SW FW to Plano at rush hour

haven't done a rush-hour commute to the eastern half of the Metroplex in a looong time. For those of you who make the drive more frequently, what's the best way to get from southwest Fort Worth (say, near Bella's incall) to Plano at rush hour? I-20 to PGBT? And how long would I plan the drive to take if my ETA was 9 a.m.?
the route sounds good.. if you are arriving at 9:00 a.m. in Plano, I wouldn't leave a minute past 7:30.. and if I could, I'd change that arrival time to 10 or 11... that drive will be brutal..
Whenever I have had to travel to the opposite end of the metroplex and needed an exact ETA, googlemaps has worked very well.

Not sure if you are able to use it on your phone for privacy reasons or not. I'd say an 90min to 2hrs given the time of day.
  • L.A.
  • 10-23-2014, 09:29 AM
It's such a long distance there are a million things that could happen on the way..especially during the morning commute. Good luck!
be sure and lean on your horn a few times during the trek... it will piss off those drivers around you, but it will provide you some brief moments of sanity..
the route sounds good.. if you are arriving at 9:00 a.m. in Plano, I wouldn't leave a minute past 7:30.. and if I could, I'd change that arrival time to 10 or 11... that drive will be brutal.. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
I can probably let the arrival time slide to 9:15 if traffic is bad, but 10 or 11 is out of the question. And I can't leave much earlier than 7:30.

I had to go to Northpark last week. Going in was a killer. I guess I'm spoiled by Fort Worth traffic, but I don't know how anyone does that on consistent basis. Coming home was fairly easy -- if I didn't leave until 5:45 and hit southbound Central until then.
20, 35,183, 161 -> 190 = plano the fastest and less painful.
20, 35,183, 161 -> 190 = plano the fastest and less painful. Originally Posted by bored@home
I-35W into downtown and up to the 121 split is a real pain in the ass at that time of day. And while 121 up into Hurst should be okay, I'm leery of construction on 183. I'm unfamiliar with traffic patterns on the PGBT, so I don't know where the problem areas will be on it, but I do think I should avoid a transit of downtown FW on either I-30 or I-35W at that time of day.
20 east to GB is not too bad at that time of day. Avoid 360 at all costs.
Can you use google maps?

Curious bc every single one of your questions and concerns could be answered if you can.
I can use Google maps, and I already pretty much know the various routes I can take. I'm trying to figure out which would be best by asking people who are more familiar with traffic patterns than I am.
I-35W into downtown and up to the 121 split is a real pain in the ass at that time of day. And while 121 up into Hurst should be okay, I'm leery of construction on 183. I'm unfamiliar with traffic patterns on the PGBT, so I don't know where the problem areas will be on it, but I do think I should avoid a transit of downtown FW on either I-30 or I-35W at that time of day. Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
Construction has cleared, from Hulen mall area I can turn it in 1 hour 45 mins during morning commute.
The 35 / 121 change over can slow but moves, the 183 slot can drag but moves, next hiccup is the 183 / 161 merge, after that it moves pretty quick...70,80, 90 mph segments then back to 70's past dnt.
The alt is looping the other way on 820 and circling around up to the express lanes through euless then continue the 183/161 route. Moves only a little faster but is longer distance and cost more.
I can use Google maps, and I already pretty much know the various routes I can take. I'm trying to figure out which would be best by asking people who are more familiar with traffic patterns than I am. Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
I travel the Dallas tollway almost daily and just like everywhere else in dfw its unpredictable - especially at rush hour. Your best bet is to Googlemap it that morning and look for the red spots - for that morning - then pick one of the three or four route options gmaps gives you. Give yourself 2hrs just in case it gets worse anywhere along the way. Good Luck.
Whenever I have had to travel to the opposite end of the metroplex and needed an exact ETA, googlemaps has worked very well.

Not sure if you are able to use it on your phone for privacy reasons or not. I'd say an 90min to 2hrs given the time of day. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
Can you use google maps?

Curious bc every single one of your questions and concerns could be answered if you can. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
I travel the Dallas tollway almost daily and just like everywhere else in dfw its unpredictable - especially at rush hour. Your best bet is to Googlemap it that morning and give yourself 2hrs just in case it gets worse anywhere along the way. Good Luck. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
don't sweat it... THN receives a commission payment each time she mentions Google Maps, LOL...
don't sweat it... THN receives a commission payment each time she mentions Google Maps, LOL... Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Like Peyton with "Omaha" ...but its all for a good cause
The traffic layer on "G" maps is pretty nice, I use it multiple times a day to slow my angst.

To the op SL, not sure the reason for the trip but keep in mind a couple things.
1. Ftw traffic is a cake walk compared to Dallas, brace yourself
2. Once you get past the airport, don't use turn signals
3. If you have issues with depth perception don't worry it's not needed/used on Dallas roads (hence the number of wrecks you will see)
4. In Dallas do not use the blue tooth built into the car, here to fit in while driving you hold your phone 1 inch from your face...always..even when not in use
5. It is perfectly acceptable to get one car length ahead at any time and by any means possible; cut three lanes, ride the exit only, use the shoulder..skys the limit
6. Take a really good piss before you leave, you never know when or where 10 miles will turn into 2 hours