In Science We Distrust

If you wonder whether our country can remain competitive in science and technology in order to do well in this knowledge-based economy, consider this. Our science policy in Washington is in the hands of the likes of Republican Congressman Paul Broun of Georgia, who recently professed that evolution and the big bang theory are “lies to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

BTW, he is running unopposed for re-election.
name an observed genetic mutation that added DNA, that actually improved the next generation. A perceived mutation may occur randomly to help a species survive better, that is adaption, not evolution, and results in less genetic material and/or possible variations. Like the giraffe getting taller to eat leaves, that is adaption, not a mutation, and some scientist will call that evolution. Evolution that makes a sponge and fish, a fish into a mammal, would require mutations, and addition of genetic material.

Where is the creature with a retina, waiting for lens to evolve? The logic of evolution is voodoo science. Evolution is all guess work, and occupies a huge percentage high school text books because it is guess work. Needs more emphasis on the physical sciences, and technology.
for Tebows SAKE!

doove.. get down there STAT ! and oppose that candidate!
Ha LOL!
Evolution is still just a theory. But many in the science community talk about it like it is fact. Evolution doesn't do a good job of explaining how life originated.
and here I thought jack would be taughting Columbus today
Republican Congressman Paul Broun of Georgia, who recently professed that evolution and the big bang theory are “lies to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior.” Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Another fucking moron!

Little known fact is that a Catholic priest, Fr. Georges Lemaitre, came up with the Big Bang Theory. One of my all time favorite lines came from him. When pressed about the date of this Big Bang, he is quoted to have said, "it occurred on a day without a yesterday."
and here I thought jack would be taughting Columbus today Originally Posted by JONBALLS
Christopher Columbus was a great explorer. He also contributed to the exploitation of indigenous people. The controversy is understandable.

Scientific disagreements should be settled by a thorough examination of the evidence. The lack of basic scientific literacy on the part of our citizens - and especially our politicians - does not bode well about our future technological competitiveness.
Christopher Columbus was a great explorer. He also contributed to the exploitation of indigenous people. The controversy is understandable.

Scientific disagreements should be settled by a thorough examination of the evidence. The lack of basic scientific literacy on the part of our citizens - and especially our politicians - does not bode well about our future technological competitiveness. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
neigher does socialized healthcare
He also contributed to the exploitation of indigenous people. The controversy is understandable. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
hehhe.......... I knew that one was coming

and here I thought it was all bushs fault
If you wonder whether our country can remain competitive in science and technology in order to do well in this knowledge-based economy, consider this. Our science policy in Washington is in the hands of the likes of Republican Congressman Paul Broun of Georgia, who recently professed that evolution and the big bang theory are “lies to keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

BTW, he is running unopposed for re-election. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
He has a degree in chemistry and a medical degree from some college I've never heard of. He is also on the house committee for science education. He believes the earth is 9000 years old and was created in "6 days as we know them". He also thinks that the bible should be the basis for our laws. Really pretty scary, I think the educational system in georgia needs to be seriously upgraded if they are voting for clowns like him.
There are holes in the theory of evolution. But it's the best explanation we have right now.Certainly much better than intelligent design.
name an observed genetic mutation that added DNA, that actually improved the next generation. A perceived mutation may occur randomly to help a species survive better, that is adaption, not evolution, and results in less genetic material and/or possible variations. Like the giraffe getting taller to eat leaves, that is adaption, not a mutation, and some scientist will call that evolution. Evolution that makes a sponge and fish, a fish into a mammal, would require mutations, and addition of genetic material.

Where is the creature with a retina, waiting for lens to evolve? The logic of evolution is voodoo science. Evolution is all guess work, and occupies a huge percentage high school text books because it is guess work. Needs more emphasis on the physical sciences, and technology. Originally Posted by lostforkate
We are all mutants. Adaptation is part of evolutionary theory, The taller giraffes survive better so their genes, with their mutations, are passed to the next generation. How would a giraffe get taller without mutations?
" evolution is all guess work, and occupies a huge percentage high school books because it is guess work". I'm really not sure what that sentence means. Evolution is the scientific community"s best explanation for how we got here. Do you have a better theory, I'd love to hear it.
the giraffe simply got taller with a longer neck, with longer vertebrae, survived during droughts, and bore tall giraffes, and that is adaptation, it is not a mutation. If the giraffe was born with added vertebrae, that would be a mutation.
the giraffe simply got taller with a longer neck, with longer vertebrae, survived during droughts, and bore tall giraffes, and that is adaptation, it is not a mutation. If the giraffe was born with added vertebrae, that would be a mutation. Originally Posted by lostforkate
And your point is? Black people have extra bones in their ears, there are people born with 6 fingers, aren't those mutations at some point in man's evolution? Mutations don't necessarily happen suddenly from one generation to the next, those mutated genes may take many generations to show themselves. You still didn't show a theory that explains things better than evolution.
It also came out that Todd akin, they guy from missouri who said raped women can make themselves unpregnant is also on the science committee.