interesting time to be born

If you were born in the 1920's, you were growing up when automobiles took over - movies became common - the airplane entered service - horses no longer working on farms - and the mass migration to cities to work in factories.

If you were born in the early 1950's, television became a reality - then Elvis and JFK - Roger Maris 61 in 61 and Jack Nicklaus in 62- at puberty, Marilyn Monroe and James Bond to fantasize - then the Beatles - and finally the moon landing.

If you were born in the late 1980's, the personal computer started to be worthwhile - soon after the internet - mobile phones - sex at the click of a button.

What time was the most interesting to be growing up ? Any interesting times like this in the future ?
  • Trey
  • 02-01-2017, 05:35 AM
Electing a reality tv star will for sure bring intresting times. Doubtful any of them good.

As far as the other dates. Being black wasnt much fun till the 80s. Hell, jim crow didnt go away till the mid 60s. So probably now for me is the best time to grow up.
If you look back in history the 80's was probably the best era of the past 100 yrs. Exclude Motown and all the other great black performers the 80's produced the primes of Michael Jackson Thriller , Prince Purple Rain, Michael Jordan coming of age, Mike Tyson coming of age, Madonna, and a slew of Pop hits and records. I love Madonnas Material Girl and like a Virgin..

The past 8 yrs with Obama has also been a god send.
This song gives me chills and goosebumps it's so amazing. And when Michael Jackson starts his part I dam near lose it. Love and miss that guy. Lol

I would like to be the first Zero-G provider in space. (No one can hear you scream!)

So, dang it, wish I had been born in the future as safe recreational private pleasure off this rock don't seem to be in the cards anytime soon. Not tinkling, tickling, twerking, or twat-testing testicles in an ugly, mobility-hampering spacesuit surrounded by cameras and devices monitoring every body function, although I'm sure dials would be spinning!
In terms of coming of age as a teenager, I think it would have to be the 1950's. Tv changed everything.

Then the Vietnam war came. America had little choice after the pledge to "bear any burden, fight any foe"
to battle communism. Vietnam became a place where the proxy war took place, instead of the US and Russia facing off against each other. There was never going to be a battle to win there.

After that, a decade or so of dis illusionment.
The past 8 yrs with Obama has also been a god send. Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel

8 long disastrous years....failure upon failure upon, etc, etc.....

The past 8 yrs with Obama has also been a god send. Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel

You obviously do not own your own business.
Vietnam was not really a war. It was never fought to be won. All it did was kill a hell of a lot of young people for no reason
You obviously do not own your own business. Originally Posted by pyramider
I believe you mean obviously you don't own a business that has any intentions of growing because of the crushing laws against adding more employees
Vietnam was not really a war. It was never fought to be won. All it did was kill a hell of a lot of young people for no reason Originally Posted by tbone2u
That's what I mean. It was a proxy war, so that the USA and Russia did not have to fight each other, but both still could say they were doing whatever they could to promote their ideology.

It was similar to the science fiction shows depicting future wars. Wars never get fought. Each side just has to select some people to be sent off to chambers to die.
You watched too much Star Trek.
You watched too much Star Trek. Originally Posted by pyramider

Yeah, that was an odd episode, wasn't it?

Thank god Kirk arrived in time to show them the error of their ways....
Yeah, that was an odd episode, wasn't it?

Thank god Kirk arrived in time to show them the error of their ways.... Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
Cool episode. ST was ahead of its TV time in philosophical thought.

Real war is bloody horrible. It should be so awful and revolting that nobody will want to engage. Alas, those at the top of the pyramids who get countries into conflicts usually aren't the ones on the death and destruction lines with bullets whizzing by and violent explosions rocking their egos.

Pull world leaders and their congressmen/councilors out of their safe, clean offices and stick them in dirty target zones, in danger of losing life or limb, and perhaps compromise will come more easily and quickly.
what she said.....and remember....there's only one reason to go to war:

To Win !!!