Traffic Stop Etiquette

It had been a while since I was pulled over. I think 7 or 8 years. Back then it happened regularly as I lived in a state and city with a very heavy police presence for a good reason. Tonight’s stop was close to Cordova mall. Here is how went down:

He gets right own my bumper in an attempt to get me to speed or make a mistake. I slow down to just under the speed limit and make a blinkered lane change. He follows and hits the lights. I signal again and pull into a parking lot. I stop in a place with plenty of light. I put the car in park, turn on the cabin light, crack my window about 2 inches, place my hands on the steering wheel fingers extend. When he arrives I am nice, when I address him I use “Officer” as his name. I have all the paperwork and I’m far from anxious. He returns with a warning.

The moral is: Be nice. Diffuse a stressful situation. These guys never know what a traffic stop will be like. Do not be the asswipe that causes more paperwork for them. Make it an easy stop. Make it feel safe for them. The last stop might have been Karen, do not be Karen.
What time during the day/night did this stop occur roughly? Just curious to know if there is a peak hour.
It had been a while since I was pulled over. I think 7 or 8 years. Back then it happened regularly as I lived in a state and city with a very heavy police presence for a good reason. Tonight’s stop was close to Cordova mall. Here is how went down:

He gets right own my bumper in an attempt to get me to speed or make a mistake. I slow down to just under the speed limit and make a blinkered lane change. He follows and hits the lights. I signal again and pull into a parking lot. I stop in a place with plenty of light. I put the car in park, turn on the cabin light, crack my window about 2 inches, place my hands on the steering wheel fingers extend. When he arrives I am nice, when I address him I use “Officer” as his name. I have all the paperwork and I’m far from anxious. He returns with a warning.

The moral is: Be nice. Diffuse a stressful situation. These guys never know what a traffic stop will be like. Do not be the asswipe that causes more paperwork for them. Make it an easy stop. Make it feel safe for them. The last stop might have been Karen, do not be Karen. Originally Posted by njdevil211
A warning for what?
I've only been pulled over twice in my life. Once for speeding in the late 90's (with a small fine.... I think around 100 bucks if I remember right), and once more in the mid-2000's for a blown tail light (only got a warning, and I fixed it the next morning).
About 7. When people would be leaving restaurants with 1 to many drinks down the gullet.

The warning was for not coming to a complete stop at a red light. Which is BS, I stop at every light and sign to the point that people get annoyed with it. I did pull out and force a car to break. I think he was fishing for a DUI so let me off quick so he could land a bigger fish.
It was widely rumored in my area that the cops would mark the tires of cars at a popular local weekend watering hole
Man. My days of being pulled over ended when I finally stopped speeding
If I ever attract the attention of LE, I do what the OP does except roll down the windows and have both hands outside in plain view. Finally, unless he instructs you to do something, DON'T DO ANYTHING without permission.
I’ve been pulled over several times by the popo. I usually get pulled over once or twice a year. I always put the window down and put my hands on the wheel and wait. If it’s after dark I turn on all the interior lights as soon as I stop. I also hit a button on my device to set it to the security screen. That way if they decide to try and grab it they can’t immediately get into it. Once on the security screen you have to enter a passcode up to 15 digits. It’s a mix of upper and lower case letters and numbers. Once past that you have to pass visual identification to gain access. I figure that should keep them busy until I log into my account and disable the device remotely. Even though I’ve been pulled over on several occasions I’ve never been cited. I’m only asked for my license and paperwork about half the time. They usually look in the vehicle through the window. They don’t see what their looking for. Then they tell me why I was pulled over, give me a verbal and send me on my way. Most times I’m pulled over for some minor infraction or because my vehicle matches the description of one their looking for. My vehicle is also specially adapted for my use. I have equipment installed that’s illegal unless you’re specifically licensed by the state to have it. If the officer spots it or if I come up on a checkpoint I usually get pulled over. This results in a delay while they check to ensure my license covers the installed equipment and the equipment complies with the list of restrictions on my driver’s license.
In my younger days I drove a red (Pull me over red) Porsche...
Need I say more?
So many times people do the stupids shit when pulled over. Just do what they tell you and act like you have some common sense. If you act like an ass its very unlikely going in your favor. In this day and time put yourself in their shoes. They have no idea what they're walking into. Are their bad cops, by all means and they should pay the price for their mistakes.
Well Deere, that *usually* happens.
But there is a military guy suing over his stop where he was totally compliant, polite, and followed orders all the while being threatened, pepper sprayed, and constantly under the bead of a gun sight.
I’m thankful to have a clean record so when I get pulled over they don’t have any preconceived notions. I smile and show them how innocent I am and then I’m good to go thank you for being so understanding and keeping us safe officer!
Innocent white girl privilege.

Sexy, you def look innocent.

Still not true. But sounds good.
Hahaha look & act innocent! Except behind closed doors