the Death Penalty.. Why Bother?

22 Executions in 2019.. why not just scrap the Death Penalty?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/use-of-...ne-11576558860

there should be at least 22 executed in the City of Dallas alone, this year.. roughly 200 murders in 2019, if only 12% got the death penalty...

remember when Texas was the butt of Comedian's jokes, the punchline being "your ass will be executed in that death penalty happy State"? how ridiculous..

there has always been too much lag time between an Offense and the execution.. 8 years at least, often much more. that alone cripples the death penalty idea.
It would be a better deterrent if they actually put people to death. In the old days they hung them right away.
It would be a better deterrent if they actually put people to death. In the old days they hung them right away. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
totally agree, the process needs to speed up dramatically. and the numbers need to increase exponentially.. 22 executions is ludicrously low.
  • oeb11
  • 12-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Seriously - death penalty is not a deterrent to the crimes for which it is a legal punishment.

Horrendously expensive to keep the legal appeals process going to 20 or more years required to complete the process. costs much less to sentence to life ini prison without parole.

No doubt innocents have been executed in America - and the success of the innocence project is an indicator of the flaws in our legal process. many "Lifers" for murder have been exonerated. Even some from Death Row.

Abolish the Death Penalty.
Seriously - death penalty is not a deterrent to the crimes for which it is a legal punishment.

Horrendously expensive to keep the legal appeals process going to 20 or more years required to complete the process. costs much less to sentence to life ini prison without parole.

No doubt innocents have been executed in America - and the success of the innocence project is an indicator of the flaws in our legal process. many "Lifers" for murder have been exonerated. Even some from Death Row.

Abolish the Death Penalty. Originally Posted by oeb11
I say don't abolish it.. fix it.. here is my proposal, I'm sure it will generate ridicule, memes and insults, but fuck off to anyone who does that in advance.

1. speed up the process.. all executions occur within 2 years of the offense. that is plenty of time, and would be close enough in time to act as a deterrent. if you can't build the case that fast, forget it.. no death penalty.

2. execute ONLY those who either admit to the crime, or remain silent and don't insist they are innocent. if that is not met, no execution. and no, you can't bullshit the system and plea innocence right before the execution date. it must be within 90 days of the offense.
  • oeb11
  • 12-17-2019, 08:32 AM
An interesting thought - but omits the fact that some confessions are police coerced - particularly in lower socioeconomic areas with poor access to lawyers.
I think your proposal would result in more innocent individuals executed.

The good thing about the proposal - would shut down the lawyer gravy train of millions of dollars in attorney fees for appeals process.
I agree with Chung on this issue , It would be a deterrent if done in a timely manner , fix what the liberal re-tards have done to the system and crime as a whole will stop Just my opinion.
You also have judges who ignore evidence in favor of procedure. You get DNA evidence that exonerated a convicted man but the judge won't grant a new trial because all the Ts had been crossed and the Is dotted.
Another thought provoking thread from our resident troll.
  • oeb11
  • 12-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Not the usual narrative from the DPST manual of PC Thought!
there's the matter of the length of the exoneration. it can take up to 10 years for an individual to be exonerated of a crime due to hiding evidence; lies, unreliable witnesses and just plain bad luck that certain individuals died.

a lot of the evidence collected is circumstantial, meaning he/she "prolly" did it, instead of an affirmative "he/she did it".
Yeah, I’d bet the people who were found innocent while sitting on death row didn’t think it took too long. And the innocent people who were executed. But they’ll never know. Justice isn’t always perfect. I’m for the death penalty. Just get it right. No matter how long it takes.
if the death penalty has to be kept, it must be on a high standard.

no circumstantial evidence

solid evidence via DNA, fingerprints, audio, video, photos should be used and at least 3 witnesses.

and most importantly, no dirty tricks from prosecution like hiding or faking evidence as that is malfeasance.
It would be a better deterrent if they actually put people to death. In the old days they hung them right away. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
Actually, the concept of stoning is even older.
But, in that the death penalty is biblically authorized, yes a quite valid deterrent.
Btw I have yet to lose a discussion on this topic with ordained folks. They tend to get upset.
if the death penalty has to be kept, it must be on a high standard.

no circumstantial evidence

solid evidence via DNA, fingerprints, audio, video, photos should be used and at least 3 witnesses.

and most importantly, no dirty tricks from prosecution like hiding or faking evidence as that is malfeasance. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
agree.. except on the 3 witnesses.. too high a standard, IMO.

of course, the trick is eliminating bias and prejudice from the enforcers.. my magic ball doesn't account for that.