Used Car

Where's the best place here in SA to purchase a decent used car? I was nearly killed two weeks ago by one of those VIPs that have to text while they drive.
Craigslist?
I'd like to know too. Craigslist is great but so many of dealerships rip people off. I'd like to go to a good one that has decent vehicles. Not end up at another Drivetime lol. I need a newer car that has good mileage.
What is your price point Ms. Milani and notb4u?
No more than 12.
I assume that $12K is out the door with tax, title, and license. With $12K, I would consider CarMax as a good target. A buyers check will have you in an even better position with them.
Thanks PC for the info. I plan to check them out this week.
I need a car myself,

Supposedly it was an alternator problem but there
Ended up being metal scraps in my engine so I'm currently
Car-less and need one asap
I assume that $12K is out the door with tax, title, and license. With $12K, I would consider CarMax as a good target. A buyers check will have you in an even better position with them. Originally Posted by PillowChaffer
CarMax will rip you off big time bc they provide their own financing therefore they can charge whatever they want. If you have fair credit go to a new car dealer's used car department
you can get a lot of used car for 12K. Best cars are
Honda, Toyota, Nissan...IMHO Do your homework and use Kelly Blue Book or you WILL get screwed. If you have cash look for somebody trading in their car that you would like and buy it from them.
I have found many cars listed on let go....they look like they are in good condition and they are all local....prices seem fair too!
No car dealer is going to sell you a (new or used) vehicle for less than it's worth, and they'll all try to overcharge you if they can. My recommendation is to buy a used car guide from Barnes and Nobles, such as Consumer Reports. They will give you a review of the vehicles, either good or bad, and they will name names. They will tell you which cars are recommended (reliable), and which cars to stay far away from.

You should also pick up a used car pricing guide, such as Kelly Blue Book, or you can use your phone to look up the value on the spot.

The only way to get a decent car, at a good (fair) price, is to know which cars are reliable, and to know the value. Once you find a car, you show the salesman the value, and tell him/her that this is what you will pay - and no more. If he's at all decent, he'll take the offer because it's fair to you, and also fair to him.

Making sure the car is mechanically sound is a different story altogether. For that, you'll either need to be somewhat mechanically savvy, bring a friend who is, or pay a mechanic to inspect it for you.

Getting a new/used car is always exciting, but also a little scary. Spending $5 - $10 on these guides makes it less scary. In addition, they will probably save you a lot of money.

Good luck.
I hated buying a car in Texas. Everywhere else I've lived Blue Book was the sticker price and you negotiated down. Here you have to make them come down to Blue Book.
Best way to test drive a used car is by turning on the defrost on high heat while test driving, if something is wrong with the thermostat, radiator, or waterpump, it will show up after a 15 minute test drive. Car will be leaking if something is wrong. I am just putting it out there since those are some of the most common used car problems.