Is OP access of PT a myth?

Okay I just gotta find out... this is nothing more than that.
im confused!
im confused! Originally Posted by Absolutely
I may be mistaken, but believe he's referring to Original Poster being able to read material posted in Private Tags. Even if OP is a provider, thus making comments in PT readable if YOU are the OP. I have heard this also ! Absolutely start a thread and I will comment in PT , consider it a little experiment .
Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP.

is how I read it
Originally Posted by blenderhead

I've been told that it is indeed true that the person that starts the thread can indeed read everything in the thread. A lady PMd me once about something I wrote using the private tags in a thread they started.
I thought that one of the mods addressed this question a few months ago and said the answer is no - unless the OP has PA, they can't see what is in PT. I don't have the time right now to go searching for the post because it was, I believe, only tangentially related to the thread topic it was in. One of them will have to chime in.
I thought that one of the mods addressed this question a few months ago and said the answer is no - unless the OP has PA, they can't see what is in PT. I don't have the time right now to go searching for the post because it was, I believe, only tangentially related to the thread topic it was in. One of them will have to chime in. Originally Posted by Fratelli
+1

I believe it was ztonk who clarified that the OP can't read private tag contents if he/she doesn't have PA.
  • ztonk
  • 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I believe it was ztonk who clarified that the OP can't read private tag contents if he/she doesn't have PA. Originally Posted by Beagle
Indeed it was... a lady can never see inside PRIVATE tags, and only gentlemen with Premium Access can. Doesn't matter who starts the thread.

This is the ECCIE intended behavior. Obviously this is different than the way things worked on ASPD.

ztonk
AustinModStaff
A San Antonio mod would disagree with you. He gave me some tasty points to help me remember just that! OP he states can read all posts in the thread. If that’s incorrect, I was persecuted unfairly. But I probably deserved the points for something else LOL
We all believed that the person who starts a thread on ECCIE can read private tags for a long time. Even the mods thought so. It was that way on ASPD.

The mods now say it's not true.

Someone without premium access try it out. Start a thread, have someone else make a post with a private tag comment and see if you can read it.

I'm also wondering whether you can read private tags in your own posts.

Unfortunately, the software quality of all this bulletin board software is so bad, it wouldn't surprise me if the answer changes from time to time, or even from user to user.
Indeed it was... a lady can never see inside PRIVATE tags, and only gentlemen with Premium Access can. Doesn't matter who starts the thread.

This is the ECCIE intended behavior. Obviously this is different than the way things worked on ASPD.

ztonk
AustinModStaff Originally Posted by ztonk
Hummmm....

Here is the THREAD I posted in Private Quotes and received "TWO" points for my comment as the OP was able to read my remarks who happened to be a provider.

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...10#post1643910

Post #9
  • ztonk
  • 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I think that's about the time we found out the behavior is different.

Post in a thread started by a lady with something in private tags and see if she can read it...

z
Unfortunately, the software quality of all this bulletin board software is so bad, it wouldn't surprise me if the answer changes from time to time, or even from user to user. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
Just to be clear, ALL bulletin board software seems to suck, not just vBulletin, or how ECCIE is administered. Yet another reason to be careful online. Any board may leak information or get hacked.
I think that's about the time we found out the behavior is different.

Post in a thread started by a lady with something in private tags and see if she can read it...

z Originally Posted by ztonk