Mizzou goe to SEC

• KCJoe
  • 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I hate the way money has corrupted college sports. I loved Missouri sports, but this latest change is too much for me. Won't be getting any more funds or attention from me. I might have to start cheering for KU or K-State.
If what they did shows money has corupted college football, every time someone takes a new job for more money ande long term stability shows how money has corrupted people. I'm just glad my team is in the big ten where desicions like this don't need to be made. Heck, the big tens deciding to launch the big ten network helped me see more games even though the biggest driving force behind it was money.

I don't really think mizzu adds a lot to the sec, but it gives them a quality academic school (AAU accredited), a decent basketball team, a decent football team, and a 14th member.
Maybe USC will now come into the Big 12, or KU move to the PAC 12.
I think Kansas would be a good bet for the Atlantic Coast Conference.
It's good to know that the big 12 will be around for at least 5 or 6 more years since they have all signed over there tv rights. I am neither a Kansas or Missouri fan but Missouri will get there asses handed to them in sec football!
The thing about SEC football is they tend to have two truly elite teams every year. After that they are very beatable. Missouri has the chance to be a mid level team in the SEC.
  • JS42
  • 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM
It's not all about money, although the extra money is sweet, and nobody has denied that. It's just as much about stability. The Nubs and Colorado left, then A@M, now Mizzou. Just a few months earlier, TX, Tx Tech, Okie, Okie St was trying to get into the Pac 12. And you fault Mizzou for looking after their best interest by landing in the best, and most stable conference? Ridiculous.

I understand KC will take a bit of a hit if the Big 12 basketball tourney doesn't return. Instead of the city leaders whining about it, how about they actually try to be creative and make up that shortfall. Kcjoe, with all due respect, if you are even considering becoming a K State or ku fan, you were never really a Mizzou fan in the first place.
It's not all about money, although the extra money is sweet, and nobody has denied that. It's just as much about stability. The Nubs and Colorado left, then A@M, now Mizzou. Just a few months earlier, TX, Tx Tech, Okie, Okie St was trying to get into the Pac 12. And you fault Mizzou for looking after their best interest by landing in the best, and most stable conference? Ridiculous.

I understand KC will take a bit of a hit if the Big 12 basketball tourney doesn't return. Instead of the city leaders whining about it, how about they actually try to be creative and make up that shortfall. Kcjoe, with all due respect, if you are even considering becoming a K State or ku fan, you were never really a Mizzou fan in the first place. Originally Posted by JS42
JS come on Mizzou was the first team trying to bolt but then got dissed, that started the instability that other teams took as the sign to split. Personally I could care except we spent a lot of tax money for a place to house the big 12 basketball tourney to not have one, and with this extra money you would think tuition would go done, but no that has not happened, wonder whose pocket it will go in.
This all began because the Big XII became the lapdog of the U. of Texas. When the conference became Dallas-centric rather than Kansas City-centric, all the other schools began complaining. Mizzou decided to explore going to the Big Ten, but balked, then Nebraska jumped at the opportunity to get out from under the thumb of Texas (and, by extension, getting beat by them in football - and I think the loss in the Big XII championship a couple of years ago at the last second probably was the final straw - though the call was correct) and Colorado went from being the red-headed stepchild of the Big XII to the red-headed stepchild of the Pac 12. The snowball effect then began...

Would things have been different had the conference settled on Oklahoma City as its home instead of Dallas? OKC is closer to the geographic center of the Big XII schools than either Dallas or Kansas City - but it may not have prevented the influence of the U. of Texas on most conference decisions.
Mizzou decided to explore going to the Big Ten, but balked.... Originally Posted by fritz3552
You might be "In the state of confusion". Missouri put on the full court press to join the Big 10 and was summarily rejected.
You might be "In the state of confusion". Missouri put on the full court press to join the Big 10 and was summarily rejected. Originally Posted by scorpio31

Sorry, misplaced a pronoun. Replace it with "but they balked", meaning the Big Ten.
  • KCJoe
  • 11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I just hate to see the Big 12 break up. I liked it better as the Big 8 without the Texas schools. The big 12 may just disappear. I was talking to a neighbor who's son works for the Univ of Neb. He told me you wouldn't believe the amount of money involved with Neb sports program. Is it about competition? Is it about education? I think money is all that matters anymore.
two days ago the SEC had 191 national championships. with the addition of missouri they now have 191
Sorry, misplaced a pronoun. Replace it with "but they balked", meaning the Big Ten. Originally Posted by fritz3552
Hey, no problemo....typos abound in my world too!
two days ago the SEC had 191 national championships. with the addition of missouri they now have 191 Originally Posted by garygarygary
So, you're saying the number is still ZERO!! As in national championships by MU.

What about MU Final Four visits? Oh, that is ZERO also. What about BCS bowl victories? Oh, that is still ZERO as well!

So the move to the SEC was for academics! Oh, now I get it!