Information For Austin

I'm planning a trip out into the Austin area in the next couple weeks and I always like to throw out a few feelers and find out where the best places to eat, stay and play are in a city. Are there places I should avoid? Areas that the traffic is particularly bad? I'm a total foodie so let me know where the best restaurants are. Are there any tourist attractions that I absolutely must see while I am in town?
THE OASIS go right before sunset eat out side on a high peer and watch the sun fuck the water.... the mojitos are ok feitas were very good when I went a few years ago the food was horrible but now the food menue is better but you go for the view they let down the umbrellas ring the big bell and everyone take pictures and claps at the sunset because the sun does not fade into the water it bounces up and down like it is fucking the water. Hippie Hollow the butt naked beach is right next door I hear is over run by gay men but from the looks of you YOU CAN TURN them all straight. I'm from dallas too, good luck babe.
Gentlemen seem to prefer that traveling ladies stay in either the Arboretum area or downtown. (Be aware that parking can be fairly expensive for downtown hotels, so check that out when you're booking.)

Staying downtown would afford you the luxury of being able to walk from your hotel to multiple restaurants, bars and shops. I'm a downtown girl, so I'll stick with what I know.

For restaurants, check out Home Slice, Wink, Haddington's, Hop Doddy, Leaf, La Condesa, Taverna, Cru, Kenichi, Manuel's, Justine's, The Belmont, Threadgill's, Delish, Counter Cafe and the Whole Foods on 6th and Lamar. We also have some incredible local trailer food vendors scattered around downtown, South Congress, South 1st and South Lamar (just south of downtown.)

For bars/live music venues, it kind of depends on what type of music you like, but check out Belmont/Dakota Lounge, Dogwood (Dogwood also has excellent food in the evenings), The Cloak Room (where all of the legislators hang out), Elephant Room (nightly jazz in a basement club - get there early to find a seat!) and the W Hotel (main lounge is pretty cool). If there is an event going on at ACL Live while you're here, you might be able to find tickets just by hanging outside the Moody Theater entrance at the W a couple hours before showtime. Tuesday and Thursday nights at Union Park on W 6th are a lot of fun (Muther-Effing Bingo and Gong Karaoke, respectively.) You can also find a slew of amazing local bands nightly at Antone's, Saxon Pub, & Continental Club.

It should be hot while you're here, so think about taking a kayak or canoe out on Town Lake, and watch the bats leave the Congress Bridge around sunset. Catch a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse and try the Guinness Milkshake. If you want to pamper yourself, Milk + Honey Spa downtown is my fave, but I also have a great masseuse that will do outcalls for $50/hour. (PM me if you'd like his info). Also check out The Chronicle and Do512.com for info on daily happenings in Austin.
If you are coming to austin a few places you have to check out IMO....

Restaurants -

Chuys on Barton Springs
Austin Land and cattle (Very nice steakhouse)
Hills Cafe (Great burger)
Trudys (Awesome Mexican Martinis)

For Clubs and bars - I prefer west 6th as the crowd is more my age and tamer (Dirty 6th can get really crazy at times) but the drinks on Dirty are much cheaper

There is always something to do in Austin, this weekend is reggaefest, Pecan street festival is coming up at the end of may, eeyores birthday. Go to austin360.com or austinchronicle.com for events and things to do
I would add:

Restaurants:

Phara's (Mediterranean, opens around 6PM daily, Lamb Shank is great. Belly dancer present wed on. Hookahs are available, BYOB)
Hoover's Cooking (Southern cooking - great Mac & cheese)
Kim Phung (Vietnamese - fried egg rolls I would put up against anything in Houston)
Monument Cafe (a bit of a drive from downtown to Georgetown, but it's a great dineresque place that serves great cuts of meat and all their produce is either from their organic garden or local farms)
Magnolia Cafe & Kerbey Lane Cafe (taste of Austin. Magnolia has decent grease diner food, try it if you're up and hungry at 3 in the morning. Kerbey Lane is shitty for most things but breakfast, they are known for their pancakes. Both places have a pretty good namesake queso)

Trailers:

Little Thai Food (great curry soup sold by couple of ladies that barely speak English)
Chi'Lantro (Korean BBQ taco truck - burritos, bowls and quesadillas are good)
Coreanos (also a Korean taco truck - if you want something a bit decadent but fattening, try their tacos or burritos with twice cooked pork (bacon cut))
Not Your Mama's Truck delicious sliders and fried chicken!
In addition to the areas Natalie mentioned, there are two "trailer parks" on E 6th St. within 3 blocks of I-35.
wynter,

if you want to try some east austin tex mex food... send me a PM, you know how to reach me! some of the mentioned places like chuy's is a no no for tex mex....

great pics by the way...

sixx
Edit:

... HOT pics and Good luck!
damn I should of asked for that info...... thanks girl I just moved here great info to know.
Salt Lick - Dripping Springs

thats always worth the drive..
if u are into sushi check austinsushi.com. it has a pretty extensive list of places. althought that site has not been updated in a while, it can get you started.
I wanted to drop you all a line and say thank you all so very much for all your wealth of information. It really made my visit to Austin amazing, you guys have a wonderful city, smoking hot (and super sweet) providers (special thanks to Paven who is an amazing lady) and a wonderful nightlife.

I enjoyed myself more than I thought I would and will absolutely be coming back.

Thank you again!!!
I wanted to drop you all a line and say thank you all so very much for all your wealth of information. It really made my visit to Austin amazing, you guys have a wonderful city, smoking hot (and super sweet) providers (special thanks to Paven who is an amazing lady) and a wonderful nightlife.

I enjoyed myself more than I thought I would and will absolutely be coming back.

Thank you again!!! Originally Posted by wynterstark
I didn't know the dates u were coming unless I completely overlooked it! Will def have to give you a spin next time....

sixx