Idea for Prepaid/Discounted Legal Services

I am a rather new poster here and not many of you are from where I am so I think that this is a great place to ask for opinions on an idea that I had. You can be as brutally honest as you like because you do not know me.

I am an attorney. Like many attorneys or for that matter any small business person I am always thinking about ways to get additional business and cash flow. My idea is to market prepaid or discounted legal services to providers and maybe hobbyist. Why you may ask? It is because LEO may think that you have committed a crime or two. While we know that is the farthest thing from the truth, it is just a fact of life.

Here is the meat of my idea. For a low monthly rate say $70.00 to $100.00 or $840.00 to $1,200.00, per year I would provide:
  • Ten Phone Consultations/year
  • In Office Consulations for $75.00
  • Two Free Appearances for Traffic Tickets/year
  • Discounted Representation for Other Criminal Charges
  • Discount on Personal Injury Representations
  • A 24/7 phone number to arrange bail

I would also like to have some value added things like seminars on safety and website marketing. However, there maybe ethical implications with these. I am certain you other attorneys would point that out.

This is not an all inclusive list and this idea is in its infancy. Therefore, I welcome any and all suggestions. I also want to know if you think the idea sucks and simply won't work.
  • GNG
  • 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM
This wouldn't interest me in the least. There's a reason I'm on P411, and there's a reason I only see well-reviewed, established providers.

This may work for those that troll BP and accept its inherent risks...but not me.
I'll take office visit for $75 lol (sorry couldn't resist) You might try putting this in the legal/business section as well, good luck

Roger- I think you are right. A provider friend of mine expressed the same thought.
Pre Paid legal... $19.95 a month...
Ben- yes. Prepaid legal services. How would I distinguish my self from them and the other legal HMOs that are about? That is something I would need to consider. Maybe providing a direct connection to an attorney, me? Maybe providing a more personal service? Certainly would want to show that going with me has some value added benefits, right? Thanks for point that out to me I really do need to consider these things if I decide to more forward.
But are you licensed to practice in multi states or just SC? If not then why would I retain you unless I am planning on being in SC a lot? Laws in every state vary so unless you have some network going on it really isnt going to work.
Big problem with lawyers in the USA is very common for every lawyer:

They are just too greedy and money is what rules their life.
Nothing else.

If you compare US lawyers to lawyers of any other civilized country, you would throw up and really hope that you will never need one.

They are legalized scum and nothing else.
Big problem with lawyers in the USA is very common for every lawyer:

They are just too greedy and money is what rules their life.
Nothing else.

If you compare US lawyers to lawyers of any other civilized country, you would throw up and really hope that you will never need one.

They are legalized scum and nothing else. Originally Posted by waverunner234
And if you're in trouble, of course they want to help you,
JUST AS FAR AS YOUR BANKROLL GOES.
Kymberlane- You would not want to hire me. I am licensed in several states but only practice in SC. I am not looking for work here. I am just looking for help.

Waverunner- Greedy lawyers? Everyone is greedy. No one works for free. Oh, yeah, except for lawyers and a few other professionals who are ethically obligated to provide pro bono services to the poor. Believe me I do my share. What is your occupation? Will you work for me for free? Please? I thought not.
Waverunner- Also, you have the right to represent yourself but you know what was said about someone who represents himself, "he has a fool as a lawyer and a jackass as a client."