Dear Eccie, how much longer do we have to put up with the pop ups??????

I have pop up blocker and they are still getting through and it is messing up my computer. Is there a way I can stop them?

Moved here so your question can be better answered
I do not get any pop ups, it must be in the anti-virus your using?
I do not get any pop ups, it must be in the anti-virus your using? Originally Posted by fishingtwo
Im pretty sure thats not it as everyone Ive talked to has the same problem ..http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=574148
They are full page pop ups and I would not mind it one bit if it didnt make my PC start bogging down and taking forever to load a page.

@ EA, I thought maybe someone from eccie might have an answer since no one has answered in this forum. Its been going on for a while and I thought they might fix it. I pay dearly for virus protection and do not understand how this crap got through.
I am useing Nortons and have never seen a pop up here ...didn't even know they were here.
its hard to know what causes them to be blocked on one computer and not another . I use Nortons as well and i dont get any popups at all .
thanks for the help
I bet you put in an "exception" for eccie.net at some time in the past in order to allow the PMs window to open in a popup. If you remove the exception, you'll probably be good.

Firefox instruction: Click the Firefox button located in the very top left. Hover over Options, Click Options to bring up the Options applet. Under the Content tab, ensure "block pop-up windows" is checked. Click Exceptions. If eccie.net is listed as an exception, click "Remove Site". Apply your changes or click OK and you should be good.
I have experienced any pop ups in my years on Eccie. I use a cheap AVG for my virus protection. I don't know if that makes a difference on this site. Sorry you have to wade through tons of crap to get to the good stuff!
Many people have had the issue. It's not a virus on one person's computer. I have them blocked now, but they ARE happening. ECCIE has allowed them as a revenue stream apparently.

Can you block them? Yes. Should you have to? No. The site shouldn't be using such a shady form of trying to generate revenue.

A mod confirmed that ownership decided to have these pop-ups and that the mod wasn't happy with the decision either. That shows right there that it's NOT a virus and NOT an issue a small group are having.

As I said.. you can block them, but why is ECCIE going down this path? It makes it a pain for it's users. Is that how you want to treat the membership that has made this site the success it has been to date? To force shady pop-ups on them to generate a few bucks? What's next? 15 screens popping up? An acknowledgement box that you can't close that forces you to a sponsors site like other shady sites have went to? New windows opening when you try to close or exit from this page? Where will it stop? Obviously they have no issue doing this, so what's next? That's the question.

Why has the ownership of ECCIE not responded about this issue?

Mods... can you ask the owners to chime in on this thread to answer why they chose to do this to it's members?
I have experienced any pop ups in my years on Eccie. I use a cheap AVG for my virus protection. I don't know if that makes a difference on this site. Sorry you have to wade through tons of crap to get to the good stuff! Originally Posted by Rebecca
I use AVG as well, every now and again I will get a pop up.
I use nortons and get pop ups as well
I have noticed a great deal of spam getting in here too.
  • S-Man
  • 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM
After installing the Ad Block Plus add-on for Firefox, I had to configure it to disable popups on eccie.net. The default configuration wouldn't stop them. I can easily live without the popup for PMs.
BLAH ...

I have Kaspersky (they said it was the best), I will do better research next time because these darned pop-ups are killing me!!