i just found 5 providers on facebook without even trying.

So I wasn't sure if this should be in the alert thread or what, because this could be a potential securtiy issue for providers...
I just had to upgrade my Facebook app on my phone and had to accept the new terms of use. I agreed, and now I have a huge list of people in my suggested friends. I immediately noticed two providers that I know well in my suggested friends. So I dug a little further and kept scrolling through the suggestions. And found 5 providers that I know in have had contact with, and several other girls that in think are providers that I haven't met yet, but may have texted or called once before.

So my point is, that I was able to find a provider and see all of her photos, places she has been, real name, real world place of employment and all the other personal info that you have on Facebook.

I'm sure this is old news to some people, but this seems to be hapoenign because of changes to fb policy pretty recently. They seem to be cross referencing your ip address or phone calls and making suggestions for friends based on who you make contact with.

So as a provider, if it were me, I'd want to know that. So set your profiles to private, so some freak that has been stalking you online can't see all your personal stuff!
You might want to contact those five ladies and let them know their FB is outing them.
  • NYr
  • 08-10-2014, 02:04 PM
You might want to contact those five ladies and let them know their FB is outing them. Originally Posted by pyramider

I Agree.

They have something linked between hobby world and real life which is linking them. Probably some contact info they gave you (phone number, email etc) which FB picked up off your phone...maybe even a picture.

this is a PERFECT example of keeping things separate folks...EVERYTHING.
Actually when you accepted the new terms from the facebook app on your phone, you now allow them complete access to all info in your phone. They use it to cross reference phone numbers and email addresses to names on facebook. They then start adding them to the people you may know list. I deleted facebook off my phone due to this happening. They also search your contacts friends on facebook and add them to the list.

As I said, I deleted the app from my phone and I no longer have these people popping up anymore.

PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE (NO I AM NOT ADVERTISING OR GETTING PAID TO SAY THIS)

The main problem these days are that the apps make their terms of service so long to read so no one reads what access you are giving them. To fix this there is a free app that requires no permissions whatsoever, not an email addy, name, or any access to your phone. Download DCentral1 (all one word) from the google play store or the apple store. It is free. The program will run in your background. When an app wants to update it will give you a complete list of all permissions it is seeking. You can read them all in 2-3 seconds. Then you decide if you want to give them permission or delete it all together. Its caused me to delete many apps from my phone. Of course the worst app wanting access is facebook. They want everything from your contact list to the ability to take pics or turn on your microphone on your phone. Why the hell do they need these ? You will also find most free apps will require the most permissions.

Best of luck and stay safe !
Amen. Never sign up a Facebook account or anything that could connect your real life info with your hobby life. Like set up a personal page with your hobby email. There are WAYYY too many creeps out there who actually do check for things like that.

There have been guys who have literally posted links of girls' real Facebook profiles. That's one reason I have tried to keep my face pictures to a minimum in the past and I don't even like to post the intersection near where I live anymore.. Too many weirdos! Lol
+1 on letting those girls know. If it was me, I'd want to know.
If you can see them, they can see you. scary
In another city, someone posted a FB photo of a Craigslist provider he found by searching FB for her phone number.

I RTMd it but it was never removed.
It's may not be the phone, it is most likely Google. If you have a gmail account every thing starts getting connected. I use a gmail account for my hobby stuff, only for my hobby stuff. Today when I searched for a friend on Facebook on my home computer as a recommendation a provider friend came up under her real name with pictures of her kids even. It's not the first time this has happened.

And the phone number deal works also. I just picked a random ad off BP and put the phone number into FB. This provider's personal page came up with her real name and tons of information.
I Agree.

They have something linked between hobby world and real life which is linking them. Probably some contact info they gave you (phone number, email etc) which FB picked up off your phone...maybe even a picture.

this is a PERFECT example of keeping things separate folks...EVERYTHING. Originally Posted by NYr
I also use a different email account and pictures
Yep. Google/Gmail likes to match up emails....
If you update your facebook contacts on an internet account where you have received emails from providers you can have those providers show up as contacts in your personal facebook account with family and friends. Be careful.
Just a point of clarification. The new terms of service where Facebook gets access to info on your phone is for the Facebook Messenger phone app only, not the regular Facebook phone app. I don't have it, but Messenger apparently makes it easier to send PMs without having to go through your main app. Lucky for me, I never signed up for Messenger.

+1 on letting the affected gals know.
Scary
2 quick things to help avoid this too.....

1. Create your Facebook account with an email address you don't use for anything else. I created one on yahoo since it was free.

2. Don't list your phone number on Facebook even if it is blocked for others to see. It will still enable your account to be searched using the number.

FYI... I hate Facebook !!