Trouble with a client

I need some opinions please. A client i have seen 5-6 times has always been great until recently. This client accidentally ruined my laptop by
spilling crown and coke on it. an entire cup full. granted i did have my laptop on the ground, i thought since we were both adults it would be safe. For three weeks i was promised it would be replaced, then for one week promised he knew someone that wold fix it. finally i start getting aggravated. it shouldnt take that long to replace a small laptop. Now he tells me he wont replace it because the 500 dollars he gave me the night it happened was to replace it. i tell him no that was the donation for the time we spent together that night, which was also a great discount for the 6 hrs. we spent together. am i just suppose to forget about it and act like nothing happened? Makes it very hard to to be nice to future regular clients. Ladies what would u do in this situation?
It kind of seems like a situation where there's not much you can really do...
If the most he is willing to do to rectify the situation is tell you the donation he gave you(for the time spent that evening) was meant to replace the computer, I would suggest he is not worth seeing in the future...and you should proceed as such.
It may not be completely his responsibility to replace the computer(as you mentioned, the laptop was on the floor...and if you're going to have drinks with a client, you can't be entirely shocked when accidents happen)...but IT IS partially, at least.
I would question his amount of human decency if he can't see that...and act accordingly.
Maybe you could suggest a compromise?..to avoid completely losing the 'relationship'
Just an idea.
Sorry that happened to ya, BTW...It ALWAYS sucks having to replace a computer.
It would make an interesting Judge Judy case.

Just to clarify what occurred:

Whose drink was it?
Where was the drink just before it spilled?
How did the spill occur?
How old is the laptop?

If I left my laptop in an unsafe place and a friend spilled something on it, I would propose that we split the cost for a similar laptop.

As they say, half of something is better than all of nothing.
A gentleman would do the proper thing and man up and replace or repair.
His spill = his responsibility. But you may have to accept less than full replacement value in order to get him to agree to do anything at all. If he won't, your only recourse is not to see him again and give him negative references. I'm sorry this happened to you; unfortunately there are a lot of schmucks out there.
was it a $350 laptop or a $1500 dollar laptop? it would make a difrence
His spill = his responsibility. But you may have to accept less than full replacement value in order to get him to agree to do anything at all. If he won't, your only recourse is not to see him again and give him negative references. I'm sorry this happened to you; unfortunately there are a lot of schmucks out there. Originally Posted by Gryphon
I agree 100%

was it a $350 laptop or a $1500 dollar laptop? it would make a difrence Originally Posted by jaybee
I don't think so...doesn't matter the cost, were talking about integrity and self ownership.

Sorry Tina...looks to me like you've lost a laptop and a good client.
How old was the laptop?

If it were me, depending on how old the laptop was would determine how much I would ask my client for.

He does need to man up and take responsibility for his actions. The reason I say this is because he had to have seen where the laptop was. How could you miss seeing a laptop that close to your drink? But, you also need to take a little blame too. Having an expensive item such as a laptop laying out to where it might get damaged is being a little reckless.

Good luck doll!
If he said he would replace it, then he should do what he said. Period. Hey, at those rates, put me down for a 20.84 quick!
I know that you asked for ladies to respond, Tina, but since other men have, I will add my thoughts.

He should make an appointment with you and arrive with a sweet laptop (nice upgrade) with a bow on it and a smile on his face and of course a donation for the appointment. When asked if he wants a drink, he should politely decline and then laugh. "Let's put the computer up first."

I cannot put myself in your shoes so don't place too much weight in my thoughts. If I were a lady and the same happened to me, I would ask myself how important this particular client's relationship is. I would also ask myself whether I thought that he was taking advantage of me and our relationship [note: I am not saying that he is]. I would probably also question whether I wanted our relationship to continue.

Most importantly, I feel, is that you have some wide-open hold-nothing-back communication. If you have been sharing extra benefits of time with him, remind him of that. Let him know that you feel that he needs to replace wholly or partially (whatever you think will satisfy you) the laptop. Also, if he believes that the $500 that he gave you that night was for the cost of the destroyed laptop, then he must believe that he didn't have to compensate you for 6 hours of your time.

I would be happy to spend 6 hours with you. It would be worth more than $500. And I would promise not to break your computer.
A gentleman would do the proper thing and man up and replace or repair. Originally Posted by catnipdipper
I agree. Tina, I know people who know people...
Please don't go Lorena Bobbit on him. Do the adult conversation thing. If it doesn't work, cut him off from you. Cut him off, if need be, but don't cut him off.

I am sure that we could get a few fellows here to make up for 5-6 visits and a laptop.
Have you tried the avenue of having the pc repaired?? You might be surprised that it could indeed be fixed and possibly not an arm and a leg...you might try a repair shop to get an estimate...and discuss that possibility with your customer. I have spilled drinks on my pc many times and only once did I have to get it repaired, it was around 1 ben to do it.
Once that is understood, if it is less than replacing he might be more amenable to manning up...
The laptop should be replaced by the client. He broke it, he bought it.
Would be even easier if that is a somewhat recent model laptop and is still on the market.

I would suggest providing sippy cups in the future for some of your lesser coordinated clients
thanks everyone for ur input. its very appreciated! the comp is about a yr old and its just a small one. a note book, but i guess he wont be replacing or repairing it like he said!