HOUSTON STRIP CLUBS team with police

HPD (Houston police dpt) teaming with tons of strip clubs... from Houston Chronicle article few days ago...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...me-5018222.php
HPD (Houston police dpt) teaming with tons of strip clubs... from Houston Chronicle article few days ago...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...me-5018222.php Originally Posted by tigertea
I don't quite understand why this is an alert. However, there are some good discussions in the Strip Club area about the settlement.

xoxo,
LMx
It's not an alert, moved here..
It's not an alert, moved here.. Originally Posted by Mojojo
Thank you...as a fierce opponent of human trafficking as well as proponent of person freedom, I hope everyone takes the time to educate themselves on this settlement.

I think most will agree, overall, it's a good thing. Some clubs may be going overboard with the elimination of VIP areas, but that's their choice. Most likely it's because arrests (not convictions) in their clubs could cause them to fall out of the settlement arrangements.

Just the elimination of the 3ft rule should be grounds for celebration! Bring on the lap dances and bare nipples!!!
Overall, good and bad. First, it's almost like the city is linking strip clubs to human trafficking which as we all know, has no linkage.

Secondly, with this deal, the city is admitting that their original rules did nothing to fix any problems they had perceived but it created an enforcement nightmare for them. I mean, while they r enforcing some weird 3 ft rule that is unenforceable, for example, some real crime is not being attended to.

So does it come down to if u pay, u can avoid the rules? Does that mean clubs that don't pay have to observe the rules? I imagine the courts should look at it since it's like we r creating a rule for the rich who can pay and a different set of rules for those who can't. That's how it normally works in real life but I cannot imagine the city of houston actually saying that's the law of the land as is written in our books that the only way to b exempt from a law is to pay the city some amount of money. Maybe some lawyer can expand on my argument coz i sure am curious if this will stand up in court.
Overall, good and bad. First, it's almost like the city is linking strip clubs to human trafficking which as we all know, has no linkage.

Secondly, with this deal, the city is admitting that their original rules did nothing to fix any problems they had perceived but it created an enforcement nightmare for them. I mean, while they r enforcing some weird 3 ft rule that is unenforceable, for example, some real crime is not being attended to.

So does it come down to if u pay, u can avoid the rules? Does that mean clubs that don't pay have to observe the rules? I imagine the courts should look at it since it's like we r creating a rule for the rich who can pay and a different set of rules for those who can't. That's how it normally works in real life but I cannot imagine the city of houston actually saying that's the law of the land as is written in our books that the only way to b exempt from a law is to pay the city some amount of money. Maybe some lawyer can expand on my argument coz i sure am curious if this will stand up in court. Originally Posted by chess9718cb
I wish that there was no correlation between some of these clubs and human trafficking, but that's just not the case...

I agree with the rest of your statement and if I have time, I'll look into the legal precedent for settlements such as this one. I don't think other clubs have to pay to be part of the settlement (though I haven't read enough to be sure), but rather have to apply to be part of it and then have to adhere to the rules set out in the settlement regarding pimping, criminal records, private areas, etc.

I'll get back to you on that....like you, I find it quite interesting.
I wish that there was no correlation between some of these clubs and human trafficking, but that's just not the case.. Originally Posted by LilMynx69
I'm opposed to and sickened by the existence of human trafficking, but this statement is completely false...and frankly makes no sense?

First off, stats 101, correlation is not causation. Are you trying to say that as the number of strip clubs increases, so does the occurrence of human trafficking?

Second, If your argument is that the existence of strip clubs in Houston promotes or facilitates human trafficking, then I would love to see the "legitimate" data that supports this and where it came from. I can see how someone could argue that "pimp run prostitution" fuels and facilitates human trafficking, but that wasn't the stance taken. If you know for certain about "some clubs" that support human trafficking, then I would be interested in knowing which ones to avoid.
It's a shakedown........Plain and Simple..........
It's a shakedown........Plain and Simple.......... Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
And that's the bottom line!
I'm opposed to and sickened by the existence of human trafficking, but this statement is completely false...and frankly makes no sense?

