Cell Phone ????

Ok, so I retire and move way out in the country. Go to purchase a "private" by minute cell phone at the Walgreens (40 minutes away) today and when I get it home I cannot get the f'ing thing to activate. Seems the phone I purchased won't work where I am at (according to tracfone). It will work when I get closer to a "bigger" city, but who wants to drive 30 plus minutes to find out if there is kitty available. So what's a dude to do for pay per minute cell service in the country???? This is the only down side to retirement so far as not many providers will set up an appointment via email. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
  • NYr
  • 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Have you thought of Google Voice?
never heard of it, will check into it. I can't do a monthly payment gig, only PPM account. Hope this solves my issue..thanks for the reply
  • GBN94
  • 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Being vague in this instance isn't going to let anyone help you. Without knowing where you are talking about no one can tell you about the carriers' coverage maps.

With that said, if that Tracfone is GSM then its probably AT&T's network and they suck. Try and find a CDMA prepaid Verizon MVNO. Their coverage is usually better out in the boonies.
  • NYr
  • 07-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Being vague in this instance isn't going to let anyone help you. Without knowing where you are talking about no one can tell you about the carriers' coverage maps.

With that said, if that Tracfone is GSM then its probably AT&T's network and they suck. Try and find a CDMA prepaid Verizon MVNO. Their coverage is usually better out in the boonies. Originally Posted by GBN94
Didn't realize I was being vague. I appreciate your feedback.
Or check out sideline or burner. There both free cell phone apps that can be used for discretion and privacy for the hobbyist. Hope this helps.