Dressing age appropriate for guys.

I saw this thread for ladies started by Nina Sastri and it got me thinking. I am approaching 40 and am starting to wonder about what is or is not appropriate to wear. I realize I am approaching a time when it is only appropriate to wear sports jerseys to sporting events. I unfortunately like the Affliction type T shirts, and I still really enjoy wearing cargo shorts and a baseball cap. It is fairly simple as a guy to dress for work, but it is not so easy for social functions. How does one avoid douchebaggery in dressing while still giving the appearance of a man with style? Ladies, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Meerschaum, since your from Dallas I suspect there's darn few places you wouldn't fit in wearing decent jeans and boots. Avoid shopping for your shirts at Walmart and you're good to go! LOL
Cargo shorts and flip flop are perfect for the pool or watching football at home. But guys take the extra few minutes before coming out into the world and think about us ladies....We do so enjoy looking at a nice dressed man, whether it be while eating wings at Hooters, shopping at the mall or walking into my Incall. Be comfy but have a lil style as well......A pair of jeans paired with a pull over is always a winner in my book. Then once the door is closed......Just get naked and Im happy.....YUM!!
  • GBN94
  • 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I unfortunately like the Affliction type T shirts....... How does one avoid douchebaggery in dressing Originally Posted by Meerschaum

since apparently you're drawn to looking like one you should just hire a stylist

your problem seems to be less about age appropriateness and more about a lack of fashion sense or refinement
http://www.kinowear.com/blog/15-quic...n-tips-for-men

http://www.express.com/mens/index.se...FQqR7QodRwoAKA

http://everyguyed.com/

http://www.mensfitclub.com/age-appro...tire-for-guys/

I love a man dressed neatly.........silk dress shirt/silk slacks/loafers and a smile!
Or rugged look---washed jeans/silky colored tshirt/biker boots and a smile!

I especially love a man that is NEKKID...with a smile! lol
  • Dawgs
  • 08-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I took my grand kids to the waterpark a few weeks ago. My 15 yr old granddaughter noticed that my swim trunks were speedo brand and had a blast telling her friends that I was running around in a speedo.

I love a man dressed neatly.........silk dress shirt/silk slacks/loafers and a smile! Originally Posted by DallasRain
Silk trousers and a silk shirt??!!!! You'd look like a refugee from Saturday Night Fever. I've never even seen silk pants. And silk is very warm.
lol---oops ,I meant those nice dress slacks they sell at Macys............Ralph Lauren
At my age, I can't wear a ball cap backwards. I can't bring off the sockless shoes with cargo shorts look either. Here in Houston, a good non-business look for me seems to be casual slacks with a golf shirt. I buy Izod or other name brand when thay are on sale. For a little more dressed up look I throw on am sport coat. Don't usually wear a jacket with button down shirt and tie, but if its right for the event/venue I'll do it. Whats the big deal?
Silk trousers and a silk shirt??!!!! You'd look like a refugee from Saturday Night Fever. I've never even seen silk pants. And silk is very warm. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Ever been to a Tommy Bahama store?

Didn't think so.....

You don't have to spend alot to look good. Like was said earlier...just stay away from Walmart, Kmart, JCP, Sears......

Try going to a Nordstroms. Believe it or not, they have personal shoppers there who will help you dress age appropriate. If not there, then buy some magazines. Walk thru the malls. Look at the displays. It's not rocket science.

Buy some good (and I mean good shoes). Wear a nice watch.

If that's too hard....Khakis and a golf shirt.
I like Tommy Bahama clothing!
Silk trousers and a silk shirt??!!!! You'd look like a refugee from Saturday Night Fever. I've never even seen silk pants that I couldn't sleep in! Originally Posted by TexTushHog
+1. Fixed it for you.
I saw this thread for ladies started by Nina Sastri and it got me thinking. I am approaching 40 and am starting to wonder about what is or is not appropriate to wear. I realize I am approaching a time when it is only appropriate to wear sports jerseys to sporting events. I unfortunately like the Affliction type T shirts, and I still really enjoy wearing cargo shorts and a baseball cap. It is fairly simple as a guy to dress for work, but it is not so easy for social functions. How does one avoid douchebaggery in dressing while still giving the appearance of a man with style? Ladies, your input would be greatly appreciated. Originally Posted by Meerschaum
Oh. I hope I don't hurt your feelings when I say this because I am only giving one woman's opinion. When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I thought was "as long as a man isn't wearing Affliction shirts over 30 he probably looks fine".
It may just be an association I have with the brand, but I lived in LA for a while and it seemed like the obsession with youth out there was rampant among men too and I saw so many guys getting botox & lip injections, spray tanning, wearing Affliction tees & True Religion jeans, and generally trying to fool people into thinking they were still in their 20s when they were clearly in their 40s & 50s.

I have no idea how other women feel about this, but when i think of a mature man I just think of someone who looks well groomed, like he's responsible enough to take care of himself, and not too trendy. I think jeans and a tee shirt can be attractive on a man of any age as long as it fits well, but if you aren't being paid to model the brand you don't need to wear it all over your clothes.

A man with style, well that depends on your style. Are you a "what would James Bond wear?" kind of guy? Or are you looking for something more low key? I think the ladies decided that dressing age appropriate for ourselves means wearing whatever you want as long as you have figured out what is flattering to your body type. If you are the kind of guy who likes to hang out with friends in the backyard and BBQ then flip flops and a hat are appropriate for your lifestyle. I would probably prefer to see a man in regular chino pants and a solid colored tee shirt than cargos and affliction, but that is because I prefer simplicity in everything.

Buy what you like, just make sure it fits well, and that means you should be able to see the lines of your body. Even if you don't like the lines of your body, wearing baggy clothes that aren't the correct size just makes a person look frumpy and disorganized. Oh yes, I have noticed that men tend to keep their hats too long. Hats absorb sweat the whole time you wear them, and after a little while they start getting really gross. If you are going to wear hats, make sure they are clean and fairly new.
I use J Hilburn. www.jhilburn.com
They will send someone to meet you you pick the fabrics and the build the shirt custom. Its fantastic and not that expensive. Then the shirt fits perfectly in every way. Also you can order one at a time.
I have no style. Some of us don't. I'm working hard on losing weight, but I still overheat really quickly (the doctors still can't tell me why) so I do shorts and loose shirts. And that's the way I've been, even when I was in great shape.