First off, stats 101, correlation is not causation. Are you trying to say that as the number of strip clubs increases, so does the occurrence of human trafficking?

Second, If your argument is that the existence of strip clubs in Houston promotes or facilitates human trafficking, then I would love to see the "legitimate" data that supports this and where it came from. I can see how someone could argue that "pimp run prostitution" fuels and facilitates human trafficking, but that wasn't the stance taken. If you know for certain about "some clubs" that support human trafficking, then I would be interested in knowing which ones to avoid. Originally Posted by thor66
I meant to say that the clubs involved in trafficking are not THESE. Clubs, but the undergrounds ones like cantinas. Though, I've peesonally worked with many Eastern European girls working at some of these clubs under clubs, under very suspicious circumstances with pimps and such. That's what what they are trting to prevent.

I feel I need to add that the organization I work with, Houston Rescue and Restore Coalition, takes a string stance on the difference between consensual sex workers and those trafficked.
^^^sorry about all the typos...I typed that on my phone at the bar last night (that new Ruth's Chris is awesome!). I didn't want the thread to go WAY off topic when I largely agree with everything said.

The (rare) problem I've seen associated with legitimate clubs (and not sanctioned by those clubs) will be helped by the no pimping provision. That was the point I did not clearly make earlier.
I meant to say that the clubs involved in trafficking are not THESE. Clubs, but the undergrounds ones like cantinas. Though, I've peesonally worked with many Eastern European girls working at some of these clubs under clubs, under very suspicious circumstances with pimps and such. That's what what they are trting to prevent.

I feel I need to add that the organization I work with, Houston Rescue and Restore Coalition, takes a string stance on the difference between consensual sex workers and those trafficked. Originally Posted by LilMynx69
I appreciate the clarification. I can definitely see under the radar cantinas and sketchier joints being a hotspot for what you described, and am glad to hear there is a distinction made between consensual vs. those being trafficked. We might be seeing eye to eye after all.
I appreciate the clarification. I can definitely see under the radar cantinas and sketchier joints being a hotspot for what you described, and am glad to hear there is a distinction made between consensual vs. those being trafficked. We might be seeing eye to eye after all. Originally Posted by thor66
Trust me, I'm all for strip clubs. They know me by name at several. And while this settlement is bizarre, I think it's a good starting place to get rid of the ridiculousness that's been going on with the 3ft rule and latex, etc. As well as the abject harassment of Treasures relating to the civil suit with the city. That's where the REAL shakedown is...because they sit on such valuable and highly visible land.

By the way, just so you know re: "Stats 101," I'm rarely a fan of statistics as support or proof of anything. Mostly because in my academic background, I know firsthand how they can be skewed and misinterpreted. I prefer to speak from actual personal experience of what I have seen with my own eyes, heard with my own ears. It makes it much easier to have a strong opinion and form a valid argument. I should have stated that upfront, but I was in a hurry to drink my martini...

Back to the other point:

Houston RR lists the following on their website. I can't imagine who would disagree with this stance.

MYTH #3:
ALL PROSTITUTION IS HUMAN TRAFFICKING

FACT:
While all “child prostitution” is human trafficking, not all adult prostitution is human trafficking. For various reasons, some people in prostitution voluntarily enter into the trade and want to continue in the industry. We also find that some trafficking victims, who are freed, will return to prostitution. Distinguishing between adult prostitution and adults who are trafficked into prostitution is vital in effectively identifying and assisting victims.
It's a shakedown........Plain and Simple.......... Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
Well, sort of...in my opinion it's a way for the city to save face but essentially admit they were wrong and waving a white flag of sorts. The past several years, in my opinion have been the shakedown...holding legal business hostage, harassing them with constant raids, enforcing ridiculous laws and costing the clubs far more than $62k each.

It may be a shakedown, but $62k in strip club dollars is about the same as the $100 bill on my nightstand...
The city will license the clubs in the coalition. Will the county follow suit? I have suspected that the city was more vigorous in enforcement than the county.