2-3 baseball format

Any opinions on the first round of MLB playoffs starting at the road team's field? I think it is bullshit: the team with the better record should be guaranteed home field advantage. Had the Tigers swept the A's, for example, that wouldn't have happened. I know it didn't, but eventually it will, and that will be wrong.

Something seems wrong with winning the most regular season games and starting the playoffs on the road. The first round has been great baseball though.
  • iggy
  • 10-13-2012, 12:55 AM
You do have the Home field advantage.

Yanks ( best record ) 0pened 2 games in Baltimore then to NY for 3 games
But the Yankees would not have had homefield advantage if they lost in three. If Baltimore had swept, and won in three, only one game of three would have been at Yankee Stadium. I know it didn't happen, but it certainly could and will eventually if they keep up with this format. That would be wrong. The team with the better record should be guaranteed home field advantage.

I wish that would have happened so they'd notice it. I'm not hearing anything about this anywhere and I see it as a glaring inequity. My team missed the playoffs, I'm trying to be objective.
I hear you and agree. It's only home feild advantage if it goes to game 5. All teams are better at home and its not quite right for the better seed to have play the first home game digging out of a very possible 0-2 hole.
The issue I have with the 2-2-1 is all the travel dates -- which breaks a team's momentum and extends what should be a short first round. Baseball has the least home field advantage than the other major sports, (other than the Twins when they were in the baggydome ) -- if you are going to advance, you have to win on the road.
Leave it to MLB to fuck up playoffs ... How many travel days do baseball teams need? Wow, that is a haul NY to Baltimore.
  • iggy
  • 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Pyra Travel kills momentum more than anything else. Plus it is getting cold up north and they aint even close to the World series Yet
i heard that will change next year to the other two games at home not on the road this was a chance mlb was trying
Yeah and the World Series will end sometime between Thanksgiving and Tebowmas.
The 2-3 has to go but I will give MLB credit for starting the ALCS the day after the first round ended.