I'm buying a watch Omega or Tudor ???

Does anyone on this board know anything about luxury high end watches. Okay these two brands are not the most high end but there the ones I can afford. Which one do y'all recommend? I sent Omega an email asking about online watch sales and they said "Please be aware that “Amazon” or any other online retailer, is not an authorized Omega retailer. Omega does not authorize any retailer to sell our watches online". However I've seen Omega and Tudor watches on Amazon and Authentic Watches websites and they look very authentic to me. Do y'all know anything about buying these kind of watches online? I appreciate all the help I can get and please feel free to give me more info. Thanks!
My friend has an Omega Speedster Moonwatch with what looks like a carbon fiber/nylon band, and I have to say it's one of the better looking watches I've seen. (I've seen A LOT of really nice timepieces)

That said, never buy a luxury item from anyone but an authorized dealer unless you're a natural gambler and will be able to laugh off a $1k+++ loss if the item ends up being a very good counterfeit.

Example: I was gifted two Lady Rolex Lady Datejust in my life. One for my high school graduation, and the other for my college grad. I took them in last September to a dealer for their first-ever maintenance and valuation for insurance. (I've only ever worn each piece a total of five times in all these years) The dealer told me one was a fake. A very good one, but a fake all the same. For all intents they look identical in quality, but one is worth $7k and the other about $1,200 bucks. It's a very fine forgery, but still a forgery. It's like a Cobra Ford, and a Cobra Ford kit car. Both are fine looking, but only one is real.

You can often find these items at auction that are authenticated, but that takes patience.

I hope you find just the piece that suits you and wear it with pride. xo
I know alot about watches...but for a better purchase, I downloaded this app called POSHMARK. It is awesome...I have ordered a couple things from there...everyone should check it out! Especially on watches, they have a huge selection for men.

XOXO
Does anyone on this board know anything about luxury high end watches. Okay these two brands are not the most high end but there the ones I can afford. Which one do y'all recommend? I sent Omega an email asking about online watch sales and they said "Please be aware that “Amazon” or any other online retailer, is not an authorized Omega retailer. Omega does not authorize any retailer to sell our watches online". However I've seen Omega and Tudor watches on Amazon and Authentic Watches websites and they look very authentic to me. Do y'all know anything about buying these kind of watches online? I appreciate all the help I can get and please feel free to give me more info. Thanks! Originally Posted by atx33man
So are you looking to buy based on style and function? Resale value down the road? I am not into watches like that but I know a bit about investing and retaining value. I always hear good things about Omega, but for me I would want the Tudor Black with black leather band. That fits my style. I have a friend that swears by his Submariner but it would not be for me. If I wanted something in that style would be the Breitling Chronograph.

All that said if you are trying to buy something cool now and flip it later for upgrade Omega is the way to go. Make sure you do not get a fake, and do not overpay. Amazon is a great place I use it all the time, but you should shop around local or regionally for a watch you like at a good price. Just because you drop $3k on a watch does not mean it will be worth anywhere near that 3 years from now.

Oh man, I wish I had kept in touch w/ a former co-worker who was a watch connoisseur. He pulled out high-end brands, most never heard of. I know this doesn't help, but good luck.
I don't know much about watches but I really love the way the Movado looks on a man and wish I had one!
  • 02-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Omega all the way.
I appreciate the feed back.
Once I decide on which watch to buy, I don't plan to resale it down the road. I just love watches. I purchased a Ball watch $2000.00 bucks from Russell Norman 8 years ago and it broke about two months ago. I sent it back to Ball and they said, they don't have parts for the watch anymore so they can't fix it. I'm leaning on buying an Omega and I'm hoping it will last a life time. Their website claims it will with proper care and service.
Don't buy the Omega. The only reason to buy an expensive watch is to impress people. Few people with real money consider the Omega anything but a second rate wanna be. If you want to impress people who know watches then you need something like the Patek Philippe or equivalent. If you can't afford a new one get it pre-owned, but then you'll have something. A less expensive alternative worth considering which still impresses informed people will always be Cartier. The venerable "tank" and others they offer are always the choice of those in the know.

But please stay away from Omega. I mean for God's sake they advertise with James Bond wearing it lol. I mean really how garish. How lower class. It's a watch for wanna be climbers.

Can you imagine a Patek Philippe ad featuring "James Bond?"

LMFAO
Have you tried Costco,their selection is limited,but if you find what you want can't beat their prices. You may also consider a TagHuere.JS
Have you tried Costco,their selection is limited,but if you find what you want can't beat their prices. You may also consider a TagHuere.JS Originally Posted by Keyzer Soze
Tags are great watches, but they are expensive and have a re-sale value of less than $400. You can buy them used for $300 anywhere.

My advise is to go to a re-seller or even pawn broker and buy a Baum and Mercier or Cartier or Patek Philippe. If you buy a new watch it will be used the moment you put it on, so might as well save $30,000. and buy a used one anyway.

But whatever you do don't go to Costco or Sam's Club for a Swiss watch. And DON'T waste money on an Omega because anyone with real money or class will think you are a dumbass.
I can't afford Cartier or Patek Philippe. Baume and Mercier is more in my price range but none of the watches really catch my eye. Tag Heuer is in my price range but to many imitations and/or counterfeits and I look at them as the cheap expensive watch. As I mentioned I had a Ball watch which broke and Ball said they couldn't fix it. I wrote Ball a nasty email this pass week and they wrote one back saying they'll work with me on a new watch. I went to their website and picked a 3 thousand dollar watch and they said they'll sell it to me for $700 bucks (thats 2300 off of retail)! I'm taking them up on the deal and if I don't keep the watch I'm just going to sell it to my brother and moving forward with an Omega.
Going a cruise anytime soon much cheaper no taxes !
Going a cruise anytime soon much cheaper no taxes ! Originally Posted by chairspud
Never been on a cruise been I have been on a vacation lately but I still want a watch.
I can't afford Cartier or Patek Philippe. Baume and Mercier is more in my price range but none of the watches really catch my eye. Tag Heuer is in my price range but to many imitations and/or counterfeits and I look at them as the cheap expensive watch. As I mentioned I had a Ball watch which broke and Ball said they couldn't fix it. I wrote Ball a nasty email this pass week and they wrote one back saying they'll work with me on a new watch. I went to their website and picked a 3 thousand dollar watch and they said they'll sell it to me for $700 bucks (thats 2300 off of retail)! I'm taking them up on the deal and if I don't keep the watch I'm just going to sell it to my brother and moving forward with an Omega. Originally Posted by atx33man
Believe me, people with money much more admire a simple, steel Tag than an Omega or Baume and Mercier.

As for affordability, Patek Philippe and Cartier, as well as Rolex for that matter, last forever and you can buy one used.

For that matter Rolex, any gold one, is a good choice in my opinion. If you are seen by someone with money and you are wearing a gold Rolex he will understand you instantly.

But if he sees an Omega or Baume and Mercier he won't know what the fuck to think. He and all his friends were Rolex and he has never trusted anyone who wears a watch endorsed by James Bond.