Digital Cameras/SLR Cameras

Any recommendations on a new digital camera? I remember seeing the Nikon J1 commercial with Ashton Kutcher on it and I liked how you could record video and take pictures during the video. My range on this is $400 to $700 if its good one. Not looking for a $100 you can get at Walmart or anything either. Im no professional photographer, but I would like a camera to take good pics and videos for vacations, parties or anything really.

Just thought if anybody here had any suggestions since we have a very diverse group on eccie at any given moment. I know there are photographers here too. Looking foward to yalls input. Thanks

homie
There are about seventy-eleven-hundred and four perfessional and semi-pro picture takers on this site, so there will be better info than this to follow. But, it's, IMO,all about the quality of the lenses if you're going to get serious. If you're after a really good point-n-shoot SLR digital camera, Nikon, Canon, Pentax all make good ones at the entry level. Just be sure that you get a camera body that allows you to change lenses if you get the bug real bad. And since, like everything else, cameras are now mini-computers, be sure that the lenses can be "read" by the camera's processor in order to get the most out of automatic settings.
In that price range, homie can't get anything other than a sophisticated point and shoot (if he wants video) unless he's willing to start with an entry level DSLR with a single kit lens (which will have a very short range).

On the other hand, if you want to spend just a little more, one of the most enjoyable and versatile interchangable lens cameras to come onto the market in the last 5 years is the Sony A-55. It's not a true DSLR because it only has one mirror (as if you care...lol), but, man, it packs a lot of bang for the buck. Fastest continuous burst on the market (10 frames per second), and HD video with auto focus throughout. I know because I bought one last year (it was voted camera of the year by one of the major trade mags, and I just wanted a new toy to go with my Canon gear). Well, I wound up liking it so much that I sold my Canon gear last month and bought the A-55's big brother (along with a bunch of Sony lenses), the A-77, that just came on to the market (this mother fires off 12 frames per second, is weather proofed, and has a vertical grip, which is important because all the bells and whistles on this thing will drain a battery in no time). Understand, if you're looking to make a living out of this, and if full-frame capability is a must (and it shouldn't be unless you are going pro and/or will be taking a ton of low light pics), then this is a great option. Oh, the best part: you can get the a-55 for a song with 2 kit lenses these days, because it's being phased out due to the introduction of the a-77. Also understand this: there are some things this little camera can do (and do WELL) that a $5000.00 camera can't. It's a hell of a bargain.

Here are some links for you:

You can get the a-55 plus a standard 18-55 mm kit lens (a good walking around lens) for $799 at B&H out of New Yourk http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html And then you can pick up the 200 mm zoom lens for another $100.00 or the 300 mm zoom for $150.00 (just click on the link in the main ad). Since you're a beginner, I suspect it would be a long time before you needed anything else. And you're out the door for less than a grand. That's a whole lot of camera for that amount of money, and you will own the fastest camera in the world (well, at least it was until the a77 came out).

B&H, by the way, is a great place to buy camera gear. Their reputation is sterling, and their prices are beyond competitive.

Finally, here's a link to the review by the mag (Popular Photography) that named it camera of the year last year: http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/12...-year-sony-a55

Okay, all my pimpin' of the Sony aside, you can buy better cameras. And if you're going to get real serious about this, you're probably better off starting with Canon or Nikon. Why? Because you're "marrying" yourself to the lenses and you don't want to start all over on a lens collection by switching brands (that's a very expensive proposition, and I wouldn't have done it myself if I hadn't found a very generous buyer for my Canon lenses...plus, the a-55 I got last year was a refurbished model that I got from B&H for a little under $600 with the 2 lenses I'm pimpin' to you...the camera Don made an offer I couldn't refuse), and Canon and Nikon's upper end camera bodies can go beyond what these little Sony's can offer you (albeit at a hefty price). I, on the other hand, realize that I'll never get more serious than I am now, so I'm looking for a camera that can do the most things well at a reasonable price. As a result, I'm no longer a Canon owner. The video in these Sony's is as good as it gets, imho. As for the still features, I would have to go to the 1D Mark IV level (a $5,000.00 camera body) to get something substantially better in terms of features and normal light capabilities. And even then I wouldn't have the kind of burst I have now.

There's my 2 cents worth. Spend a little more and get a lot more. This (photography) is a heck of a second hobby to have.
The "marrying" yourself to a camera and lenses is absolutely true. I've been into photography for years now and over the past couple of years switched from Sony to Canon. When you buy a DSLR you are buying into the entire system of accessories and lenses. I shoot a Canon T3i, which with a kit lens will run you about $850, but it shoots HD video and can take stills during recording. From what I remember from my research, the Canon T2i is pretty comparable just without a couple of features such as a pull out LCD display, which does come in handy. Depending on how much you are going to use it and how serious you want to get with the lenses, Canon and Nikon are at the top of the short list with a couple of options that should fit in your budget, with a little bit of research and shopping around. And be sure to shop around as some of the big chain stores can actually be priced higher than some of the independent stores depending on rebates and sales.
You can pick up an older DSLR for that price, with maybe 1-2 lenses. I love my camera body, I've had it since 2006. I'm at 10450 photos taken on it and it's still in great shape. Would a faster/better one be nice? Yes. Do I need it? Eh.

www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B0007QKMQY

That's what I shoot with. I have the lens it came with (which isn't too bad), and a macro/fisheye lens. I had a couple of other ones, but I sold them when I moved to Canada (as I literally only had the space in my car to relocate with and every little bit helped).

