1st time here( Please chime in )...what makes a true "Austin Experience"?

Im coming to Austin for my first time this week and I need advice on what I should do, or go see..what is Austin known for?
I have heard that there are bats here or something...I have also heard that music is huge here as well...but thats all I know...lol.

So I though that maybe everyone could tell me one thing I should definitely do while Im here to truly have the correct "Austin Experience"...
The bats are at congress st bridge and town lake , might be a little late , I think they are more plentiful in August . Live music can be found on 6th st , or red river . Also emo's east on riverside . Other things to do are caves , and you could canoe on the lake .
All of your reviews are from right down the road in San Antonio and you know nothing about Austin? When did you move to Tx and where from beautiful?

We're glad you came. Welcome to Austin. You should do well with the cbj lovers.
Lets see...
1. Pluckers Wing Bar
2. Kerby Lane Cafe (Open 24hrs)
3. Hoeks Death Metal Pizza (On 6th, Open late, my favorite after-bar-hop destination)
4. Stubbs BBQ (Get some eats and see a concert)
5. Pete's Dueling Piano Bar (On 6th)
6. Barton Springs (I believe it is topless-friendly)
7. Buy a "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirt
8. Alamo Draft House (Eat, Drink, & Movie all at once!)

Most importantly, get some friends and hit 6th Street on Thursday or Friday. I park @ I35 for $7, walk west, and hit the places I feel like.
Austin is best known for its Downtown area, the hike and bike trail around Lady Bird Lake ( or for us oldtimers, Town Lake). it is easily accessible from many locations downtown, or Zilker Park and Barton Springs. Zilker and Barton Springs pool are the gems of Austin, and the weather is perfect to walk around and relax.

South Congress south of the river is well known for ecclectic shopping and some amazing food trailers. While in Austin, you must eat at several food trailers and experience all the different stylings. Trailers are located in the downtown 6th street entertainment district. Continental club on South Congress is a must see.

Get some groove and funk on by walking the 6th street area hopping from club to club for an amazing mix of music.

By car, venture out to the Oasis on Lake Travis for ok food, but great drinks and sunsets overlooking the lake.
Lets see...
1. Pluckers Wing Bar
2. Kerby Lane Cafe (Open 24hrs)
3. Hoeks Death Metal Pizza (On 6th, Open late, my favorite after-bar-hop destination)
4. Stubbs BBQ (Get some eats and see a concert)
5. Pete's Dueling Piano Bar (On 6th)
6. Barton Springs (I believe it is topless-friendly)
7. Buy a "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirt
8. Alamo Draft House (Eat, Drink, & Movie all at once!)

Most importantly, get some friends and hit 6th Street on Thursday or Friday. I park @ I35 for $7, walk west, and hit the places I feel like. Originally Posted by jteamandfriend
Can't leave out Magnolia Cafe
Can't miss Z' Tejas (the one on 6th) or Chuy's (the one on Barton Springs)
The bats are at congress st bridge and town lake , might be a little late , I think they are more plentiful in August . Live music can be found on 6th st , or red river . Also emo's east on riverside . Other things to do are caves , and you could canoe on the lake . Originally Posted by DIE HARD
I absolutely agree with Die Hard. Sadly! I know little of the bats and their habits, besides what I have read about. Bats and caves have little interest to me. Therefore! He is the expert on this subject. It tried to think of a better more appro. place place for a younger woman, after I read your profile. I hope I didn't take any thunder away from you Die Hard. However! I'm a bit restricted being an older gentleman, and not germane to what you like as a younger woman. Older men like us in younger venues are called creeps!

I first came to Texas and was first stationed up the road at Fort Hood, TX (near Temple, TX), in 1979. First place we soldiers to hit and party at was 6th Street live, and I have always gone there since.

My most memorable experience for 6th Street was actually seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn play live, at a very cheap price, when he was still an up and coming artist. Loved his music ever since! 6th Street’s venues are a requirement for anyone visiting Austin.

My other personal favorite place (since 1980), and should IMHO, be a requirement for visitors to dine at is the
County Line Restaurant on the Lake. I don’t know if you are watching your diet. Going to this restaurant will blow ALL diets to Hell and back! The BBQ food is fantastic, and all you can eat: can go up to seven different choices of meats, with side dishes. I travel frequently, and I find only a few BBQ places that match the County Line’s rustic environment, outdoor patio and scenery, friendly attitude, or consistent quality of food. JMO! Here is the link for the restaurant. Go to the lower left YouTube video, and you can see the back patio, and still see how the restaurant looks and the attitude there. IMHO; a very Texas-friendly place to go, where Texans and out-of-town travelers are all welcomed. I should mention that the restaurant is a lot smaller, than what appears in the video. http://www.countyline.com/CountyLineLake.html, then go to videos.

Town Lake is also a very good place to see. BTW it was renamed Ladybird Lake, and you will here it referred to by two different names depending on whom you talk too.

I enjoy staying in the Holiday Inn overlooking the lake, in the executive suites. A bit pricy, but utterly relaxing if you just want to shut down for the day(s) and relax, or meet someone special. I spent the better part of the day drinking scotch whiskey, sitting beside the window and just people watching. On the lake, you constantly have boats sculling, kayaks, rowboats, and a paddle boat tour(s), and I’m not sure if they serve dinner or wine for patrons of the tour. My ECCIE date also felt the same way, was very impressed by the view. We just enjoyed the views, our companionship, the special time between us, and just let Life simply pass before us. Here is a link from Trip Advisor for the lake:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...s.html#REVIEWS.

I should add (and I'm not promoting them for points) that the Holiday Inn does have some food tours (I believe the cost was $53 a person), to three separate restaurants, and with three different menus. I wasn't very impressed by my choices at this price. However! A contractor in the same hotel offers rental Sedgeway tours, for a nominal cost. I don't ride Sedgeway's; but perhaps you do. I saw several patrons taking Sedgeway's along the lake walkway. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to Austin, TX. Emerianna! I know that you will enjoy yourself! Even though I live in Corpus Christi (my second favorite place in Texas, and please never mind the naysayers, which are laughing as they read this comment),
Austin is still my favorite city in Texas. As I’m used to saying; Austin has “big town trappings,” with a small-town atmosphere and attitude. I try to get to Austin whenever I can and is well worth the trip time. Just watch out for the traffic on IH-35. It is a bitch. It isn’t Sam Houston Parkway, but Austin seems to not be happy taking second seat to anyone!

Typhon

Well for some local flavor, go shopping on south congress south of the river and make sure to check out lucy in disguise and uncommon objects. eat at guerros right there for a good austin mexican food choice.
Cool River if your intent is to make a few bucks while here. It's predominantly a crowd of upscale restaurant-bar mature folk who haven't yet accepted being too old to prowl bars hoping to get lucky.
You're only competition there are the cougars who aren't any competition at all for a pretty youngin such as yourself.