DFW Secret?

Okay, so I've been on this board for maybe a week. I have this burning question that comes from being a newb plus being something of an IT and web guy. It seems like a LOT of activity on this board is DFW-centered, with Houston coming a close second. Sooooo... what's the deal? Is it:

1. The board (and this particular community) started in Dallas?
2. They[re using location technology to direct to chat rooms appropriate for the area?
3. Dallas is the secret mecca of the hobby? I've been living in hobby-viille for years and didn't even know it!

Just curious...
Dallas is the modern-day Sodom and Gomorrah.
It's what Houston and all the cities strive to be.
There was a site called "ASPD" . When the founder, Amber, passed away, her mother and sister took over and made several missteps including banning people left and right.

A few new boards cropped up, but ECCIE became the most popular.

Here's a thread on the history of ASPD:
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=5383

In other parts of the country there are similar boards (e.g. bestgfe in New Jersey and New York; Grainbeltnews for Illinois and Missouri; sfredbook for San Francisco)

• Meiji
  • 05-20-2012, 08:57 AM
ECCIE is a nationwide board, but since they are to some extent a descendant of the former ASPD a big part of their business is in Texas. DFW like many major metro areas has a healthy hobby scene. Those other metro areas are served by other boards that are either city or region specific, or are other national boards that primarily serve that area.
Very cool. Thanks folks Now I know something I didn't know yesterday!
You sir are living in Provider Heaven ... IMHO.

I've considered this factoid odd considering Dallas is viewed as a conservative city by those outside of Texas.