Civil War never really ended in Springfield, MO

Ya'all invited to the 150th anniversary reenactment of the Battle of Wilson's Creek.

http://www.wilsonscreek150.com/
Oh, mannnn, it always comes out the same.
Yea I never understood the point of these reenactments like anythings going to change..... (hey bob this year fall down right here)......... But what the hell might be fun or at the least might be better than sitting here typing on a computer :-(
If you are just an observer you get to learn some things you probably never knew. Things like the number of battles fought in Missouri. We always hear about Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. You get outside, meet new people, and maybe have some fun. There is usually a ball. Oh yes, there are always guns around just like in days gone by before the government became afraid when everyone was heeled.
If you an reenactor, it is work but then they say something you love is never work. Research, training, practice, and hanging around with like minded people like Richard Dreyfuss and Stephen Lang. Yes, those people. Google them.
I would agree to that. I have a few original maps from the 1800's depicting where some of these battles took place. Westport, 63rd street in KCMO by the Pepsi plant (if you go down by the river/creek there you can still see where the river banks were gouged out by all the wagons "Fording" there), Mine creek battle field, cool museum other than that just a patch of weeds. The history is all around us if you care to look closely.

I recently saw a program on one education channels about Jessie James called "Jesse James' Hidden Treasure" pretty cool stuff..... One more thing if ever in Independence by the mall, across the road from the mall there is a new hospital, go up to the top floor look out the back and where the train tracks make a sharp curve and follow behind the hospital, That's where Jessie held up the train (it was called the Glendale robbery).
I will be participating. I am a soldier/living historian and will be deployed with the 1st Battalion of the Frontier Brigade. I am a private in the federal army of the west. The unit I am with was an actual unit that saw combat at places like Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, for example. They traveled over 10,000 miles during the Civil War, mostly thru the Southern States.

For me this is my way to honor those who served since I was never able to serve in defense of our country due to a bad knee.
Will the traveling brothels be in action, too?
  • guykc
  • 08-07-2011, 06:23 AM
I must say there is alot of great knowledge and history to learn from going to these things, check out the battle of lone jack reinactment. local to most not to far for others its always a great time and was a very important battle during those times. honoring our soldiers north and south is still honoring fallin heroes of our country no matter what side you believe in. we should all remember our past the people in our families who died so we could have the place we call home today. I always wanted to try out the civil war paintball one that goes on in MO sounds like fun and feels a bit more real you dont die but damn it hurts! Oenghus and JD thank you for being involved have fun and i would love to check it out more sometime and be a part.
These reinactments are fun to go to.

This photo was taken from the balcony of the White House Hotel at Hermann Landing.

"Hello soldiers! When is payday?!"
Attached Images File Type: jpg Hermann Missouri May 2010 073_640x480.JPG (88.6 KB, 153 views)
Your welcome Guy.
If you are not able to make it this coming weekend down to Republic MO for the Battle of Wilsons Creek, we will be reenacting the Battle of Lexington in Lexington MO September 17-18 it is only an hour drive from Kansas City
http://mostateparks.com/page/58227/1...ept-16-18-2011
http://www.visitlexingtonmo.com/

It would be awesome to see the camp follower reenacted lol (what women who followed the armies were called) Some were wives of the men that fought others were ladies that provided creature comforts to the men as pyramider asked if they were coming.