Life: Keith Richard's Biography

A good friend (music producer) called and told me he had just read Keith Richard's biography in one sitting and that I had to read it, asap.
I ordered Life on audio CD since I am doing so much driving. It's narrated by none other than Johnny Depp, who does a great job. I've gotten through 6 chapters (slowly savoring) and am only up to 1965, when they had just really taken off with Satisfaction, and Keith was just starting to get into the drugs.

The man kept diaries all the way back. He starts out with a great hook scene of troubles with the law in Arkansas or Alabama (one of those red neck places) while they were on tour and then goes back to the end of World War 2 and his childhood in bombed-out London. The writing is detailed and interesting, in a very strong voice.

The story of the Stones early development is fascinating. They had NO money; they stole to get Charlie Watts, and Bill Woods came with an amplifier they needed for their first big gig. They were blues men straight through. The rock and roll thing evolved as they took blues riffs and attitude and gave the Chicago Blues back to white Amercia through rock/pop.

I highly recommend the read to any Stones fan.
They are, after all, the World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band!!
And it's amazing that man lived to tell the tale.
Thanks for sharing, Keith.
@ CJ - Thanks for the post. I love the Stones. I listened to some my favorite Stones’ tunes Sunday as I added the songs to my MP3 player.
  • WTF
  • 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Does it Glorify drugs and debauchery or show it to be the scrounge of society that it is?

Bill Wyman, member of the Royal Academy of Horticulture but also has a son who married the mother of his ex-wife...go figure hee hee!
Bill Wyman is just wierd. There is something so deviantly wrong about a man in his 40's dating a 13 year old. Ugh.

Keith Richards kills me. I saw the Stones back in 2005 at Fenway. Arguably one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Richards just chain smoked all the way through, looking quite oblivious to everything but happy to be there....constantly smiling and giggling. I will say Jagger looked gaunt..even for him...but hell that man has energy. He was on the go non-stop for the entire 2hrs. Stones over Beatles any day

C x
Bill Wyman, member of the Royal Academy of Horticulture but also has a son who married the mother of his ex-wife...go figure hee hee! Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
Bill Wyman is just wierd. There is something so deviantly wrong about a man in his 40's dating a 13 year old. Ugh. Originally Posted by Camille
I recall their being some kind of hillbilly circle-jerk involving him...I just don't recall the order. Was it the daughter then the mother...or the other way around? Either way.....

Stones over Beatles any day

C x Originally Posted by Camille
And The Who or The Kinks over either....