For Calvin & Hobbes fans

A big smile and no dry eyes for those who grew up reading this comic strip.

Wow, Von S. That was great. I loved that strip and miss it to this day. Don't know where this came from, but it did bring a tear to my eye. Thanks.
I will admit to getting to getting a little verklempt when reading this...C&H was a staple of my childhood, can't wait until my little guy can read so I can pass the joy along
Von, thanks for the memories....hadn't thought about C&H in many moons and hell, I was already grown (in body) not mind when I got one of their books for a birthday present. I still got it plus a few more...hahaha!
Calvin was just dehydrated from pissing on all those logos.
  • MojoR
  • 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Damn dude! That brought a couple tears to my eyes. I grew up with Calvin and Hobbs. I even have them as a tattoo on my foot - to remind me to always cherish the little boy inside. Not sure where you got this, but I appreciate your sharing it! Thanks!
Damn. That choked me up.

What a sweet thing to read. Was this truly his last cartoon or was this a made up type of thing?

I have a few Calvin and Hobbs books. I'm looking at one now, in fact.
Damn Von S, that had me crying on the inside, cleaning my cheeks on the outside. Very enjoyable read, loved reading C&H even into my teens. Thanks for reminding me of them, now I'm going to barnes and noble to buy a few of their books for my young ones.
I've never thought of it as reading for young ones. But I guess that depends on what "young" is to you at this time.

Now, for me, young isn't what many might consider young.

I have a question, though. Is this the last cartoon OF Calvin and Hobbes? Or was this just one drawing and it's so sweet and sad and wonderful that we're all thinking that it's the final goodbye.

Is it really the end?
I do not know. I came across it on Facebook. I have all the C&H Books by Bill Watterson. C&H has always reminded me of my childhood. I did not have an imaginary friend or a favorite stuffed animal. However, I had many adventures from sun up to sun down away from my house in fields, streams, sewers, woods, abandon houses, and best of all my imagination. When reading C&H I was able to relate & reminisce about those adventures and imagination of my boyhood.

I remember when the movie "Stand By Me" came out. Me and my SO at the time went to see it and many times she turned to me and asked "What is this movie about? I don't understand it." Every man and boy in that theatre understood and could relate to the movie about a group of boys going on an adventure. It's no coincidence that she could not understand C&H either other to say, "No boy is like that." Little did she know that most all little boys are exactly like that and when she wasn't in her "Rose Colored Glasses" world, our son was exactly like Calvin.

No matter how young or young at heart you are, C&H can always take you back to your childhood relating to adventures and getting in trouble for the mischief us boys would get into, be it on purpose or by accident. Even as adults, we have our escapes. For me, instead of ground adventures, flying has become my adulthood C&H world and instead of a stuffed tiger I have a plastic Toothless" from "How to Train Your Dragon" (given to me by my son) sitting on the console next to the compass to guide me on my adventures in the sky.

Over the years I had wondered how the never aging Calvin would be as an adult and if at the moment in a Kid's life when Santa Claus no longer exists slowly fading into a legend his parents used to encourage him to behave, Hobbes would no longer be alive but just a memory of his imagination. Nothing more than an old tattered mildew scented relic in the attic or back of a closet. This story carries the torch to a new generation for a mirror image of Calvin to stress out his parents, teacher, and hopefully a little girl who would also one day be his Soul Mate. The innocence of one life carried to another with a little mischief inheritance.

So my hats off to Bill Watterson for keeping alive the mischievous little boy, or girl in all of us. I had posted this in 2 other locations and just as here, the responses are all similar if not the same and have brought back those memories in all of us. No matter where any of us go, who we meet and how we are affected by them, or how we live our lives in RW or Hobby World, we all have a common connection.

Here is my Hobbes as an adult below.

Von - thanks for posting this. C&H was always the #1 for me. I am not sure why these tears are on my cheeks right now. Maybe because I have been contemplating mortality for the last few weeks (trying to get a will done, life insurance, etc.) but maybe, maybe (sorry to inject Forrest Gump), but maybe it is all of that. Reading C&H at no matter what age, we all knew we were looking back at a period that would have to end. Maybe not in our mind but at least in our body.

My favorite all-time C&H was when they were playing checkers. Calvin made a move, Hobbes jumped him, the sequence goes to fighting and then Hobbes says it's just a game. Calvin says something about real life. I used this comic screen as the opening of a business presentation.

Kudo's to you Von
Musta got sumpthin in my eye...
Not sure who is cutting onions in here...thanks Von...loved that comic strip, have most of the books...greatness!!
Many years ago my Dad (RIP) gave me C&H - Lazy Sunday Afternoon. Von has been quite eloquent on this matter, and the fact that Watterson managed to touch so many, so broadly, is testament to the undying, albeit often buried, little boy or girl in all of us. Like Calvin, we all have one of those "Puff the Magic Dragon"moments where the dreams of a child and the deeds required of a man are pulled apart and put away in different boxes, but as we age the dreams reappear, get shared and passed on as the wheel keeps on rollin'.

Thanks, VS, mod retard that you are!