Something I have been thinking about for some time now

Ok So I have been thinking about this for a while now and want to know what you guys think about it or if this is a cause that you would be invloved in or maybe even donate to.

Ok here goes !!

I have always wanted to do everything in my power to help other people and do what i can to make the world a better place. This christmas I had to ask for a little help it was very hard for me todo so because I have never been in a place that i needed it. This got me thinking more bout this teen shelter that i would like to start. I Know that it is a while away before i would be able to start it, but I would like to start a non-profit homeless shelter for teens. It would give them a safe place to live along with good healthy food as well as tutoring and help getting back in school if they arent already going as well as get them clothes and personal care items. I would like to have a computer lab so that the kids have the chance to look for scholerships to collage and apply for jobs and research things for school. There would also be special classes for homeless pregant teens and some kind of incintive program for them to earn things for there babys or children. (New clothes,toys and such) I would also like to have a daily group time so that the teens can express themselves and talk about anything they would like. I know how hard it can be even being an adult and to be a child or teenager out on th streets with nothing and being cold. I could never imiagine how it feels to live on the streets and have nobody. Of course you can never help every child but if this place even helped one child it would be worth it to me. I dont plain on being a provier forever (dont worry im not going anywere any time soon) and when i retire this is what i want todo. It will let me do what i do best take care of others and make a difference in the lives of the kids that will be running this country one day. This is something that has been on my heart for sometimes now. Sorry if it sounds like i am ranting!! Thanks for taking the time to read this .
Kaci, it's great to see someone get passionate about an issue; it's those types who move mountains. Great to see you're infected.

Do you have experience in working with teens, in shelters? Are there some established shelters that could use assistance?
  • npita
  • 12-27-2009, 06:14 AM
You can do more good and start right now by becoming politically active and working to elect people who are interested in furthering those goals. I plan to be out registering voters for the 2010 elections.
I dont have much experience in shelters but with the New Year comming i will be starting to volenteer at the family shelter here in Arlington On Friday nights they have ladies come in and do mini-makeovers for the ladies. I would love to ba a part of this and help the ladies feel better about themselves. There are so many people in the world that have so much less than i do which means its my duty as an american and as a christian woman to help these people with whatever i can.

You know its funny some of these people just need somebody to listen to them somebody that cares somebody to give them the push to want to do better.
Kaci,

I think you are in the Arlington area so this may be too far for you. But Plano has a shelter for teens called C.I.T.Y House and I know they always need volunteers and donations. I have volunteered off and on there for years.

In Dallas there is Promise House for pregnant and teenage mothers that does counseling, GED classes, Job skill classes, budgeting, etc as well as helping them get into apts and housing and setting that stuff up.

And also in Dallas is an organization called Captains Hope, they service all of the children that are in homeless shelters in the metroplex. They service from infants to teens and usually are in desperate need for diapers, wipes, underwear/socks for older kids as well as hygiene products. I did a few holiday drives for them a few years ago and it was great!

You might contact or look online at those organizations to see how you can get started helping while you work on your ultimate goal.
I like your vision, Kaci. You have a big heart, to want to help people in these situations. This world needs more people like you.

Imagine That
I dont have much experience in shelters but with the New Year comming i will be starting to volenteer at the family shelter here in Arlington On Friday nights they have ladies come in and do mini-makeovers for the ladies. I would love to ba a part of this and help the ladies feel better about themselves. There are so many people in the world that have so much less than i do which means its my duty as an american and as a christian woman to help these people with whatever i can.

You know its funny some of these people just need somebody to listen to them somebody that cares somebody to give them the push to want to do better. Originally Posted by Kaci Snow

Great thread!

And your above comment is a great start on your part. I personally have 1st hand knowledge of this. As I volunteer at a undisclosed shelter for abused women & children.
Start with volunteering. You'll find that it's quite rewarding. You have to have an open mind, an understanding, compassionate & caring soul and the willingness to be there for them at any given moment. Even if it's just a listening ear they're in need of. One thing to keep in mind. Never let them feel that they are being judged. Not saying you would. However, others may make them feel that way and it keep them down rather than helping them.

