Why don't they require drug & STD testing for the Presidency and Congress?

I'm not sure WHY I was thinking about this question last night, although watching "Madame Secretary" could have had something to do with it, but I couldn't find an answer on Google.

It looks as if the President isn't required to take certain health and mental tests, like drug tests or STD's.

Why not?

Even though the word "drug" was used in the title, I'm not speaking of drugs, per se. Just the testing.

So many of these guys (and gals, too!) are philanderers, and God knows what else. Shouldn't they be required to take certain tests for various issues?

EW
They have the best healthcare in the nation, and usually get those free physicals.
Accountability seems to be the key word, in my mind.

If Congress is pushing for different factions to be required to take tests, such as welfare recipients, etc., then they should be held to the same standard.
Well, you'd set a precedent for testing everyone for STDs in the work place. Though we do, by and large, test for drugs...randomly. Or in the case of a act of stupidity or accident. Hillary and Obama would be tested weekly for that.

There was a lawyer maker some years ago that pulled out publicly and gave them a urine sample on the floor of the chamber. Just don't think he was an American. I would recommend drug testing for anyone getting government benefits past six months. No, that does not include SS, disability, or military pay.
  • DSK
  • 10-13-2015, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure WHY I was thinking about this question last night, although watching "Madame Secretary" could have had something to do with it, but I couldn't find an answer on Google.

It looks as if the President isn't required to take certain health and mental tests, like drug tests or STD's.

Why not?

Even though the word "drug" was used in the title, I'm not speaking of drugs, per se. Just the testing.

So many of these guys (and gals, too!) are philanderers, and God knows what else. Shouldn't they be required to take certain tests for various issues?

EW Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
That would demean the Presidency. He was elected twice, and the only way to remove him should be through impeachment.
Accountability seems to be the key word, in my mind.

If Congress is pushing for different factions to be required to take tests, such as welfare recipients, etc., then they should be held to the same standard. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Two wrongs don't make a right? There have been lots of successful political leaders who have been drunks, philanderers and drug-users. It shouldn't be a part of the mix. And, btw, welfare recipients shouldn't be required to take drug tests either. They should be required to establish that they are either unable to work as a result of minor dependent children at home or a disability. Otherwise, they should be required to prove that they have been looking for work but have been unable to find employment.
That would demean the Presidency. He was elected twice, and the only way to remove him should be through impeachment. Originally Posted by DSK
Such an excellent point. Thank you. I agree.
Two wrongs don't make a right? There have been lots of successful political leaders who have been drunks, philanderers and drug-users. It shouldn't be a part of the mix. And, btw, welfare recipients shouldn't be required to take drug tests either. They should be required to establish that they are either unable to work as a result of minor dependent children at home or a disability. Otherwise, they should be required to prove that they have been looking for work but have been unable to find employment. Originally Posted by timpage
Once again, I do agree. What would the world be without the people who have drank, and screwed, and well ... been human?

But I also like what you're writing about not requiring drug testing for other groups of people.

Thanks for your thoughts. Always insightful. Really.

EW
Why? Because Because The House, The Senate, and The President are elected officials with specific qualifications laid forth in The Constitution.
Once again, I do agree. What would the world be without the people who have drank, and screwed, and well ... been human?

But I also like what you're writing about not requiring drug testing for other groups of people.

Thanks for your thoughts. Always insightful. Really.

EW Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Agree with Tim. Most of the great art has been made by those who are less than perfect.
Agree with Tim. Most of the great art has been made by those who are less than perfect. Originally Posted by WombRaider
And a lot of great writers, too (my personal interest!).

Warmly,
Elisabeth
And a lot of great writers, too (my personal interest!).

Warmly,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
I was including writers in that, but yes, I agree. You cannot truly tap into the emotions necessary to create great art without manipulation of some kind.
  • DSK
  • 10-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Agree with Tim. Most of the great art has been made by those who are less than perfect. Originally Posted by WombRaider
I suppose many great writers have been freelance gay writers from Arkansas?
Two wrongs don't make a right? There have been lots of successful political leaders who have been drunks, philanderers and drug-users. It shouldn't be a part of the mix. And, btw, welfare recipients shouldn't be required to take drug tests either. They should be required to establish that they are either unable to work as a result of minor dependent children at home or a disability. Otherwise, they should be required to prove that they have been looking for work but have been unable to find employment. Originally Posted by timpage
All military personnel, thousands of teachers, many LE personnel, beaucoup blue collar jobs, etc., require regular physicals and random drug testing. Failure to pass a drug test might be why some of the unemployed cannot get and hold a job. So, why the fuck should the taxpayers subsidize their recreational drug use? Go suck bilge water, Little Timmy-tard.
I suppose many great writers have been freelance gay writers from Arkansas? Originally Posted by DSK
Since when does " tagging " a neighbors fence with the Azteca symbol or a gay gang's color's make that idiot a " writer ".