It's a great way to get started for not a whole lot of money down. If I were looking to get a new camera (with money as no object) I'd get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Imaging-75-300mm-Telephoto/dp/B005Z3DWMK

I am obviously a Canon person, though I love Pentax for actual film cameras.
Leica M9 with the Leica f.95 Noctilux M 50MM. It's only about $19K over your budget but you'll get some stunning photos.

Or, check out an Olympus PEN. Small, excellent lense quality (and has interchangeable lense capability) and in your price range. I also recommend the Nikon P7000 for point and shoot. Very nice camera for the price.
You could buy a $7'ish broken Canon point and shoot off of eBay and then use it to buy a refurbished Canon camera from the Canon Loyalty Program. They discount the already discounted refurb price if you have any Canon camera to send back. You can get a T3i body for $479 and have enough extra to buy a decent lens or you can get it with the 18-55 IS lens (which isn't a bad lens) for $543 and then buy a 50mm 1.8 with lunch money to spare.
Buying the previous model (used) from a camera buff who wanted the latest can yield a good deal. The Canon digital rebel goes for about $200 on ebay, I got that model from a friend who wanted the newer T3i and I bought his Rebel XT for $$. I previously had the Original Rebel that I used only occassionaly, so I got a faster camera cheap to fit my needs and he threw in some extras.

The Rebel series has some new ones in your price range, too. It all depends and how often you are going to use it and what for.

If you get the photgraphy bug and want the brand names lenses, the cost of those can be real high.
I'm not up on the latest, but unless you want to start a photo hobby (defined as buying more stuff) you might look at some of the non-SLR cameras like the Canon "G" models. To show how far out of date I am, the last camera I bought was built in 1939. I'm doing some serious regression into film. I've been very happy with my Nikon D300 (not the "s" version so no video), but don't know what the used market is for them.

If you go DSLR, regardless of system, check out that brand's 50mm lens. On 3/4 DSLR's that will translate to the same angle of view as a traditional 75mm. These lenses are usually pretty fast at around 1.8 and damned sharp for the price (usually around $100).

Here's a very good place to look at the latest or even check out old reviews on used stuff: http://www.dpreview.com/
anything and everything you want to know about dslr's.....

well, any camera really.
the good, the bad and the ugly.

My canon 30D is on there. It's old, but it still kicks fucking ass.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/
If you go DSLR, regardless of system, check out that brand's 50mm lens. On 3/4 DSLR's that will translate to the same angle of view as a traditional 75mm. These lenses are usually pretty fast at around 1.8 and damned sharp for the price (usually around $100).

Here's a very good place to look at the latest or even check out old reviews on used stuff: http://www.dpreview.com/ Originally Posted by Iaintliein
That was more true a couple of years a go but as the price of cmos sensors came down and in greater demand, I think a lot of the lower end SLR offering from Nikon and Canon are the 1:1 or "full image" sensors now, but I could be wrong. Definitely something to ask the sales dude at wolfe camera before you go buy it online.
That was more true a couple of years a go but as the price of cmos sensors came down and in greater demand, I think a lot of the lower end SLR offering from Nikon and Canon are the 1:1 or "full image" sensors now, but I could be wrong. Definitely something to ask the sales dude at wolfe camera before you go buy it online. Originally Posted by J.G. Wentworth
I haven't kept up so much, but full frame sensor is definitely the way to go (unless you're into mostly telephoto perhaps). I didn't realize a full sized sensor could be had for under a grand!

I'm just getting more nostalgic I guess, right now I've got five medium format cameras with rolls started that I need to finish up (6x12, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, and 6x4.5) and just bought my first 4"x5" (all film of course)!

I will add, for those who just want to learn more about photography, not necessarily the hardware there are a couple of 'ole timers, Ed and Benji, at photocamel.com who post tremendously good stuff. There are also great erotic and pin-up forums there (which require additional sign up for age reasons).
Definitely something to ask the sales dude at wolfe camera before you go buy it online. Originally Posted by J.G. Wentworth
Run quickly away from Wolfe camera and don't look back! You'll spend a load more there and get less for it than about any place else you could think of going.
I'm not aware of a full frame DSLR that can be had for under $1300 (body only), and only that on a lucky day. The Nikon D700 is the least expensive I'm aware of. Google that for prices.

Hope I'm wrong.
Run quickly away from Wolfe camera and don't look back! You'll spend a load more there and get less for it than about any place else you could think of going. Originally Posted by Adonis
Wolfe gets full retail on new stuff. You can usually do better than that.

However, they occasionally get factory-refurbished gear, and the deals on that can be quite good. Several years ago, I got a refurb Canon Elan IIE, with the 35-80mm zoom lens, for less than what the Rebel 2000 would have cost me new. I was VERY happy with it, and still have it, but I have since dragged myself kicking and screaming into the digital age with a Nikon D80. (I very carefully considered, and eventually ruled out, the comparable Canon digital SLRs. Long story why, but PART of it was a friend's experience with the Digital Rebel.)