A Reminder of Why We Need To Follow Rules

New Mex hits pretty close to home:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...chuCWhgzahQh6H

Again, I advocate removing all $$$ discussion from the main interest here--strange. DA's are getting creative and we need to be as low key and good citizens as possible.
Good morning, flinde. Spaceman181 posted an article on this same news event in the Alerts, under a title like, "This Hits Too Close to Home."

I agree with you -- DAs are getting too creative.
I'm glad this is all a fantasy, yes solipsism
I don't understand what it is that we need to be especially alarmed about in this article. LE knows exactly what this is and how it works, there is absolutely no protection against LE and anyone of us could be LE. There is nothing inherent in ECCIE that prevents LE from infiltrating ECCIE either.

What was especially creative on the part of LE that we should know about?

From the standpoint of protecting ourselves from each other, I don't understand where EECIE does anymore than that. If I'm missing something someone tell me what that is.
All it will take is one provider or hobbiest, to be arrested, whether hobby related or not, and for them to cut a "deal", and parts of this house of cards will collapse. Around the courthouse, deals are made all the time.

It could have been "our house".
I thought this was all fantasy. Are you telling me some people take it more seriously?
I'm glad this is all a fantasy, yes solipsism Originally Posted by pixelwarrior
Lol!
Maybe I should clarify what I said: "protect us from each other"
I'm referring to provider from client and client from provider in terms of safety from a bad experience or possible crime of some kind. Sorry about that.
What I meant when I started the thread was that if we kept our discussions confined to adults and adult topics, and tolerated no discussion of the topics forbidden here, then local LE (who are probably using this place to look for their own strange) will have less of a reason to mess with us.

We do that pretty well although we had that clown over the weekend in ISO.

Also, in my opinion, elimination of any discussion of $$$ while discussing all the hot strange would add another level of security.

15 years ago, DA's barely understood the internet. Their investigators werent trained. Experts (to snag online postings, ID IP addresses etc) were rare and expensive. And most of the jury pool had never been online. So only serious stuff faced criminal prosecution.

That's all changed now. I dont like the changes, but that's the way it is. The situation is no longer DA's asking "what's a delphi board?"

Prosecutors are comfortable with and can cheaply develop and present online evidence, and jurors who havent spent time online are few and far between. DA's now know what an IP address is, what an ISP is and are comfortable with search warrants and subpoenas in this area.
Aah ok, I see what you're saying flinde in those respects you have a point.
The irony here is how much LE partakes of this site for personal benefit. I have known a number of LE alumni who are very active in the community and their justice dept brethren throw numerous parties with providers at large.

It really comes down to how bad they need good press at any given time.
  • Mokoa
  • 06-22-2011, 11:38 PM
It really comes down to how bad they need good press at any given time. Originally Posted by Rakhir

Nailed It!