Looking to HELP family in need

Not just any family...My family.

Here is the deal. My ex lost his job a couple of months ago. He has a beautiful house and a new wife, but also has my son, daughter and her daughter living there. His electricity got cut off. They have been without electricity for nearly a month. It's been tolerable with candles and a fireplace, but its getting colder. He just got a new job on Monday, but it will still be about 3 weeks before a check comes in. I have checked with local churches and assistant programs but everyone seems to be out of funds. His electric bill is right at 1000. maybe a little under. I didn't know if there were programs out there that will help them. I have called other electric companies to see if I could just get new service elsewhere, but their area is Co op...only one company can service them. Co-serve. They have closed their account, so the only way to get them electric is to pay the bill. I cant put it in my name because my last name is the same as theirs and I have helped financially all I can. My hands are tied. With Christmas coming up gifts are going to be limited, but I'm sure they can deal with that. Its keeping warm I'm concerned with. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Babylee
DOES ANYONE HAVE A GENERATOR THEY COULD LOAN THIS FAMILY???

I was under the impression that if there were children living in the home, and the weather was either scorching hot or freezing cold, they were required to leave it on? Please excuse me if that sounds stupid, I know it does, I just thought that I had heard that at some point... I can't imagine going a month without power, thats terrible. I hope they get back on their feet shortly.

If you want to ask the kids what they would like for Christmas, and it's something I can do, I would be happy to buy all 3 a little something. Feel free to email me age, gender, etc anytime.

I'm sorry they are going through this and I'm sorry there are kids involved. Praying for your family!
car title loan?
I had someone ask me "why don't you take them in, if they are your children". Trust me if he would allow it I would. Its a long story but I don't share custody. He has asked me for help financially, and I have given all I can without going under myself. I guess I made it sound as if they were freezing in the cold. They are in fact without electricity, but the house stays pretty warm with the fireplace. The neighbors are letting them use "borrowed electricity" to let the fridge run. I just hate that they are going thru this at this time of the year. Not asking for handouts necessarily, but some ideas or information from organizations that could help.

Thank you very much LittleMiss for your offer. I may in fact take you up on that if needed.

Already used the car title loan avenue...still in debt..lol
In most cases it is very rare that the light company will cut off the power especially when kids are in the home....There are many agencies that will intervine such as the Child Potective Services, Case Workers, the city of orign for they will not let children stay in a home without heat and water or food....

TexasCowboy
CPS is likely to remove the children. Not going to venture a guess as to where they might end up.

At some point, the power company has to get paid. I guess we could rely on the new program, ObamaPower, an offshoot of Obamacare, to provide that those of us with resources are required to pay for power to be provided to those unable to pay. (Sorry, do not mean to make a political statement on Babylee's plea for help.)

I know there are a lot of religious groups that provide help, but they are stretched pretty thin. Most only work with certain zip codes in their area.

As an engineer, I would caution against hooking up a generator if you do not know what you are doing, and most portable generators are not going to be sufficient to power a central air unit. I also would be pretty cautious about running an extension cord that far - the amp draw from the resistance of the extension cord could overload a circuit or even result in damage to the fridge. Needs to be very heavy duty at best.

I know it may not sound like a nice plan, but a homeless shelter will be warm until the father can get the finances to put them back on their feet.

And Babylee, within some limits, you need to protect yourself too. If you give too much for their comfort, you could end up on the street yourself,. (There is a thread floating around here somewhere with a tale of a provider and a borrowed car, sounds like she is living in the borrowed car. Not suggesting that Ms. Lee would ever stoop so low as to steal a car from a client.)

At the same time, if your child is in serious danger, then you have a responsibility to call CPS and let them take action. You would think CPS would have so ways to solve this problem - cheaper to the state to pay the electric bill than have to place 3 children in foster care.
I would like to help . Ill team up with Lil miss , as I know she knows how to reach me !
I will be happy to see what we can do to assist. Pm me babylee
My idea is probably not the type of help that you're looking for, but here it comes..........

Run a super special. Drop your rates to 200/100 for a few days to a week. Give them half of what you take in after you cover any expenses like a hotel.
agree with hemiman
Tell him to swallow his pride and dial 211
Introduce the "new wife" to eccie.

Got any pics?
CPS is likely to remove the children. Not going to venture a guess as to where they might end up.

At some point, the power company has to get paid. I guess we could rely on the new program, ObamaPower, an offshoot of Obamacare, to provide that those of us with resources are required to pay for power to be provided to those unable to pay. (Sorry, do not mean to make a political statement on Babylee's plea for help.)

I know there are a lot of religious groups that provide help, but they are stretched pretty thin. Most only work with certain zip codes in their area.

As an engineer, I would caution against hooking up a generator if you do not know what you are doing, and most portable generators are not going to be sufficient to power a central air unit. I also would be pretty cautious about running an extension cord that far - the amp draw from the resistance of the extension cord could overload a circuit or even result in damage to the fridge. Needs to be very heavy duty at best.

I know it may not sound like a nice plan, but a homeless shelter will be warm until the father can get the finances to put them back on their feet.

And Babylee, within some limits, you need to protect yourself too. If you give too much for their comfort, you could end up on the street yourself,. (There is a thread floating around here somewhere with a tale of a provider and a borrowed car, sounds like she is living in the borrowed car. Not suggesting that Ms. Lee would ever stoop so low as to steal a car from a client.)

At the same time, if your child is in serious danger, then you have a responsibility to call CPS and let them take action. You would think CPS would have so ways to solve this problem - cheaper to the state to pay the electric bill than have to place 3 children in foster care. Originally Posted by tigercat

Agreed. I've never ever seen a power company leave power on because of kids in the house. Ask me how I know. Sorry for your troubles baby. A 5 year recession is killing everyone.
  • BLM69
  • 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Probably not the best place to ask for help for your ex-husband, Doesn't he have any family or friends he can ask? What about the new wife's family or friends? If i were you, I would pick up my kids from him asap!

Allot of Americans are struggling with these economic times, hemiman had a great idea, You can wait a few days for the phone to ring at current rates or run a super special to generate clients to help your family.
Probably not the best place to ask for help for your ex-husband, Doesn't he have any family or friends he can ask? What about the new wife's family or friends? If i were you, I would pick up my kids from him asap!

Allot of Americans are struggling with these economic times, hemiman had a great idea, You can wait a few days for the phone to ring at current rates or run a super special to generate clients to help your family. Originally Posted by biglatinmale
Ms. Lee has exhausted her avenues for helping out and is looking for other ideas. I don't get the impression she wants to sell her soul and body at a cheap rate to help out her ex-hubby and his new squeeze. If you have to think about it, you probably are too dense to understand much of anything.

(Without getting into any details, because they ain't none of my business, I don't think she has an option to just pick up her kids.)
If the OP taking them in is not an option, I would suggest CPS as well...not ideal and the ex may hate you for it, but they will find immediate foster care that will keep the kids warm and fed. I would highly suggest that over having the ex haul the kids to a homeless shelter.

In terms of finding money, good luck. Times are tight. The disposable income I set aside for helping people goes either to The Bridge, the downtown Dallas homeless facility, or to Union Gospel Mission, another homeless shelter off of Mockingbird. Convincing people to help out a stranger that lives in a beautiful house with his $1,000 electric bill is a tough sell IMO. That said, I don't blame you for asking.....you've got your kids to think about. I'm truly sorry you're not in a position to take them yourself...that sucks.