HITCHENS - R.I.P.

He died in a Houston hospital, last night........

He was a leftie Progressive I admired; for many reasons. He was an ardent supporter of the war on Terrorism, particularly the Iraq war, correctly believing that western civilization is under attack by radical Islamists.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...?newsfeed=true

Life goes on, then you die.
  • WTF
  • 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Brilliant mind.

His inching over towards the Bush Doctrine probably killed him!

God rest his soul.

Couldn't resist saying that.
He was one of the few liberals with intellectual integrity. His support of the war on terrorism (fundamentalist Islam) was refreshing compared with the rest of the kneejerk anti-American left.

I always enjoyed his dialogues with Hugh Hewitt.
  • WTF
  • 12-16-2011, 02:56 PM
He was one of the few liberals with intellectual integrity. His support of the war on terrorism (fundamentalist Islam) was refreshing compared with the rest of the kneejerk anti-American left.

I always enjoyed his dialogues with Hugh Hewitt. Originally Posted by joe bloe
The funny thing about Hitch was even when he was on your side you just were waiting before he would bury you when you didn't have all your ducks in a row.
He was the sort of liberal you could work with. He was willing to concede a point if he couldn't logically counter the opposing argument; he played fair.

He understood that if we don't stand unified against the Jihadists we will lose everything.

He understood that if we don't stand unified against the Jihadists we will lose everything. Originally Posted by joe bloe

Unlike those who were "for it before they were against it" and decide to cut and run when the going got a little tough.
He was the sort of liberal you could work with. He was willing to concede a point if he couldn't logically counter the opposing argument; he played fair.

He understood that if we don't stand unified against the Jihadists we will lose everything. Originally Posted by joe bloe
He was the sort of liberal that despised unthinking idiots like you and you are obviously totally unfamiliar with the vast majority of his progressive viewpoints or you would be celebrating his death. Go read some more and find out how much Hitchens disagreed with your idiotic viewpoints and then come back and try to speak knowledgeably about him. Ass hat.
A great thinker, not afraid to speak his own mind regardless of political alliances. I took a certain amount of joy in his logical lambasting of creationism.
I may not have disagreed with his articles, but he was a class act.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/12/16...s-remembrance/
Brilliant mind.

God rest his soul.

Couldn't resist saying that. Originally Posted by WTF
in defense of Hitchens, you ought to know better than that. the Bush Doctrine did not kill him.

a form of cancer did.
You forget. EVERYTHING is Bush's fault.
He was the sort of liberal that despised unthinking idiots like you and you are obviously totally unfamiliar with the vast majority of his progressive viewpoints or you would be celebrating his death. Go read some more and find out how much Hitchens disagreed with your idiotic viewpoints and then come back and try to speak knowledgeably about him. Ass hat. Originally Posted by timpage
Hitchens agreed we must fight against the Jihadists which included the war in Iraq. So I guess I had a certain feeling of good will towards him because I considered him to be a comrad. In times of war, all people who share a desire that the country continue to survive come together to fight a common enemy.

I don't claim to be an expert on Hitchen's views, but I do realize he was a man of the left. I just listened to his interviews with Hugh Hewitt over the years. I admired his intelligence and wit. He didn't seem like a ideologue.

PS

I'm just curious; do you celebrate the death of conservatives? I certainly don't celebrate Hitchen's death.
Brilliant mind.

God rest his soul.

Couldn't resist saying that. Originally Posted by WTF

He didn't believe in God. I'll bet he does now.
"My Troubles are many, they're as deep as a well,
While I swear there is no Heaven, I will pray there is no Hell"

Blood Sweat and Tears, circa 1969.