Giving of your time to help others is by far the most rewarding gift you can give yourself. Cherish every moment!
I have been doing alot of research the last week or so on this subjuct and the need for something like this in Arlington and I have not found one shelter that is totaly centered around teenagers and assisting them with safe housing and meals and help with school or returing to school helping with getting these young pregnant teens to a doc and hooked up with the right services to get th medical help they will need to have a healthy baby. These Kids will be the ones running our country in a few years and we need to give ever single one a fighting chance to be the best that they can be. I have been looking into the licenses and tax information to get something like this together. I will slowly but surly be researching ever aspect of getting something like this started up. There is so much that goes into something like this but i tell you what i am gonna make it happen no matter how long it takes. I say I will provide for another 5 to 6 years and after that i hope to have gathered enough donations and saved enough of my own money that i can really get this started and make a safe place for these kids to go.

LL-- Thanks for the great info these places are kinda far but a distance is nothing when it comes to making a difference in peoples lives. I have looked up all 3 places and will be doing more research and reading there whole website to find out which would be the best fit for me and where I can best be used at.
Speaking from strictly a "business" perspective, I would recommend that you get involved with one of the many shelters, there are some great ones out there, (some have been mentioned) and learn how they do things. Especially learn what they do well and watch what they do poorly. (ps: don't tell them what they're doing wrong, volunteers can be upset easily)

It will help you meet the people who truly want to make a difference and give you insight as to what needs aren't being met.
Kaci,

I think this is a wonderful idea and would be happy to assist you in this if needed. I have a lot of experience in volunteerism, so I know a bit about moving around the system, etc.

I amso glad that we were able to help you and the other ladies and this is a great example of what I was hoping would happen. I know it is cliche, But Pay it Forward!
PPE--You guys were truly an angel this year i was able to make a beautiful Christmas Dinner for my family and there was enough for all 12 of us. I was really worried that i wasent going to be able to do this for them and because of you guys i was able to get it done.. Thanks again.

I will def. be working with some shelters in the very near feature so i can learn as much as i can and so i know what works and what doesent work so well. Also what can i offer these kids that they cant get at any other place. The norm is a place to live and food and maybe some reffereals to some community services but thats it. I want todo so much more than just the norm.
Well good for you! Your right, in that sometimes all people need is someone to listen without judgment, and a shoulder to lean on. While I recognize this, unfortunately I am not always the most personable person (you can take 'em out of Uncle Sam's canoe club, but after 20+ plus years you can't always take the canoe club out of 'em) so I do what I can to help with material items, supplies, maintenance, etc. My point is, identify and understand your limitations and abilities, and use this knowledge to identify your particular notch to fill that is suitable to both you and the organization. Also, you can use this knowledge for training to improve. The most important thing is that you, we, do something to help others (this applies to animals as well) as who knows, someday it may be us needing the helping hand up. And it is also good for the soul of all involved.
one thing to remember if you try to do your own , Gov agencies will do a thorough background check on you , they will find out stuff about you that you didnt even know .
volunteering at one would be a wiser choice if you really want to help but watch your back as well . one slip up and they could possibly turn your life upside down .

i know it may sound mean to say , but sometimes its best to keep a distance .

Your heart is in the right place and i commend you for that Kaci .
Kaci,

Your post touched me more than any other this year. Thank you for that.

Since you asked for comments, let me reinforce that "volunteer first" for a while step. In college I volunteered weekly at a teen crisis center and it was very meaningful for me at that stage of my life (prehistoric times - lol).

You have probably done all this but... Out of curiosity, just did a search under "arlington tx teen crisis center" and saw there are many leads, although a lot related to teen pregnancies. You may also want to check out some churches in your area.

To contribute and count or feel needed is an essential human quality. Some feel it and show it more than others. You are obviously one of those people.

Braveheart

PS. Thanks for motivating my first ECCIE post!
Thank all of you guys for all the help. There are several crisis centers here for teens but none of them provide shelter for them. I will def. be voluintering for a long while with the kids that i would like to do this for its something that is imortant to me to atleast put the effort in and really see if this is something that i am postive that i want to do as it will take alot of hard work and dedication and it may come out that i am better used as just helping the folks that already have these great centers set up. Im not sure what time has in store for me but i do plan on finding out if this is something that God has put me here for.