Snoring Question

I snore like a damn freight train and suffer from sleep apnea.

I don't want to do the darth vader mask.

Has anyone had luck with the rubber mouth inserts or something short of the mask?
I snore like a damn freight train and suffer from sleep apnea.

I don't want to do the darth vader mask.

Has anyone had luck with the rubber mouth inserts or something short of the mask? Originally Posted by Red Tex
Ask your doctor... there are out patient treatments that can help depending on the cause.
def go talk w/ your sleep apnea doctor.

i've used a cpap for many years and it doesnt bother me at all.
recently replaced the cpap machine as it died after close to 14 yrs. the new one is whisper quiet, but the tube near the mask still ventilates like the last one. again not a problem for me.

i also use a dental device/applicance. amazingly, by just pulling the lower jaw forward less than an inch, it opens up the back of the throat and reduces snoring [so my bedmates have told me :^]. down side - it's expensive [mine was 1200 in 1998!! but insurance paid a bunch o that] and it makes my teeth sore when i wake up in the morning. worse than a damn retainer. i only use it when i'll be where there isnt 120 current or i cant/dont wanna take the cpap w/ me.

but a few folks w/ sleep apnea have told me of newer models that hurt less and do the job.
i will look into those in the fall.

so, i suggest you go talk w/ your doc about options.
happy and quiet dreams :^)
When you do the sleep study, the good study clinics give you a choice of three to five masks and usually explain the pros and cons of each.
Follow your doctor's advice.

Losing weight made my sleep apnea go away.
I tried the CPAP and had a hard time getting used to it. In addition, I was always replacing smaller pieces that broke when I tossed and turned. The final issue was that I travel internationally a bunch to places that only have 220 voltage and the machine was 110. It's a pretty drastic solution, but my doctor finally recommended the removal of my uvula. I decided to take his advice and it cured my apnea and most of my snoring (unless my sinuses are acting up).

As others have noted, it's best to consult with your doctor, but there are a range of solutions that can be considered.
The surgery is not done much anymore because of newer machines seem to be easier on poeple. I had surgery done over 10 years ago, still snore if I drink beer or nose stopped up, but dont quit breathing. At time I had the mask with machine was huge. I have been happy with surgery.
Those rubber mouth inserts didn't work for me.
I think my snoring is the reason I can't keep a man. I want the surgery but my doc suggested losing 50 lbs and doing another sleep study after that before he'll sign off on it.
If your sleep apnea is considered minor to medium, then next time you go to your dentist ask for a Silent Night anti-snore device. Google it. It will also stop grinding. Silent night has worked for various guys I know including myself. Insurance will not cover it and it will set you back about $600. You will sleep much better.
I use the cpap, and have no problem with it at all, and my two brothers as well. I and my brothers think that the reason we have no problem using the machine and masks is because we are all prior military, and wearing the good ol' Mark V gas masks for hours on end finally did some good!

Also, I had my dentist make me a night guard (approx. $400.00) and it really helped as well by holding my lower jaw forward. As a option, I also had a friend going to dental hygiene school, and she needed practice patients, so had one made for $15.00. Contact Baylor School of Dentistry and you can set up this and other dental procedures.

Last, but not least, see your doctor and loose weight! (This doesn't always work, as I and my brothers are not over weight.)
I have a friend that uses a cpap and he says it is at times a problem. I believe that weight loss is the better option than surgery if that is what is causing the problem. Most times it is.

Best of luck and see a good doctor. Sleep Centers of Texas is what my friend uses.
If I used a Cpap machine I would probably strangle myself the first night. LOL.

People tell me it sounds like a chainsaw when I sleep.

I like the idea of contacting dental hygiene schools. I'm probably going to get the surgery myself at some point.
yes they work really well