going to Mars

If we colonize Mars by 2050 like Mr. Musk hopes to do, who is going to volunteer.....you will never come back to Earth.

And what are they going to eat after they get there ?
  • pxmcc
  • 01-21-2021, 07:42 AM
If we colonize Mars by 2050 like Mr. Musk hopes to do, who is going to volunteer.....you will never come back to Earth.

And what are they going to eat after they get there ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
It isn't possible. Earth's ozone layer, atmosphere, and magnetic field are the only reasons why life on earth is even possible. Mars has none of the above. Musk is a smart guy; he should know better. Temperature regulation requires an atmosphere to have any hope of moderating temperatures. And of course Mars has little to no chance of having liquid water, even underground, although at one time it had massive oceans. (They got boiled off along with the atmosphere.)

Cool fact: part of Mars during a specific time of the year has daytime temperatures in the 70s-80s. Slightly warmer than Cali..

the whole idea of abandoning earth for greener pastures after we fuck it up is just hilariously idiotic. so ya, lets do our best not to fuck up earth (any worse than we already have..)

food wise, colonists would need to grow their own food in sealed, enclosed greenhouses.
It isn't possible. Earth's ozone layer, atmosphere, and magnetic field are the only reasons why life on earth is even possible. Mars has none of the above. Musk is a smart guy; he should know better. Temperature regulation requires an atmosphere to have any hope of moderating temperatures. And of course Mars has little to no chance of having liquid water, even underground, although at one time it had massive oceans. (They got boiled off along with the atmosphere.)

Cool fact: part of Mars during a specific time of the year has daytime temperatures in the 70s-80s. Slightly warmer than Cali..

the whole idea of abandoning earth for greener pastures after we fuck it up is just hilariously idiotic. so ya, lets do our best not to fuck up earth (any worse than we already have..)

food wise, colonists would need to grow their own food in sealed, enclosed greenhouses. Originally Posted by pxmcc

So are you suggesting that Martian created climate change led to the entire destruction of their atmosphere or that climate change is an inevitable reality that we really have no control over?
  • pxmcc
  • 01-21-2021, 03:10 PM
So are you suggesting that Martian created climate change led to the entire destruction of their atmosphere
i hear they were republicans..

or that climate change is an inevitable reality that we really have no control over? [/QUOTE]
nope. if that was the case, i wouldn't talk about it
You can grow food, but in the meantime, what are you going to eat while you wait ?
  • pxmcc
  • 01-21-2021, 06:41 PM
You can grow food, but in the meantime, what are you going to eat while you wait ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
mres..
So are you suggesting that Martian created climate change led to the entire destruction of their atmosphere
i hear they were republicans..

or that climate change is an inevitable reality that we really have no control over? Originally Posted by pxmcc
nope. if that was the case, i wouldn't talk about it[/QUOTE]

But you did talk about it.
In another post you seem to be claiming that humanity has the ability to do something about climate change. Based on that post and this one I can come to two conclusions.

1) You believe intelligent life once existed on Mars that was capable of destroying it's atmosphere and creating a barren planet in which life ceased to exist and that is the path that Earth is on...or

2) You realize that in the big scheme of things man really has nothing it can do about climate change and that the sun is what rules our planet's destiny. Always has, always will. Elliptical orbits and axial tilts combined with ebbs and flows in solar activity, have everything to do with climate change.

Do you have a third theory that I'm overlooking?

The reality is that Earth likely will eventually become Mars and there isn't a damn thing we can do about that. Man will continue to adapt as we have for the last 5000 or 1 million years, as you believe, until we are no longer able to adapt because either the sun burns us up directly or an extinction level event puts us into 1000 years of darkness. There is a high probability that an ELE will destroy us long before our atmosphere is eroded away by the sun.

IMO there are far more important things I can control and should be concerned with like which single mother is most deserving of my next donation.
You can grow food, but in the meantime, what are you going to eat while you wait ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
You bring enough with you until you can make organic soil by using human waste and grow potatoes in a sealed habitat.
That's how Mark Watney did it in The Martian...
He "scienced the shit out of it"
Chances are good they will run out of food. Then there will be riots and pillaging.

Ummm......sounds like Earth.

However, to get back on track, it s a voyage from which you will never return.

Will you go ?
Sign me up...
Wait, will there be hookers and gas station hot dogs?
Now we're talking about REAL climate change

Some of the articles I read said Mars had water and an atmosphere but through a combination of factors (gravity, solar wind, etc) it drifted off or destroyed. Some articles say Venus is in the same situation. And the Earth will be too.

Not a damn thing we can do about it.
  • pxmcc
  • 01-24-2021, 03:53 AM
Now we're talking about REAL climate change

Some of the articles I read said Mars had water and an atmosphere but through a combination of factors (gravity, solar wind, etc) it drifted off or destroyed. Some articles say Venus is in the same situation. And the Earth will be too.

Not a damn thing we can do about it. Originally Posted by gnadfly
other than stop burning fossil fuels, you are exactly right..
When has the climate not changed?
It happens by the minute.

If it stopped changing, we'd have real trouble.
  • pxmcc
  • 01-25-2021, 04:33 AM
When has the climate not changed?
It happens by the minute.

If it stopped changing, we'd have real trouble. Originally Posted by Slitlikr
yes but is it random or directional. and can we intercede. those are the questions..
Did the Martians intercede?