Keylogging

If someone is using a keylogger on a computer, will using "Private Browsing" mode thwart the keylogger.
Thanks,
AM Woody
No, I don't think that it will.

To my knowledge, most keyloggers run independently and are not associated with the web browser itself.
To my knowledge, most keyloggers run independently and are not associated with the web browser itself. Originally Posted by Shmafty
That is correct. Plus, keyloggers capture everything you type, in any application (not just on web sites). So whatever you type into your word processor documents, e-mail (assuming you're not doing e-mail via your browser), spreadsheets, etc., would be recorded. More sophsticated spying programs (such as Spector Pro) can also be set up to periodically take screen shots of whatever is on your screen, and send them to someone (probably the person who installed the program...) via e-mail.

So basically, nothing you do in your browser (private browsing, any browser settings, etc.) will have any effect on a keylogging program.
Do you suspect that your computer is infested with a keylogger? Or is it a computer in a workplace environment where keylogging is part of the corporate IT policy?

In the first case it can be fixed. (PM for a assitance)
In the second case, you must not use it to visit this site.
keyloggers log all keystrokes typed. doesnt matter what you do with the data afterward (even encrypting it). The logger picks it all up.
That is correct. Plus, key loggers capture everything you type, in any application (not just on web sites). So whatever you type into your word processor documents, e-mail (assuming you're not doing e-mail via your browser), spreadsheets, etc., would be recorded. More sophisticated spying programs (such as Spector Pro) can also be set up to periodically take screen shots of whatever is on your screen, and send them to someone (probably the person who installed the program...) via e-mail.

So basically, nothing you do in your browser (private browsing, any browser settings, etc.) will have any effect on a key logging program. Originally Posted by laserface
Omg. Err with caution my brother!
As mentioned earlier, if it's your home you can possibly get it cleaned up with an antispyware/malware type program, or better still just format the hard drive and start-over if your suspicious. However, if it's at work and on a network there, a program designed to watch you remotely could be installed in such a way that you can't remove it. If your concern is while you're at work, a good IT person can see everything you do.

If you suspect a SO might have installed a keylogging or screen-capture program on your PC, personally I'd format the hard drive and reinstall everything immediately, and don't let the PC out of your site until you lock-down the possibility of someone being able to install software on it. IMO formatting and reinstalling is the best bet in removing a tracking software, because the risk is too high to hope a spyware/malware program catches all of them that are out there.

Also, I recommend a program like "Install-Block", which prevents someone from installing any sort of software on your PC when you're not around (ie wife when you aren't home). It requires a person input a password before it will let an .exe (installation file) install anything on your PC, and I believe you can add other file extensions (maybe .msi too). Keep in mind though that it likely only works best on home-type PC's and not the kind at work where IT guys have almighty power over your PC and you never will.