Am I being paranoid? Appropriate conversation

A hobbyist recently contacted me and he had 2 good references. Before we met he kept trying to get me to discuss particular activities and my rates via text and email. When I refused he cancelled. Was I being overly paranoid or should I stick to my guns about not discussing anything incriminating over email or text?

Thanks
Always stick to your guns and if it feels wrong, don't do it. Did you contact his references or did you just see that he wrote a couple reviews? I know around here I would probably get hung up on if I asked specifics over the phone.

Just this Old Noobs opinion.
""" he kept trying to get me to discuss particular activities and my rates via text and email.""" = RUN AWAY!
When in doubt, just easier to be firm... "All of my information is in my showcase and reviews."

You should also let his references know about the situation.
I've been doing this on and off for 10 years, and I've found that going with your gut feeling if you feel uncomfortable is always a good idea. You end up erring on the side of caution that way.....

In terms of questions about your "rates", I would just suggest to always be clear that you're talking about donations for your time and never link them to a discussion about activities. Your website lists your donations so I agree with the advice to just refer the person there unless it's something custom like a dinner date.
Thank you all! I did refer him my website and we ended up canceling. I usually like to listen to logic rather than my gut, but both brain and gut said no to this situation! Instead I had a great time at the local wine bar. Cheers!
Thank you all! I did refer him my website and we ended up canceling. I usually like to listen to logic rather than my gut, but both brain and gut said no to this situation! Instead I had a great time at the local wine bar. Cheers! Originally Posted by AvaRay

Good for you, you did the right thing. Why any client thinks it would be good to discuss rates with a provider they've never seen is just crazy. Big red flag on any day and in any place. The showcases and provider ads should always have basic rate information listed and that is enough.

Cheers!