Are Gift Cards Too Tacky/Impersonal?

Typically I purchase a gift card to provide as a gift to the lovely ladies, unless something else is specified in their preferred gfits within the Showcase. If there are no specific preferred gifts, I usually default to the card. Is this tacky or impersonal?
I wouldn't bring a gift card as a gift, unless I knew, for example, that my friend-for-an-hour was a single mom who would greatly appreciate a Wal-Mart or Target gift card, or a reader who wouldn't mind buying a few books at Barnes & Noble or Amazon. I wouldn't call it tacky; I'd just say it indicates that you didn't put a lot of thought into the gesture.

That being said, I sure wouldn't mind the opportunity to pay for a session with gift cards. Especially around Christmas, it's a lot easier to explain a $200 charge at Wal-Mart (I use that as an example because, regardless of what you think of the place, you can buy quite a bit of life's necessities there) on the credit card than a $200 withdrawal from an ATM.
Thanks Lancehernot. I might have been a wee bit vague... the gift card could be viewed as the additional gift.
Bonferroni hey lovemuffin ! I LOVED that you brought the extra gift and to me it was a wonderful surprise that you thaught enough about me to take the time to go to the store and brought it to me on top of the donation and redbull !

I dont think that it is impersonal at all, but then again i have always been its the thaught that counts kinda person !
I agree on the possible benefits of using "gift cards" for gifts.... AM EXP gift cards are great stocking stuffers (or should I say can lead to some great stocking stuffing?)... I think the issue with funded gift cards is if the receipt is not given at the same time, unless the recipient has a card swipe / reader in house, there is no way to verify if the card has any funds on it.... As a payments and technology geek, I know that P2P payment transfers, via our smart phones/devices, is happening now and will be mainstream in a few yrs - good-by to CCs, checks and hello "good old" cash and NFC methods like Google Wallet
The funny thing about gift cards is that I always worry if giving someone one will be seen as tacky or that I didn't want to put any thought into it, but every time I receive one as a gift, I love it. "Tacky" or "gee s/he really doesn't care" never, ever crosses my mind. Makes no sense!

Brains are funny.
Your choice of card is important.

Gift cards to Weight Watchers? DUCK!
A number of times, I have given scratch off lottery cards as an extra gift. I have great luck with those. I never win any money on them and neither has a provider with cards I bought. Oh well, it is the thought that counts. lol
I am with Carrie I love gift cards and they do not need to be for just one store I love them.
Guess I know what to do with those Barnes and Noble and Chili's gift cards I always get.
Barnes and Noble gift cards are awsome and not just becuase im in school and order lots of books from there !
I love gift cards!!! I've received them from time to time in addition to, not in place of, my rates.

I tell you what...on my days "off" I can shop at Macy's and Victoria's Secret. I may swing by Starbucks for a cup of coffee and then have lunch at Chili's. Oh yes, I have! I've collected my girl cards and used them to purchase more items for my "business".

Of course, I am bookworm too. So....feel free to throw Barnes and Nobles cards at me. I am wise with my spending and very creative.

Thank you gents for those considerations.
In the past, I've not minded one bit receiving a gift card(s) in addition to, OR in place of, my rates. IF it is discussed PRIOR to our time together I don't see a problem with it at all.

ItalianaPrincess
just dont give em gift cards to borders or circuit city :^)
that would be downright cruel!
  • Sami
  • 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I love gift cards! I don't see them impersonal at all. It's always the thought that counts!