Places to shoot Windmills and Old rigs?

• R.M.
  • 10-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Would someone point me in that direction. I would like to take my camera out and shoot some older rigs windmills houses etc. Thanks so much.
American Wind Power Center, they have display of over 200 windmills.
1701 Canyon Lake Dr Lubbock
Denver City has a bunch of punp jacks. You could also drive between Seminole and Andrews on 385.
Spearman has a windmill farm on the edge of town. Kind of out of the way I know. As far as scenery, there is an old windmill on the back roads between Claude and Silverton this is part of the Palo Duro Canyon-would make a great background.
There are some beautiful canyons and old style windmills north of Amarillo between Dumas and Borger on FM 152.

For old drilling rigs, I saw some a while back south of Odessa toward Crane. I don't remember exactly where though. I have also seen then west of Odessa outside a little town called Monahans.

If you ever get up around Gillette, Wyoming...There are some cool places to shoot outside of town to the east toward Devil's Tower. Plus it is worth the trip and expense to rent four wheelers and go up on Big Horn to Bear Lodge Resort.
  • R.M.
  • 10-16-2017, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone I'm driving up this week and will check all these locations out.
  • R.M.
  • 01-21-2018, 03:53 AM
Denver City has a bunch of punp jacks. You could also drive between Seminole and Andrews on 385. Originally Posted by Tex9401
I might try Seminole this trip and maybe Andrews. Thanks again for great references.
You might give the petroleum museum in midland a try, you can get good close ups and several point of view shots, lots of old derricks and machinery behind the museum

Also, 16 miles west of Odessa is penwell, there is an oilfield junkyard, tanks, heater treaters, oilfield junk, per say, it might make a good sunset shots
Windmill Museum in Lubbock is great. Has some great old windmills.
  • R.M.
  • 01-27-2018, 05:30 AM
Taking more notes. Thank you much.
I can give you tour and get you close to wind turbines while your in Odessa sometime. But you can get decent photos on your own around Notrees and drive down to McCamey and get some good shots also.
Some old wooden Derricks off 285. In Pecos
  • R.M.
  • 03-02-2018, 05:02 AM
Thanks again for the great info. I will post some images on my next trip.