iPhone 5

• S-Man
  • 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Is anyone planning to order one? Other than the LTE capability, I do not see it as a major advantage over my current iPhone 4.

Even though the phone is thinner and lighter, it is also taller than the previous models. Bigger phones are not always a good thing when stored in shirt and/or pant pockets. As I do not use the phone for CPU- or graphics-heavy applications, a faster processor and better graphics do not impress me. Furthermore, I would have to purchase additional chargers ($20) or adapters ($30) for my current accessories.
I know people who are in line for every new version but I am the opposite. I only upgrade when my existing phone dies.
  • ~Ze~
  • 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I use the face time camera a LOT... I was happy to hear they are upgrading that... however, til they fix the maps issue (something I use a lot as well) I will stick to my 4s....
My understanding of the Maps issue is that the first versions of the Iphones used Google mapping but now that Google is locked into the Android phone, this is an issue causing many headaches and needs to be resolved. According to the following articke, sometime this Fall Apple will have their own mapping but who knows how well it will work.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...--finance.html
I immediately bought the iPhone 3G when it released as the first handset with built-in GPS, (no,not golden pussy syndrome!). The incremental improvements since then have not been enough to make me upgrade. Apple no longer supports this phone with OS upgrades, so it is essentially obsolete.

I patiently waited for the iPhone 5 release, and remained unimpressed. This fact, plus the fact that I hate being tethered to a proprietary piece of poor software like iTunes made my decision for me.

The day after last week's announcement, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S III which I am so far impressed with. Time will tell. I will say this, the Android OS, while less intuitive, seems faster, prettier and WAY more versatile. Also, my Samsung LCD TV is the best I've ever owned. Count me as a former Apple user, who was never a fanboy.

Anybody want to buy my 3G in great condition, always in a Sena leather case, included, for $40? PM me.

budrn
I preordered my iPhone 5 and received it yesterday. The iPhone 4 was the very first iPhone I ever owned (the only other Apple product I have is an iPod). I'm not a tech guy so I never really learned what all the 4 had to offer me but it severed me well for what I needed. I went ahead and upgraded to the 5 just because I was eligible ($199 to upgrade) and because I was interested it having Siri. I have Siri speaking with an Australian accent. Kind of sexy....in a robotic not so sexy but use your imagination you could get there type way.
No need to order one, the Apple stores have them in stock. The only sellout was the pre-allocated amounts given to the carriers.

Oh and Google isn't the reason Google maps was pulled. Apple wants their own branded app for maps, they just did a shitty job with it.
I have a 4S, and love the google maps. Saw my friends who downloaded the new software update and the maps SUCK! Also YouTube icon gone. I use that more than anything on my phone! I won't update my OS, so apple can go fuck themselves. I would like the greater speed of the 5, but will probably go android next year on upgrade.
My SO got the 5. Good thing with the car charger is I had a charger with a secondary usb port. That now serves as the adapter. I think I bought that charger on ebay for$14
  • ~Ze~
  • 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Amazon for accessories is my go to. My GF wanted to buy an iphone cord at a local store, for 50 bux, got it on Amazon for 15....
Oh and Google isn't the reason Google maps was pulled. Apple wants their own branded app for maps, they just did a shitty job with it. Originally Posted by Boltfan
I ordered an iPhone5 and should get it next week.

If Apple maps suck, is there any way I can install Google Maps (like my current iPhone4) and use it as the default GPS app?

It's fucked up, but the Google Maps app on my iPhone is better than the navigation systems in either of my cars. If I could get my iPhone to take over the Nav screens in my cars, I would.

The Google Maps app is always relatively close to up to date and IT IS FREE. Upgrades to the navigation systems in my cars cost hundreds of dollars and they still are more than a year out of date. The last time I upgraded one - immediately after the upgrade was released - the copyright on the DVD was almost 2 years old. And it still did not show new roads and developments in McKinney and Allen that had been existence of more than 2 years.

Meanwhile, Google Maps has all that shit.
I skip generations of iPhones because I like to wait for enough incremental value. I had the original, the iPhone 4, and now the 5. I find the iPhone 5 to be pretty awesome. Performance is very snappy and I like the form factor and build quality. No plastic feel!

The change in the Youtube app is because the original licensing deal expired and Apple decided that iPhone penetration was large enough to avoid PAYING Google to license Youtube access. Google agreed. A new Youtube app from Youtube is available.

Maps is a clusterfuck. Both Apple and Google feel that Maps are going to be integrated with commerce more and more. Apple has to compete and the longer they wait to jump into the game, the harder it will be. Lets hope Apple invests at a rate that will make their Maps app competitive in the near term. I also ezpect that Google will provide an iPhone Maps app.

Overall, my iPhone 5 is the best mobile I've ever used.
My SO got the 5. Good thing with the car charger is I had a charger with a secondary usb port. That now serves as the adapter. I think I bought that charger on ebay for$14 Originally Posted by cheatercheater
I got a dual USB output car charger that provides sufficient current for both an iPad and a phone for about $7.00 at, of all places, Cabela's in Allen.

c.a.
The new iOS6 is backward compatible to the 3GS. If you update the operating system on a 3GS, 4 or 4S you lose the Google maps and the YouTube applications. Don't need the YouTube app since you can go to YouTube in Safari browser. The reviews regarding the new pre-loaded mapping software are correct. It sucks, but has potential to get better quickly.
As for the hardware, iPhone 5, The screen is 4" diagonal, 1/2" larger, so the body is roughly a 1/4" longer, a little thinner, lighter and the same width as the iPhone 4. It has a 8MP camera.
The biggest thing people are/will complain about is the new Lightning connector on the bottom of the phone. Old cables, docks etc. will not work with the new phone without an adapter, currently priced at $30. In a month the adapters will be everywhere for $3-5.
The phone has a faster processor, LTE for faster data transfer on new networks and the Verizon version apparently is CDMA and GSM standard compliant.
The nice thing about iPhones is the resale value. I paid $199 at AT&T for a 3GS. I used the phone for 2.5 years and sold it on Craigslist for $175.00, no haggling. I don't know many smart phones you can use for 2.5 years and get 85% of your investment back on.
Apple is distancing itself from Google/Android/YouTube (all owned or developed by Google). The patent wars are currently heated and the lines are being drawn for mobile OS dominance.
As for alternate mapping software, search on iTunes for Navigation software and there a plenty of free or cheap options.
I have a 4S, jailbroken, running 5.1.1
The SO has the 5.
Side by side comparison of maps this weekend on a work related real estate venture.

Started in Decatur, stops at addresses in Burleson, Grand Prairie, Lancaster, Heartland, mesquite, Allen, Frisco, and Crossroads. The 5 maps gave identical routing to each address. One was a no address found by both.

Guess it may not be too sucky. Still not going to update to 6.0 until I can do an untethered jailbreak.