Look! Down in the water! Is it a shark? Is it a giant tuna? No, it's a U.S. Navy Robofish!

I thought this was pretty cool.

Seems to me that it could be quite an asset for the U.S. Navy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tuna-fish.html
Part of the defense of the Navy is being a small target in a big puddle of water. I can see real recon and mission specific applications with these fish, but the key would be the range of the fish drones. If the range is poor they can help the bad guys figure out where the command vessel is ...
I thought this was pretty cool.

Seems to me that it could be quite an asset for the U.S. Navy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tuna-fish.html Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
an updated under water mine that is no longer tethered; or a torpedo that can be guided like a drone. More machine stuff. Beware the machines. Like the drones, now injuring innocents in the park; coming close to flying into jet engines like geese except with explosive material. Who needs missiles.
...If the range is poor they can help the bad guys figure out where the command vessel is ... Originally Posted by pyramider
Well, maybe ... if the bad guys are able to spot the fact that the thing is actually not a fish! I envision this type of vehicle being used to surveil jihadist groups and other nefarious characters when Navy ships are being refueled or maintained in foreign ports. The USS Cole was bombed about 15 years ago in Yemen by a couple of attackers in a small craft. Perhaps assets such as this could help mitigate such risks.

an updated under water mine that is no longer tethered; or a torpedo that can be guided like a drone. More machine stuff. Beware the machines. Like the drones, now injuring innocents in the park; coming close to flying into jet engines like geese except with explosive material. Who needs missiles. Originally Posted by doug_dfw
Indeed, I think it should be clear enough that very strong efforts to keep this sort of thing out of the hands of civilians will be of critical importance.
I wanna catch one! I wonder if it would put up much of a fight?