Audiophiles

• Toyz
  • 03-29-2015, 10:15 AM
My headphones have finally seen the end of their days...I am looking for a mid range over the ear set. I want to cap the budget at $300. (a bit over OPEC rates). Am leaning towards Sony beating out Bose my just a hair. Not a "beats" fan. Was looking at some Polks, but a couple of the reviews turned me off on dependability.

Major use is when working (or playing on the internet at times) I'll have the headphones on and listening to music. Bluetooth is not mandatory as am usually stationary when I have them on. I don't want something that makes me look like a NASA test pilot either...

This is the current leader

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Any thoughts or opinions out there?
I went through the same decision process a year ago.
The deciding factor turned out to be the long term comfort on the top of your head. The Bose padding is far superior to Sony. This is extra important during a 4 hour flight, and was worth the small percentage price difference.
I've always liked Sennheiser for comfort and sound - there's one just above that price and just below. I like the open air ones because often I want to know what's going on around me.
  • tzv13
  • 03-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Go with Bose or Technics. Those are my 2 favorites. Please don't be dumb and get Beats.

http://allhiphop.com/2014/05/13/dr-d...ed-14-to-make/
  • Toyz
  • 03-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys!

All are being considered (not the beats-a bit too much base and muted highs and lows for my tastes).

Comfort is critical to me as well and agree the bose I was able to try on met or exceeded most others.

I have some insider contacts so that might be the final deciding factoid between a tightly packed group. For those of you that know what I'm talking about, its a critical decision!
Glad you're not a beats fan. Since they separated from Monster Beats hasn't been the same. The quality is cheaper now. Bose aren't so durable but good on bass, I think Sony might be the better buy.
  • tzv13
  • 03-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Fry's Electronics has a display with some Bose headphones that you can check out. That is where I fell in love with my pair. I used Technics for years DJing, and at home. I saw that display at Fry's and tried the Bose and had to have them. The Sony's do actually rank higher, but I love my Bose.
  • tzv13
  • 03-30-2015, 12:39 AM
I forgot to mention my Bose came with a lifetime guarantee.
  • Toyz
  • 03-30-2015, 01:03 AM
I think I would be happy with any of the final 4, LOL.

I did check out the display at Frys, and a couple of Best Buys as well...was there for damn hear an hour trying to decide between the Bose & the Sonys and finally walked out to gather more data...I'm a notorious "over shopper" before I decide...HATE buyers remorse!
  • tzv13
  • 03-30-2015, 01:27 AM
I totally get that. Fuck buyers remorse.
If your spending anywhere near $300 you should be looking at something a little better than Sony. You can get Sennheiser hd650 for not much more than that.
Look for some Grado's!

I picked up one of their cheap pairs ($80) and I've been using them for years.
  • Toyz
  • 03-31-2015, 06:27 PM
After tedious review, I opted for the Sonys. Had a bunch of input & everyone has their favorites. Some friends love Bose, some Sennheisers, AKGs, Bang & Olefsun, Audio Technica, some Beyerdynamics that I loved the look of.

But looking at feeback, reviews, look, dependability, technical specifications...I'm doing the Sonys & think I'll be happy with them....that's not saying all of them wouldn't be great, I'm sure they would!

Thanks for all the input~

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477506,00.asp
....*sigh* Sonys? At home I use Grado SR60e's which are not full ear-cup models but are priced well and sound good (if not 'bass-y').

For the money, I would have opted for AKG K550's which are fantastic over the ear headphones. I use these for work on occasion and they are very, very good. Not 'bass-y' tho.

The planar magnetic cans from Audeze are interesting but they sound too 'airy' to me.

To each his own. All depends on your tastes.
Considering that you will spend 250 per hour of fun on a regular basis, why not buy the two top contenders and see which one you prefer? Then gift the loser.

Think about it like paying for a one hour session that didn't work out. But at least, you got to pick a winner with the other.

I think I would be happy with any of the final 4, LOL.

I did check out the display at Frys, and a couple of Best Buys as well...was there for damn hear an hour trying to decide between the Bose & the Sonys and finally walked out to gather more data...I'm a notorious "over shopper" before I decide...HATE buyers remorse! Originally Posted by Toyz