Attractions in Tennessee?

I'm visiting Tennessee (nashville, memphis) soon and wondering what awesome attractions are available? I know country music is big there and a lot of amusement regarding it, but I don't care for it. I enjoy American history, amusement parks, etc, any advice for some fun filled places would be appreciated!

Thank you
Zoebee, slight correction, Country is huge in Nashville. Memphis actually touts itself as the home of blues and birthplace of Rock and Roll.

With that said, top three attractions I would say Memphis has to offerby far Memphis Zoo, Gibson Guitar Factory tour, Beale Street/riverside walk. Let me know if you would like places to eat as well.

If you want to catch a show, a local indie band Star and Micey is playing at Minglewood hall while you are in town.

With as pretty as you are I can't imagine you having much free time. :-)
With American History Memphis has Graceland and the Civil Rights Museum. They have some older houses from the late 1800s called the Woodruff Fontaine house this a good way to learn about Memphis history and the aristocrats that use to live here. The zoo in Memphis is pretty good as well.

Nashville has a riverboat cruise that is somewhat interesting. You get to learn about the history while cruising down the river. I think it is called the General Jackson.
Grand Ole Opry might be worth checking out just to go. The Hermitage was the home of President Andrew Jackson for some American History as well as venturing over to Belle Meade.

Both Memphis and Nashville are big live music places. While many think Honky Tonk in Nashville there will be bars on the strip that have country downstairs and another band upstairs playing rock. Memphis is a Blues town but you can find most other types of music being played as well. I don't know of any amusement parks in either city.
the zoo is cool.....also music row....lunch at Neelys BBq

have fun!
Zoebee, slight correction, Country is huge in Nashville. Memphis actually touts itself as the home of blues and birthplace of Rock and Roll.

With that said, top three attractions I would say Memphis has to offerby far Memphis Zoo, Gibson Guitar Factory tour, Beale Street/riverside walk. Let me know if you would like places to eat as well.

If you want to catch a show, a local indie band Star and Micey is playing at Minglewood hall while you are in town.

With as pretty as you are I can't imagine you having much free time. :-) Originally Posted by dwill694u

Haha, well thank you for correcting me. I appreciate the advice and compliment . I may not have recreational time, but I can always plan .
Riverboat and zoo sound great! I'm a sucker for cute cuddly things! Thank you!
With as pretty as you are I can't imagine you having much free time. :-) Originally Posted by dwill694u
She might be one of those ladies who prefers quality over quantity.

Cheers,

bcg
Nashville: The Hermitage. There are great Civil War sites @ Nash. Dont stop @ Loretta Lynn's or Casey Jones on the way in to Mphs.

Lorraine Motel/ Civil Rights Museum, Victorian Village. The Pink Palace is a great museum. Mphs Botanical & Brooks (Brooks would probably be #1 on my list).

Graceland, well is Graceland - the most visited private residence in the USA (over the White House & Biltmore even) but I'd probably do Sun Studios/Beale.) Start at the MS River Museum on Mud Island, then Sun, end on Beale.

Dont neagte Tunica either - helicopter rides
Well rumor I do believe is that one side of the Neely's Family BBQ has closed. Not sure which side of the family it is but that's what I hear.

the zoo is cool.....also music row....lunch at Neelys BBq

have fun! Originally Posted by DallasRain
Let's not forget Stax Museum and Rock and Soul Museum in Memphis. I prefer Stax, but both great history of Rock and Roll type attractions.
oh no not Neelys===I wanna go there when I come in August...guess I better google it!

Memphis also has a kick ass bbq joint---Germantown commissary

and the Gus's chicken is the best damn fried chicken ANYWHERE!
DallasRain nailed it with Germantown Commissary and Gus's Fried Chicken. They are both great. There is a good Thai restaurant called Bahn Thai around the Midtown area that is also very good.
dammit now I wish I was in Memphis! I cannot find ANY good fried chicken here in Omaha! lol

BCG--I miss ya baby

Babee..I miss that sexy ass of yours too!

Zoe..are ya having fun sweety???
oh no not Neelys===I wanna go there when I come in August...guess I better google it! Originally Posted by DallasRain
The story I've heard (anyone who knows better than me feel free to correct me) is that Neely's BBQ--the one owned by Pat and Gina Neely of Food Network fame--has closed (back in, like, October or thereabouts), and I've only heard of vague plans--if you want to dignify them with that term--to re-open. Also, another BBQ joint owned by a Neely relative (I forget the name) has also closed. If I'm counting correctly (and I may not be), the only BBQ joint here that's still run by a Neely family member and still open is Interstate.

dammit now I wish I was in Memphis! I cannot find ANY good fried chicken here in Omaha! lol Originally Posted by DallasRain
If you're still in Omaha you must--if you like Indian cuisine--go to the Jaipur. Great food (at least it was great 10 years ago; I realize things may have changed) and the India Pale Ale (brewed on premises) is to die for (at least it was 10 years ago, etc.).

BCG--I miss ya baby Originally Posted by DallasRain
And I'm afraid you'll have to miss me permanently. I'm pretty well retired for good. You may miss me, but rest assured that your sisters here will be hitting the bars, getting raucously drunk and drinking toasts: "Thank God that prick is gone!"

Cheers,

bcg (will consider public "dates", as in dinner or drinks, and I'll be happy to pick up the tab for you (can't afford more than that, sorry), but no more BCD play for bcg ever again)
I will always luv ya babe!