Court OKs Barring Smart People From Becoming Cops (Really)

Government stupidity at its finest. Unbelievable! Here is the article:

Reader Ryan McCormick sends this amazing story from ABC News. Robert Jordan wanted to be a cop and he applied for a job as such in New London, Connecticut.

His problem? He scored too high on the IQ proxy test and was thus excluded from consideration.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan sued for discrimination but to no avail. Here's what a federal court ruled:

The U.S. District Court found that New London had “shown a rational basis for the policy.” In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

Too smart for police work, "Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test."

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/01/co...ople-from-beco
Odd. But, I have no problem with the police department being able to set their own criteria for employment. If it were a private business, neither would you. In fact, you'd be outraged at any other outcome.
Rather than sue,....

.... he should have expended his efforts on finding another department for a position.
He was 49 and they could not discriminate for age.
Odd. But, I have no problem with the police department being able to set their own criteria for employment. If it were a private business, neither would you. In fact, you'd be outraged at any other outcome. Originally Posted by timpage
I agree that every employer should set the criteria - including ignoring affirmative action policies, if it were a free country. Unfortunately, we are but serf's to the enlightened liberals, put here to do their bidding, and keep our filthy mouth's shut.
I agree that every employer should set the criteria - including ignoring affirmative action policies, if it were a free country. Unfortunately, we are but serf's to the enlightened liberals, put here to do their bidding, and keep our filthy mouth's shut. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer

At least the liberals are enlightened wish your side was//
This happens all the time in the private sector as well. I'm certain you've heard stories all the time about people not getting hired because they're overqualified for the same reasons stated in the article - companies are worried about the employees moving on as soon as they find a better position.
I agree that every employer should set the criteria - including ignoring affirmative action policies, if it were a free country. Unfortunately, we are but serf's to the enlightened liberals, put here to do their bidding, and keep our filthy mouth's shut. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Yeah, that's the ticket. Allow employers and unions to discriminate based on sex (you got daughters that want jobs?), color (keep the darkies in the ghetto), and nationality (no dagos, spicks and dirty Irish need apply). Yep, that's the America I want to live in.

While I am not a fan of affirmative action policies, that does not mean that discrimination in any form is acceptable. So, watch your mouth.
Given their criteria which is "the dumber the better," the Yiddish barista and gritsboy would be the highest ranked peace officers in the UNIVERSE!!!
Now CuteOldGuy is complaining because government chose not to involve itself and tell an entity what to do. This is the CuteOldGuy who wants government to "leave everyone alone?"

CuteOldGuy, does this even make sense to you?

Old Dingus
Now CuteOldGuy is complaining because government chose not to involve itself and tell an entity what to do. This is the CuteOldGuy who wants government to "leave everyone alone?"
Originally Posted by Old Dingus
Please don't fail to differentiate between private business and the government, of which a police department is a part. A sliding pay scale based on academic achievement and/or academic status can be just as much a part of the issue as "IQ" scores, not to mention the internal politics of administrators not want grunts to have better academic credentials than the superviors.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Allow employers and unions to discriminate based on sex (you got daughters that want jobs?), color (keep the darkies in the ghetto), and nationality (no dagos, spicks and dirty Irish need apply). Yep, that's the America I want to live in.

While I am not a fan of affirmative action policies, that does not mean that discrimination in any form is acceptable. So, watch your mouth. Originally Posted by awl4knot
You just set up a strawman argument. Opposing affirmative action policies is NOT the same thing as supporting discrimination. Affirmative action policies apply EVEN IF THERE IS NO DISCRIMINATION.

So, if the test applicants that pass a color-blind civil service exam are 90% white and Asian, but the minority (black and hispanic) population in that city is 40%, then affirmative action will require you to hire sufficient numbers of lower-scoring blacks and hispanics to bring their numbers up to 40% of the hirees.

Opposing hiring quotas like that is not the same as supporting, for example, discrimination by refusing to hire competent minorities.
maybe the guy was a jerkoff & they realized that during the interview process ....then conveniently used the test score loophole to get rid of him.

Barring smart people?

I know here in California we like our cops dumb as a doornail.

Odd. But, I have no problem with the police department being able to set their own criteria for employment. If it were a private business, neither would you. In fact, you'd be outraged at any other outcome. Originally Posted by timpage
I know you don't have a problem with government dumbing down society. Liberalism is the death of America, and Tim loves it.