Question: If a link is posted in a public forum to a Men's Lounge (Private) area, is it readable by people without ROS access?

i tried this and found that it is NOT possible, but i was given 5 infraction points because a board moderator says that you CAN click on the link and view the ROS material.

from my own expererice it is NOT possible. he says it is. if it indeed is on his computer, WHY DON'T YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM?
  • thx
  • 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I would really hope that it is not possible. Otherwise, then, it would not be hard to scrape the whole site.
I don't think it is. At least not to the women I don't. I am sure some men have posted links like that in the past because when I'm reading a thread and there's a link and I click on it and it takes me to a page that says I "don't have permission to view this thread", I assume it was a locker room link.
i tried this and found that it is NOT possible, but i was given 5 infraction points because a board moderator says that you CAN click on the link and view the ROS material.

from my own expererice it is NOT possible. he says it is. if it indeed is on his computer, WHY DON'T YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM? Originally Posted by John_TX

My website www.nymphtalk.com is also powered by vbulletin, as is eccie. It is absolutely not possible. Each member, and each member group, such as providers, members, premium members and moderators as well as admin, have unique permissions that you can customize either by group, or individual name.

If the moderator sees it on his screen, it is likely due to the fact that his permissions allow it. Linked or accessed directly, if a user does not have permission to view the page, the software will block them.
so if it is NOT possible, and i have confirmed via my own experience that it is, when why is a board moderator assigning me violation points for posting merely a link that you cannot access without ROS access?

absolutely unfair.
#20 - The men and women of our board each have their respective private areas in which secure content is posted and a greater freedom of expression allowed. Each member is responsible for keeping the information in any of the private secure areas (Men's Lounge, Provider Powder Room, The Rest of the Story, posts which have been tagged as private) 100% restricted to the members who are intended to have access to that material. Revealing ANY content which was posted in one of the men's or women's private sections of the board will result in penalty, up to and including loss of your access to these areas. Full cooperation may result in a less severe penalty, and each violation will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Repeated infractions will impact the severity of punishment.

The above is from our posted guidelines, regardless of if a link works or not it is acceptable to post in public what is being said in private.
I'm surprised this doesn't make sense to everyone...

The rule is you don't reveal what discussion goes on in the respective restricted access forums. A specific applicable example would be revealing information that a topic is even being discussed. The link itself in a thread in a public forum discloses exactly that.
so if it is NOT possible, and i have confirmed via my own experience that it is, when why is a board moderator assigning me violation points for posting merely a link that you cannot access without ROS access?

absolutely unfair. Originally Posted by John_TX
The only way that it could be possible is if the permissions on that user is screwed up, and they are set up as part of the group. A guy, like you, if you are logged in as you, and click the link in the coed forum, it will allow you in as you have permission to enter that forum, but if a lady clicked it, provided her access masks are not screwed up, would not be able to follow the same link that you did. try it not logged in. It won't work.