Chiefs Give 100,000 Fans Heart Attacks, Win Anyway

Well, that was was a close one! After successfully icing Buffalo's kicker on a 53 yard field goal in overtime, the Chiefs missed a 39-yarder, let Buffalo get almost back in field goal range, and finally kicked the winning field goal with 5 seconds left in overtime. I still have chest pain.

The Good

Jamaal Charles--just how good is this kid? Last week a Buffalo talk radio host commented that he was averaging 6 yards a carry, and hadn't even played the Bills yet. I think his average went up this week. Wow.

Tony Moeaki--great clutch catches. Reminds me of that other Tony.

The time out just before Buffalo's OT field goal try--I disagree in principle with the practice of calling time out just as the ball is snapped to make the kicker kick it twice, but I'm not above cheering for this one.

The Bad

Derrick Johnson dropping two easy interceptions--DJ has been a beast this year, but he should have had both of those.

Mike Vrabel's facemask penalty in OT--way to almost lose your team the game, Mike.

The Ugly

Haley's decision to go for it on fourth down in the first quarter of a scoreless game rather than kicking a short field goal--I've said before I like a coach who is willing to gamble, but you've got to pick your spots. If the Chiefs have that 3 points, the game never gets to overtime and I don't lose 2 years off my life expectancy.
Quit complaining about going for it on 4th down when we win!!!! Even if they had kicked a field goal in the 1st qtr you don't know that we wouldnt have ended up tied and going to overtime...coulda shoulda woulda...They still won, they are still in first place...
  • KCJoe
  • 11-01-2010, 08:55 AM
I shut the tv off and went for a walk when Buff tied the game. I figured the Chiefs had lost at that point. I was surprised to the point of disbelief when i found out they'd won.
Agree with Gryphon, Derrick Johnson drops a potential TD, Dwayne Bowe drops another in the end zone. Yes it was a tough one to catch, but he had one hand on it, should have pulled it in. Those two plays are made and the Chiefs are coasting in the 4th quarter. DJ and Bowe each had drops in Indy too, make those and the Chiefs are 6-1. Yeah, they are a young team, but these two are veterans on a young team. They need to make those plays. Maybe as the season goes on they will. Gotta hand it to Buffalo though, they are tough. They rang up what was it, 34 on Ray Lewis & Co.