Barter for services. Good idea or not?

Hi there, I was wondering what ladies and gents think about the idea of bartering for services?

For example, I really want to get my hair cut, dyed and highlighted and I know a hobbyist who I have seen in the past who does hair for a living. I'm thinking about asking him if he is willing to trade services. Also, I have thought about trading service for botox (yes, I said botox. I love the stuff so sue me. LOL).

Do you think bartering for services is a good idea or a bad idea? And how would you suggest one works out the details so that both parties involved gets a fair deal?

I would really like to hear feed back on this.

Of course if some kind gent would like to treat a lovely lady (me....lol) to a day of beauty that would be really awesome. HEHEHEHEHE

• motor
  • 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
i dont see anything wrong with it. If both parties agree to it the cool
Botox is 1/2 priced in weatherford compared to FW.
Does Tractor Supply carry botox in Weatherford?
I've found it to be dicey. Everyone thinks THEIR OWN service/product is golden. The value of cash is inarguable.
I've had very successful trades. Dragonass traded me a laptop back 7 years ago. If you know them to the point of being comfortable and/or they have a reputation to protect (on either side) then go for it.
I think the better you know the other party, the more likely it will work out okay. And as someone said, agreeing on the valuation up front is critical, particularly if multiple visits are required to complete either side's commitment (play, repair, whatever).

Just my $.02
  • fawn
  • 05-24-2012, 06:16 AM
I've had very successful trades. Dragonass traded me a laptop back 7 years ago. If you know them to the point of being comfortable and/or they have a reputation to protect (on either side) then go for it. Originally Posted by LovingKayla

I so miss him......
I have traded out services 3 times; twice it worked out great. The third time.....
I lean toward just paying cash as you go now; but believe trading can work if both parties are ethical.
I think it would have to depend on who it is. Even if the gift is the same, I'm sure some of us are more of a chore than others. If it's someone you enjoy it would make more sense. Either way, most of the issues I've read about have involved trades with significant time between action "A" and reaction "B", if you go for it, go for it, don't put it off so both parties "remember" the details differently.
Good advice so far. I have nothing worth bartering for, so my own selfish perspective for alternate payment methods would be gift cards. It's easy to hide $X00 in gift cards on a credit-card purchase at Wal-Mart or Amazon, easier than explaining a $X00 ATM withdrawal.
Anybody who wants to barter for contact lenses PM me.
Botox is 1/2 priced in weatherford compared to FW. Originally Posted by Red Tex
Botox is something I'm betting you wouldn't want to go the discount rate with..

You might end up looking like the Sona from Star Trek Insurrection
I've never done it, but my suggestion would be to get ALL the terms worked out up front, with an understanding that they will not change.
I'll paint your toenails for free as long as you wear a short skirt and no panties....