The truth behind the fake statistic...

...even here in the hallowed halls of ECCIE we have heard the new statistic of 92 deaths a day due to guns in the United States. Most of us don't believe unbelievable statistics and for good reason. The New York Times writes a story about guns, laws, and crime. They say that 30 people a day are victims of gun crime that end in death...hear that? 30 people a day. Seems the rest come from suicides which in my opinion are going to happen anyway because knives, high places, trains, and meds are far easier to get than guns and less likely to arouse attention.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bey...r&ocid=U142DHP

30 is too many but I'd like to see the breakdown separating the truly innocent from the running mates of the criminals.
The truth behind the fake statistic... Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Is this another camouflaged 777 parked on a remote island thread?
...even here in the hallowed halls of ECCIE we have heard the new statistic of 92 deaths a day due to guns in the United States. Most of us don't believe unbelievable statistics and for good reason. The New York Times writes a story about guns, laws, and crime. They say that 30 people a day are victims of gun crime that end in death...hear that? 30 people a day. Seems the rest come from suicides which in my opinion are going to happen anyway because knives, high places, trains, and meds are far easier to get than guns and less likely to arouse attention.

30 is too many but I'd like to see the breakdown separating the truly innocent from the running mates of the criminals. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

Then if you off yourself with a gun, it shouldn't count as a gun death judy?
...even here in the hallowed halls of ECCIE we have heard the new statistic of 92 deaths a day due to guns... Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
I thought that total was just in Chicago.
If you have a problem with the statistics, argue with the Center for Disease Control. I posted that 92 people a day die from firearms. Never said anything about gun crime. If I did, post a link.....

Why would you lie to try to make a point admiral?

BTW, I guess that means you're OK with 30 dead a day? Fucking idiot.

30 is too many but I'd like to see the breakdown separating the truly innocent from the running mates of the criminals. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

I don't remember anyone on this forum stating otherwise. Yes, about 2/3s of deaths by guns are suicides in the U.S. That still means that there are 30 x 365 = 10,950 victims of gun crime, as you put it.

However your last statement is far from true IMHO.

From http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine...e-hidden-toll/

"Though guns are not the most common method by which people attempt suicide, they are the most lethal. About 85 percent of suicide attempts with a firearm end in death. (Drug overdose, the most widely used method in suicide attempts, is fatal in less than 3 percent of cases.) Moreover, guns are an irreversible solution to what is often a passing crisis. Suicidal individuals who take pills or inhale car exhaust or use razors have time to reconsider their actions or summon help. With a firearm, once the trigger is pulled, there’s no turning back."

As I've said regarding homicides: "Guns don't kill. They make it easier to kill." Seems like the same is true for suicides.

And here is a study that was done that concluded that there is a strong link between
guns in the home and the suicide rate.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/mag...s-and-suicide/

"Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002. . . found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower."
  • WTF
  • 10-09-2015, 07:24 AM
I don't remember anyone on this forum stating otherwise. Yes, about 2/3s of deaths by guns are suicides in the U.S. That still means that there are 30 x 365 = 10,950 victims of gun crime, as you put it.

"Though guns are not the most common method by which people attempt suicide, they are the most lethal. About 85 percent of suicide attempts with a firearm end in death. (Drug overdose, the most widely used method in suicide attempts, is fatal in less than 3 percent of cases.) Moreover, guns are an irreversible solution to what is often a passing crisis. Suicidal individuals who take pills or inhale car exhaust or use razors have time to reconsider their actions or summon help. With a firearm, once the trigger is pulled, there’s no turning back."

As I've said regarding homicides: "Guns don't kill. They make it easier to kill." Seems like the same is true for suicides.

And here is a study that was done that concluded that there is a strong link between

"Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002. . . found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower."
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
In a thread where JD ask for truth.....he ends his post in a lie/distortion.
And, here is an article from today's Stars & Stripes that explains why female service members are six times more likely to successfully commit suicide than civilian females. They use guns.

http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans...-guns-1.372251

The argument that easy availability of guns does not significantly contribute to the suicide rate is just stupid. The argument that it's not 92 people a day that die from guns but "only" 30 is also....stupid. The bonehead that started this thread.....stupid.

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
JDrunk gots the shakes again!
Another crash and burn for the turd cutter. As if there's some magic number that makes it acceptable.
No, I do separate the suicide rate from the murder rate. Both are crimes but one is a crime against others, an act of violence against the fabric of society. Totally random in some ways. How many suicides have killed someone else along with themselves? Same difference between a person who drunkenly drives down the wrong side of the road and someone who decides to drive off the bridge into the river.

Timmie, Timmie, Timmie apparently you didn't read the last line of the post. In all sincerity to your lack of comphrehension....Fuck you! Feel better now? Just saw what NBK wrote. Sorry Timmie but you're going to have to share that Fuck you with him.

Frankly when it comes to suicide, I thought that was a personal choice that all libs favored. After all, isn't euthanasia a lib principal?
No, I do separate the suicide rate from the murder rate. Both are crimes but one is a crime against others, an act of violence against the fabric of society. Totally random in some ways. How many suicides have killed someone else along with themselves? Same difference between a person who drunkenly drives down the wrong side of the road and someone who decides to drive off the bridge into the river.

Timmie, Timmie, Timmie apparently you didn't read the last line of the post. In all sincerity to your lack of comphrehension....Fuck you! Feel better now? Just saw what NBK wrote. Sorry Timmie but you're going to have to share that Fuck you with him.

Frankly when it comes to suicide, I thought that was a personal choice that all libs favored. After all, isn't euthanasia a lib principal? Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Watch the news, there is always a father/mother kills kids then self. Bout weekly.
Watch the news, there is always a father/mother kills kids then self. Bout weekly. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
JDIdiots Atari PlayStation does not have a news channel.
the US has about ten times the number of gun homicides per capita compared to other western democracies, England and Australia. England and Australia have very strict gun laws in comparison, if we want to keep having ten times the rate of gun murders we should do nothing. . .. if we want to have much less gun murders we should enact similar gun control. Its that simple.
the US has about ten times the number of gun homicides per capita compared to other western democracies, England and Australia. England and Australia have very strict gun laws in comparison, if we want to keep having ten times the rate of gun murders we should do nothing. . .. if we want to have much less gun murders we should enact similar gun control. Its that simple. Originally Posted by southtown4488

Uhhhh, we have 15 times the population of Australia and 6 times the population of England. Don't you think that may have something to do with it.

In Switzerland every adult male is required to own an assault rifle (the real thing) and ammunition. What are their stats on crime and suicide?
Switzerland US
Population: 8, 210,000 318,000,000
Murder rate: .71 per 100,000 5 per 100,000
Suicide rate: 11.1 per 100,000 12.6 per 100,000
Police officers: .9 per 100,000 243.6 per 100,000

Handgun ownership in Switzerland is very low compared to the US. 10% compared to 18%. 29% of households had guns in Switzerland compared to 43% in the US. You know if this was just about guns then this would kill any liberal argument right there. Anything having to do with guns should be about 40% higher in the US than in Switzerland....if this was just about guns. Doesn't work out that way though. The murder rate is 700% higher (relax, that only means 7 times higher) but the suicide rate is similar....wow! there is something different about the two countries that Switzerland has such a high suicide rate.

There has to be something else besides the availability of guns that makes such a difference. Do you know that in Switzerland, they don't give Muslim people permission to own a gun? They also don't give people that are justed to be psychologically damaged permission to own a gun. Do you know if we did that so many lives would be saved. Why oh why won't the libs let us do that?