LMTs / RMTs - quick question on frequency

How often should (could) one get a massage?

I know from experience that two in one day is brutal. What would you suggest for a maximum? 1 per week - every other week - once a month?

I'd ask my massage girl, but she might fudge just to get more appointments. Not really. but I'd like an opinion or two.

The physical benefits of a massage last for about 7 days so I'd say once a week if maintaining those benefits in your goal. However every client is different so while once a week is perfect for one, once a month is perfect for another. It depends on what you want out of it.

If I could, I'd get one every three days.
  • ~Ze~
  • 07-17-2012, 04:33 AM
I go to my chiropractor once a week(working on a current issue) and my masseuse every other week... I figure the chiro will lessen once I get back to a manageable level.

Dharma - is there a such thing as too much "work"? Could someone over-massage and cause issues?
Too much deep tissue can be bad.
Thank you, Dharma. (nice to meet you, by the way.)

I had two in one day once. My wife "Surprised" me on a day where I had already spent 90 min with my favorite sexy masseuse. "Honey, guess what. I made us appointments for massages tonight."

Anyway, I felt horrible that night. I was feverish. My vision was blurry and I just couldn't get comfortable. I haven't felt that way before or since.

I agree, though, I'll get massages as often as I can. That was the reason for my query.

Thanx for your help.
You can over massage. Massage works toxins, waste and metabolites out of soft tissue and moves it into the lymph and blood stream for elimination in the normal fashion. If a lot of toxins and waste are moved out of tissues and either you don't drink enough water to eliminate them or it's more than your body can eliminate in that short time, the waste and toxins settle back into your tissues. At the least this will cause you to feel sore or at the worst, feel like you have the flu. Always drink plenty of water or coconut water after a massage. And just in case you're wondering, beer does not count as water. I know you're disappointed but I don't make the rules.
Nice to meet you too, BOZ
@~Ze Sorry for the long response, I was talking like a chick again. Yes, a person can over massage and cause problems. Give them proper feedback. If the massage has become irritating, let them know and they should stop. Injuries usually occur because of either poor or lack of training of the therapist or poor communication between client and therapist. If you ever feel that something isn't right, speak up immediately.
You can over massage. Originally Posted by Dharma

I bet you say one can masturbate too much, too. I say nay ...
nah....