Can you define what "alternative" music is?

I can't. I can tell you what it isn't. It isn't rock. It isn't soul. It isn't opera. It isn't country. It isn't the blues. It isn't gospel. It isn't punk. It isn't celtic. It isn't metal. It isn't hard rock. It isn't pop. It isn't garage. It isn't classical. It isn't big band. And I'm sure there are any number of genres it isn't that I left out.

I can tell you what it isn't. But I can't tell you what it is. Can you? To me, it's... well... nothing
Lets TRY this!

DD

alternative music

Main Entry: alternative music
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a catch-all term for the newest rock music, which has not been around long enough to acquire a specific name
Example: Alternative music embodies many sub-genres including: Indie Rock, Alt Folk, Gothic, Brit-Pop, Alt Country, Adult Alternative, Shoegazer, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Post-Punk, New Wave, Post-Rock, and more.
Usage: music
its just a cute new label for rock.
I am out of my damn mind for tool,a perfect circle, and pucifer which are diff from each other but they sometimes get labeled as alt, prof, and metal. I think those are all loose terms that can be used to cover a broad group. metal is what gets me I don't count hair metal as real metal unless you consider Metallica and Megadeth hair metal for being around at the time and having long hair haha. My idea of metal is power, thrash, speed, death, and black. I guess every label is up for interpretation. I heard a classic rock station play slayer and was all confused but hey,look at the timeline I feel weird about it But that stuff is super old now and can get classified as it I guess.
I heard a classic rock station play slayer and was all confused but hey,look at the timeline I feel weird about it But that stuff is super old now and can get classified as it I guess. Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Confused, or not as young? The years just fly by, don't they?
Yes I turned 28 and feel 108 when the kids I used to babysit are inviting me to their weddings, baby showers, and college graduations. Even more unsettling is watching my parents age. My mom has always looked like an older sister this year she has slight crows feet, a few Grays, and reading glasses!!! I'm like dye your hair !!! She is like why? I'm old, old people get gray. They are almost 50 and it is so weird to think of them as older.
My idea of alternative music is going from a country CD, to a blue grass CD. I did get rid of my eight tracks.
My idea of alternative music is going from a country CD, to a blue grass CD. I did get rid of my eight tracks. Originally Posted by lostforkate
*giggles* never get rid of your records though! I am a total nerd I still have my record player and records and my vcr and old school tv. I Love the sound of a record! I think a lot of movies get ruined by getting put on DVD and flat screens. I keep my flat screen and blue ray in my living room and my vcr in my bedroom.
i still have a few albums, but no record player anymore. I did have a lot of rock type records

i did well at the last garage sale selling the albums for both collectibles and the album art.
I am a total nerd I still have my vcr and my vcr in my bedroom. Originally Posted by Lexxxy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqZ08faksA
Lmfao it won't let me open on my phone for some reason but seriously when I was in college I had all my friends and family give me their VCRs instead,of throw them out so I have gone through 4 and have 4 left in a tote. I won't abandon you VCR!
Back in my day (mid 80s) it was shit like morresy,the cure...etc . Buncha weirdo kids all dressing in black and dancing sadly like their life was ever so tragic. Lol