Hobby phone

Question for both ladies & gents, better to get answers from both perspectives so I won't get caught by SO:

Where is a good place to hide the hobby phone? Obviously I will not bring it inside the house, but it seems like the car is not an excellent hiding place all the time. This because a routine carwash or trip to grocery store might get it discovered, or valet parking/other similar situations leave the potential for it to get stolen.

Looking for some creative ideas you have used.
If you want to be really cautious, get a PO Box at a nearby post office and use the phone only when hobbying on that day.

And make sure, it is switched off. Never keep it on vibrate or regular ring tone or else the Post office can call LE for suspicious object ! LOl !!
put it where your spare tire is............or if your back seat lifts stick it there
put it where your spare tire is............or if your back seat lifts stick it there Originally Posted by Chloe_lane
What if he is travelling with his wife and gets a flat tire?? How does he explain that ?? Ah,ah, oh oh ,umm !
What if he forgets to switch it off and then it rings from the back of the car's seat ? Again - ah,oh, ah,umm ! LOL !
  • ~Ze~
  • 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Go with a company that happens to have their SIM compatible with your current SIM. Swap them out.. and get rid of the other phone all together. Keep the SIM in your auto manual. I don't think any SO's look there.

Just be sure to DELETE all calls made/received while the other SIM was in.
Put it in the trunk. If it's found say you found it in the parking lot at work and have been meaning to drop it at the lost and found. Always keep the sim card someplace else (wallet, owner's manual, etc). Never save any info to the phone. Save it to the sim card. Never call yourself or any real world number from the phone.
Buy a prepaid phone and never register the phone. Just buy cards to recharge. Approach this like your spouse will find the phone and hire the CIA to find out about it.
What if he is travelling with his wife and gets a flat tire?? How does he explain that ?? Ah,ah, oh oh ,umm !
What if he forgets to switch it off and then it rings from the back of the car's seat ? Again - ah,oh, ah,umm ! LOL ! Originally Posted by delimex007
well what do u think the postman is going to do when he goes to putting the mail in the slots and finds a cell or if the ringer doesnt get turned off....lol you might have to worry about more than your SO because it might look a little suspicious
Hide it somewhere she will never look, like in your underwear.
good one dannie. true sometimes sad to say.
Don't get a phone at all.

Get google voice and DON'T register it to your real-world google info. Make up a hobby google acct with a hobby e-mail and nothing connected to who you really are.

Set it to DO NOT DISTURB except for days you are hobbying and expecting a provider to call or text you. Set it to when someone DOES call you from it that your google number shows up your caller ID and not the actual caller. Name it "Fred" in your phone's contacts or something the SO won't think twice about. You can call Fred, enter you passcode, then the number you want to dial...and viola! Nothing in your call history pertaining to any providers.
wow! thanks for your input, some excellent ideas. i will try and go with the compatible sim card idea. I hadn't thought about that, but it seems much easier to hide a sim card than an extra phone and charger.
wow! thanks for your input, some excellent ideas. i will try and go with the compatible sim card idea. I hadn't thought about that, but it seems much easier to hide a sim card than an extra phone and charger. Originally Posted by borderboy

Amen to that! A sim card is so little you could practically hide it in plain site. And I hadn't even considered the extra charger thing, egads that would be a pain!!

Happy hobbying!
I never realized all the things we have to hide...being new and all. I keep my hobby phone in my hobby purse, in my gym bag that is usually always in my trunk.

If I had an SO, his underwear would never be on!
wow! thanks for your input, some excellent ideas. i will try and go with the compatible sim card idea. I hadn't thought about that, but it seems much easier to hide a sim card than an extra phone and charger. Originally Posted by borderboy
They do make phones that allow 2 different SIM chips from different networks. Search for the Motorola EX115 or LG GX500 or GX200. They will set you back about $120-$150 unlocked on Amazon.
  • anita
  • 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Keep it in your underwear at all time lol just kidding. Put the battery in your socks in the closet and put the phone in a coat or make a hole in one of your bags and slide it there.