Guys am I missing something here...

ok let me just say this- if we look across America there are a lot of good and a lot of bad. Let's focus on the bad: economy, jobs, education, health care, and a lot of those problems could be improved if there were fund for it, but the issue is where do we get the funds from?
Ok let's face facts- and this is not directed at any one party because both parties have done the same thing-- nearly 8 years ago we gave 87 billion dollars to rebuild Afghanistan and we also have given countless billions to Pakistan and other countries. Now I don't have problems with U.S donating to countries after a disaster, but why do we seem to be quick to send billions overseas before we help our own people.
For example, Afghanistan was in rubble and pretty much in the stone age before we invaded so why do tax payers have to shell out 87 billion dollars to rebuild their country when we have communities that could benefit from 87 billion. 87 billion could send a lot of children to college which can only help the U.S in the long run.
I remember about 8 years ago at a Pharmacy meeting- the DM mention the company was going to england to recruit some Pharmacist to work in the States- a Pharmacist at the meeting was bold enough to say: "why are we wasting money recruiting overseas when we got Pharmacist in this country who could be hired... I remember the DM making a remark with the implication that if Pharmacist in this country wanted a job they could have one if they put the effort to apply for the job.
Am I too simplistic in thinking that the U.S spends way too much fixing other countries problems than our own? The only 2 politicians that I have heard that actually pretty much said in some many words "fix shit here" and fuck the other countries were Ron Paul and Jesse Ventura- both have said they wouldn't spend an extra penny in Iraq or Afghanistan regardless if the public thinks we bailed out.
I think i have point out all the money we give to outsiders & then bitch about helping people in our own country
I can see your point and I agree with some of what you say but I can also see the other side of the question. I hate for government to waste my money, that's my job. On a microcosm level let's say that you have your house in a neighborhood and you're doing pretty good. Just down the street is any house with a bad family. The parents drink and abuse their kids. The kids are usually behind the trouble in the neighborhood. One kid seems to be a little different but history says he will go the way of his older brothers and sisters before long. You offer him a job working around your house with little jobs. This gives you a chance to talk to him and to demonstrate that no matter what your family is you can be whatever you want. Your wife complains that you're wasting your money on this piece of crap and she doesn't want him in her house. I think you're doing a good thing but if you take the head delinquent from the family and try the same thing you're wasting you're time and money.
Some countries we can help and some we can't. A western power with a history of democracy is easier to put back on the right track than a destroyed dictatorship. Iraq had a civilization so we may be able to help them. Afghanistan...I just don't think so. I would also think that the countries in the region would give a rats ass about how something so close will affect them (but we have a Mexico problem don't we).
I have said for years that ANY government spending should be done with US companies only if any are available. I hated it when Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama give away money so other countries can buy things from the Russians. On the other hand, I was also disgusted when the French provided aid to the tsunami survivors but only on the condition that they buy some French airplanes with it. I mean, come on, there is a time and place for everything and I don't our country to be so stingy that they cut deals in times of crisis. Speaking of crisis, why haven't we followed through on the aid to Haiti? Billions promised but less than half a billion delivered. I still remember a time when a crisis occurred and the US would flood the country with relief because we are a good people.
Good point John especially on the billions not delivered to Hatii that was promided- i am not sure if that money is tied up in red or bureaucracy or what but it's just sad. I still have a trouble with Afghanistan I mean it was pretty much dust and ruble before we invaded and we are going to rebuild that country?
It seems lately the U.S policy is to invade a country spends billions on advanced weapons destroying the crap out of the country and then re- build the country with tax payer dollars- simply amazing!
That's not only something we've done "lately", but something we've been doing for over a hundred years. After the Spanish-American war the United States spent millions re-building Cuba and the Phillipine Islands. I've read several books about Teddy Roosevelt, and you can be sure that it wasn't all that popular back then.

Then, of course, the Allies (primarily the U.S.) spent a furtune re-building Germany and Japan after WW II.
Why haven't we provided the money to Haiti? One simple answer Sen Tom Coburn R-OK. He put a block on the aid to Haiti, such a fine republican and christian, who happens to be a Dr also, but why would he want to help the voodoo loving blacks of Haiti, or anyone in his own state or country!!!!
You know I feel sorry for the haitian people, I feel sorry for the Chinese and the Pakastani people, but until we can feed the poor in the Apalations and the poor living in every ghetto in every city, and give homes to the millions of homeless Americans, provide medical services to the poor, and provide the same services that we supply to other countrys that hate us for being America, I say charity starts at home and thats where this money should be spent.
All Tom Coburn is against is borrowing the money from the Chinese to give to the Haitians which my grandchildren will have to pay back to the Chinese with interest. The Haitians have received millions in funds donated freely by Americans and others. I'm with Coburn on this one.
DD I have to agree with you I would much rather see it stay here to help us, but when we made a commitment to them that we would help then we must keep them.
In the future we should take care of us first, if we dont then we will all suffer
...I feel sorry for the Chinese and the Pakastani people, but until we can feed the poor in the Apalations... Originally Posted by dirty dog
Solution: You feed them. In exchange, they teach you how to spell.
All Tom Coburn is against is borrowing the money from the Chinese to give to the Haitians which my grandchildren will have to pay back to the Chinese with interest. The Haitians have received millions in funds donated freely by Americans and others. I'm with Coburn on this one. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
[extra thick sarcasm on] Yeah, God forbid you're grandchildren would have to pay a few extra bucks. Let those people that happen to be black die. [extra thick sarcasm off]

Coburn can suck it in hell.
Longer, did you donate a good sum of money directly to the Haitian relief efforts? You seem to desire the government to donate a bunch of our citizens' dollars (whether those individual citizens want to or not). By the way, I did directly contribute - dollars and time.
Longer, did you donate a good sum of money directly to the Haitian relief efforts? You seem to desire the government to donate a bunch of our citizens' dollars (whether those individual citizens want to or not). By the way, I did directly contribute - dollars and time. Originally Posted by northdak2003
Dude your wasting your time, monger is a do as he says not as he does kind of guy. He likes to talk the talk but seldom does what he preaches.
Solution: You feed them. In exchange, they teach you how to spell. Originally Posted by Longermonger
Wow Monger that's clever, someone else must of thought of it. You take the time to proof read all the posts, I will spend my time making money. I have donated my money to programs to feed those in America, what have you done, other than to show everyone what a butt monkey you are. So I will tell you what, I will worry about my spelling, you worry about your herpe's.
Longer, you can take the racism out of it. I would have the same stand if it was Norway. And my grandchildren's money is not my money, and I resent the government putting them over $40,000 in debt before they are even born.

But the racist comments are out of line. You have no idea who I am, or what my experience has been. That was just a cheap shot.