Computer Nerds - Can I be traced

Is it possible and how do you do it?

1) To create a website that cannot be traced back to you in any way? Possibly by using a library computer to set it up and maintain it, use a generic Credit card to pay for, use gmail or similar for responses?

2) Does Yahoo Groups allow this same capability?

This is not a hobby question or a "can LE do this" question. I simply need to create a yahoo group or a one page website that cannot be traced back to me by the AVERAGE person. Could someone call the host site and get the owners name? If it is set up with gmail, can it be traced back to IP if I only use a generic computer that is not mine? How can I keep anyone short of a warrant from finding me? What do I look for as safeguards?

I need to be totally invisible....individually and IP wise.
There is not such thing as "untraceable" . . . forensic computing goes way beyond anything you may have up your sleeve.

Flyer
The host company will not release your info to just anyone.
Some email servcies show your IP address in the header, others do not. Using a public computer such as a libary, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc should be all you need. Also, if you can log into your website and send the email from there, it will have the site IP not your computers IP address.
  • npita
  • 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I simply need to create a yahoo group or a one page website that cannot be traced back to me by the AVERAGE person. Originally Posted by Introuble
Yes
Could someone call the host site and get the owners name?
Depends on the hosting site. Most won't give out that sort of information without a subpoena.
If it is set up with gmail, can it be traced back to IP if I only use a generic computer that is not mine?
Technically, the only thing that can be traced is an ip address. If you want to find out whether or not mail sent from gmail can be traced to the ipaddress from which you are logged on, send yourself an email and look through all of the headers.
How can I keep anyone short of a warrant from finding me? What do I look for as safeguards?
By trying to trace yourself using every bit of information you can find and correlate that could tie you to your site.
I need to be totally invisible....individually and IP wise.
Then you probably need to do some research. I can't think of an easy way to enummerate the kinds of mistakes you can make that most people wouldn't think about, but someone who is determined to find you might. In general, you're pretty safe, but people often don't think about how bits of information they leave in various places on the internet can be linked together until something that identifies you in some way, pops up. For example, your first name, birthdate and a few educated guesses will usually be enough. If I can link something you post on your site to ``introuble'' and you use that handle somewhere else, I can search for you and find whatever information you posted there. Repeat as needed, make inferences if possible and connect the dots until you find enough to know who you are. As long as you are aware of what someone can figure out from what he/she can read on your site and you know it can't be used to tie you to anything else, you're fine. If you're worried about LE at all, don't set up the site.

Check out everything personally instead of relying on what people tell you unless you know them personally and you are sure they know what they're talking about. That includes me.
Thanks.

Does your computer IP change when it is dynamic as opposed to static ....ie reboot your router?
Not always. Bit more to it than that
This is a conversation best suited for the Men's area
You need to do a better job. It was easy for me to figure out that you are Introuble.
  • npita
  • 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Does your computer IP change when it is dynamic as opposed to static ....ie reboot your router? Originally Posted by Introuble
It can, but whether or not it does depends on how your internet service provider has the networks set up. However, the relevant answer is, it doesn't matter. The isp will have log files with a record of what ip address(es) you have at what times and all of the connections you made while online. Storage is cheap, so who knows how long the files are kept?
You need to do a better job. It was easy for me to figure out that you are Introuble. Originally Posted by Tiger Woods
Now thats funny.
Try using Crytohippie.com. It creates a VPN tunnel from your PC to a server outside the country (mine always goes through one in Germany) so your ISP can not track your surfing history (which LE can make them disclose very easily). Then use the In Private Browsing or Incognito feature of your browser to not leave trails on your PC. Also get an email address through a foreign email provider that does not have a US presence so that LE can't get to it easily, and finally use PGP to securely wipe any files on your PC and use TrueCrypt to store your really secret stuff so securely the FBI can't crack it http://news.techworld.com/security/3...ack-truecrypt/. I use a 36 character password, hidden volume feature, triple cipher encryption, and Whirlpool 512 bit hash algorithm. If you want a Web site you REALLY need to find something that is free since covering your payment tracks would be much more difficult (sending an international money order to a foreign hosting company). Anything created with a company that has a US presence (or UK or many other countries for that matter) is increasingly accessible to the police state, and it will only get worse, so I would stay away from Yahoo, Google, etc. Find a host in a 3rd world country that is bureaucratic and not friendly to foreign subpoenas.
I kinda view this as an improperly titled thread. The "average" person wants their money from Nigeria, to keep their accounts open by providing user names / passwords etc, and wishes they could find out who is behind a website or email address. Sad, but That is average.

To ask technically savvy people about average is like using a shotgun to kill a fly. We could discuss security measures endlessly and never get you to 100% secure. Do what You feel you can and good luck.

My 0.02