Appearing on the Winstar Stage... One Geezer After Another..

just booked for 2020.. Tony Bennett and Charley Pride.

https://www.winstar.com/entertainmen...nue-field=1436

Bennett is 93.. Pride will be 86 when he graces the stage.

God Damn.. when is enough "enough"?

Chuck Berry and B.B. King refused to quit, they both expired around age 90.. by all accounts their final concerts were pathetic.

King was a Rascal, with 15 or more children ready to dip into his Will.. maybe a motivation there.

I remember seeing Ravi Shankar when he was 83.. I thought I was seeing a Fossil. but he sired Norah Jones at age 58, that at least implied some life at an advanced age, LOL.. and he played the Sitar, I didn't have to hear him croak his way through songs.
I left my heeeeart...in.......um.....in. ....uh.......(searches wireless mic feverishly for 'call nurse' button).....Ogden?
  • Crock
  • 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Here's the way I look at it. If you're already well off and you haven't had to work a real job for most of your life, why stop?

And I don't mean to downplay the amount of work involved in big concert tours. There's a lot. But if you control it and you set up gigs at your convenience and, perhaps most importantly, if people keep paying you to do it, why stop playing the music that you love?
[QUOTE=Chung Tran;1061885201]just booked for 2020.. Tony Bennett and Charley Pride.

I didn't even know either one of those guys was still alive.
They are not ... and neither is Willie.
CT hey easy I remember them ,,,,,,now what was I doing ,
Here's the way I look at it. If you're already well off and you haven't had to work a real job for most of your life, why stop?

And I don't mean to downplay the amount of work involved in big concert tours. There's a lot. But if you control it and you set up gigs at your convenience and, perhaps most importantly, if people keep paying you to do it, why stop playing the music that you love? Originally Posted by Crock
I get your point, Crock.. however... from my perspective, your post applies to, say, an Artist between 65-75, roughly speaking. not an exact range that fits everyone, but a good thumbnail.

after that, you must consider the Artist's ability to continue performing.. every singer loses range, few can truly deliver at an advanced age.. I go back to that 75 "cap".. it might be 80 for a few artists.. it could also be 65.. it depends.

it matters, too, what and how you sing.. Willie Nelson can keep going with a voice like his, the songs he has always performed.. not a lot to it. Patti Labelle? different story.. she is still remarkable for her age, but no way can she last to Willie's age.. Tony Bennett, yes, easy listening, light vocals that don't strain the cords much.. for the most part.. but God Damn, 93?

it isn't about what they love, or want to do the rest of their lives.. at a certain point, it becomes a cash grab or an ego massage. somebody in your Camp, your handlers, need to say "this needs to stop, you can't sing worth a damn anymore".. maybe say it more gently, but it's no different from telling Grandma she needs to hand over the car keys, after T-boning 2 vehicles last week.
I guess i'm old I saw Elvis when he came through FT Worth in 76, his last tour in Texas, tickets cost a whopping 12 dollars, yrs later I sold the two tick stubs to a collector for $ 50.00 each . The King will always be the King!!!
I guess i'm old I saw Elvis when he came through FT Worth in 76, his last tour in Texas, tickets cost a whopping 12 dollars, yrs later I sold the two tick stubs to a collector for $ 50.00 each . The King will always be the King!!! Originally Posted by Financeman22
cool.. Elvis is interesting to the discussion, in that while he was only 42 when he died, his health had been apparently waning for several years.. fat, short of breath, pill-popping.. yet he never lost any vocal prowess, in fact, from my POV, his voice was better and stronger on his last album.. listen to "Way Down", and compare it to, say, "Heartbreak Hotel".. the 1976 Elvis had pipes!
Anyone at winstar??
I get your point, Crock.. however... from my perspective, your post applies to, say, an Artist between 65-75, roughly speaking. not an exact range that fits everyone, but a good thumbnail.

after that, you must consider the Artist's ability to continue performing.. every singer loses range, few can truly deliver at an advanced age.. I go back to that 75 "cap".. it might be 80 for a few artists.. it could also be 65.. it depends.

it matters, too, what and how you sing.. Willie Nelson can keep going with a voice like his, the songs he has always performed.. not a lot to it. Patti Labelle? different story.. she is still remarkable for her age, but no way can she last to Willie's age.. Tony Bennett, yes, easy listening, light vocals that don't strain the cords much.. for the most part.. but God Damn, 93?

it isn't about what they love, or want to do the rest of their lives.. at a certain point, it becomes a cash grab or an ego massage. somebody in your Camp, your handlers, need to say "this needs to stop, you can't sing worth a damn anymore".. maybe say it more gently, but it's no different from telling Grandma she needs to hand over the car keys, after T-boning 2 vehicles last week. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
As the saying goes, there is no one applauding at home.
cool.. Elvis is interesting to the discussion, in that while he was only 42 when he died, his health had been apparently waning for several years.. fat, short of breath, pill-popping.. yet he never lost any vocal prowess, in fact, from my POV, his voice was better and stronger on his last album.. listen to "Way Down", and compare it to, say, "Heartbreak Hotel".. the 1976 Elvis had pipes! Originally Posted by Chung Tran
He certainly did. He continued to have a voice coach and worked a lot on his vocal range and skills even into his final years. That and his hair never failed him. It's very unfortunate that the short-sighted Tom Parker didn't let him do A Star Is Born.
I like Kristofferson but Elvis would have been better.
  • Crock
  • 02-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Patti Labelle? different story.. she is still remarkable for her age, but no way can she last to Willie's age.. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
She's still sounding good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpfdH9dwVLs

Anyway, I disagree. There's no reason to be ashamed of our bodies changing as we age. So what if they don't sound the same? We've got amazing technology that allows us to listen to near perfect recordings no matter where we are. But getting to hear the same artist play the songs that they love late in life? For fans, that's a great experience.
Last time I was at windstar the average age was like 100 so that's the target customers just saying Chung
ZZ Top plays there in June. Billy Gibbins himself is a piece of Rock and Roll history as Jimmy Hendrix helped them get exposure. I think The Rolling Stones are coming through as well which is hard to believe.

These stars are definitely not what they use to be but it’s nice to at least see them and to be able to say I saw them. If only I could Robert Plant before he croaks